StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Time for 'No Repeats'
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:01 pm   Post subject: Time for 'No Repeats' Reply with quote

I am not even sure if this is feasible or able to really be discussed as it is most likely Jeric's decision and the admins, but I thought I would at least post my opinion and get some feedback.

SST continues to grow exponentially and with that the SST library continues to grow. SST now has over 2,500 albums and almost 45,000 songs. This gives the SST community a vast amount of scores and songs to choose from, but with such a large library of music some stuff gets neglected. There are so many excellent composers and scores in the SST library that seem to rarely get played if at all. So, what exactly is this whole post for you ask.

Well, I think that the 8 day 'no repeats' waiting period should be increased to 10 days or maybe even 12 days. I think this will continue to force people to choose some different scores from the more prolific composers. It would also force people to find and discover other composers and scores that might not get played as often. In the end, by increasing the 'no repeats' time it will continue to allow variety.

I am well aware this will not be favorable for some as people tend to not like change, but I personally think this will allow the SST community to discover and enjoy an even wider selection of music.

Well there is my idea so everyone feel free to comment and I look forward to hearing the opinion of Jeric and the admins on this subject as well.
Canada Arya
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8715

Arya is offline View user's profile Send private message View Arya's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, with all the tracks we have available, it would be easy to extend the wait to 10 days.

I'm one of the worst for choosing only a small number of tracks, so this will force me to find some new material. I'd welcome the incentive to go exploring Very Happy
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

100% agreed Nate. Good idea.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic has been raised here, here and here. It's quite interesting reading. I assume there was no such policy in the beginning. Some people have since suggested even month-long 'no repeat' periods. It is hard to say what is the ideal 'no repeat' period.

The reasoning behind nate's suggestion makes sense: there is an inverse relationship between the size of the SST database and the number of tracks that are played regularly. In other words, the number of "popular" tracks is becoming an ever decreasing percentage of the total tracks available to play, leaving a larger number of tracks either never discovered or rarely played.

How to get those "neglected" tracks in the queue is a challenging problem.

I agree with nate in principle, but I would exclude new releases. The high demand for, and hence high rotation of, new material is understandable. Perhaps there could be a two-tiered 'no repeat' policy to allow for this. e.g. 8 day 'no repeat' period for 3 months, then revert to 10 or 12 days?

I was also thinking that perhaps exceptions can be made for special events e.g. when it is time to nominate for the 2006 Award for Best Soundtrack, the 'no repeat' period could be reduced to 4 or 5 days for 2006 releases during the voting period?

Anyway, I understand the need for simplicity here and I didn't mean to go off on a tangent. Razz
Admiral (Administrator)

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSnowLeopard wrote:
This topic has been raised here, here and here. It's quite interesting reading. (...)

(...)I agree with nate in principle, but I would exclude new releases.

Interesting explication Snow.

BTW: Idea with new releases has also been raised - here

Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

molossus wrote:
BTW: Idea with new releases has also been raised - here

Thanks Molossus. So much for my research skills...lol. I could have saved myself some typing.
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a good idea. There have been many times I'll hear something played and think "Didn't we just hear that the other day?!" Variety is our friend. Very Happy Nice job Nate!
Cadet 4

Member#: 9440

Gith is offline View user's profile Send private message Gith's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree also!
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to wait to extend the repeat policy until we were able to fully implement the disabled request buttons. Now that we have that in place I will entertain the idea of having no repeats for 30 days as long as we can exempt new tracks with a 3 day no repeat policy. I'll need the time of some admins to do this. We have a couple of higher priority things to do first but I can put this near the top of the features pile.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news JERIC. Thanks!

Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
I wanted to wait to extend the repeat policy until we were able to fully implement the disabled request buttons. Now that we have that in place I will entertain the idea of having no repeats for 30 days as long as we can exempt new tracks with a 3 day no repeat policy. I'll need the time of some admins to do this. We have a couple of higher priority things to do first but I can put this near the top of the features pile.

*bows to the awesomeness of Jeric* Cool
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think extending the "no-repeats" time is a great idea. However, I personally fell that 30 days might be a bit much. Maybe 15 days (a French fortnight) as a bridge? With my personal collection I rotate it on a 15-day schedule, but I have far, far less music than SST.
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather vote for 10 days.
The reason may not sound as well grounded like the others, but I personally think if someone wants to listen to certain track and misses it, it's a little harsh to wait a full month until she/he/it has the possibility of hearing it.

But it's SST, so let's democracy(= the admins Wink) decide...
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

We can certainly start off small then work our way up to longer no repeat times . 30 days does seem kinda harsh. Thank you all for your input.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree, 30 days may be a little much. But, I think 2 weeks (14 days) seems rather reasonable given how large the playlist is now. Maybe at some point down the road it can be revisited and increased to 3 weeks or the 30 days as you suggest. I am glad to see that this was received so well. I had expected at least some people to be against it. Thanks for all of the contributions and thank you Jeric for your consideration.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: