StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Time for 'No Repeats'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess another question is how long is a CD considered a new addition? Is it just the first month until the next playlist addition? Is it longer than that? If it is only a month and we go with the idea of a 3 day wait period that has the potential for a song to play 10 times. That seems a bit much to me personally. At a 5 day wait, it has the potential of only 6 times, which seems a bit more reasonable. I think if the wait time is too short then many will just select the newer albums to hear what they sound like and the older albums will get neglected.

Obviously there will probably be kinks to work out and the first try may not be the best solution, but based on all the info so far in this thread I think a 15 'no repeat' time for everything and a 5 'no repeat' for new releases (as long as they are considered a new release for only one month) seems to be a good starting point.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with 5 days for new releases.

My only question is: what do we define as a new release? Only those soundtracks added when the Playlist is updated? Anything released in 2006?
Lieutenant

Member#: 11136

stefan_nl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View stefan_nl's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the 15 days no repeat and also think that 5 days for new releases is the best choice.

TheSnowLeopard wrote:
what do we define as a new release?

In my opinion a new releas is an album that has been added with the latest playlist update, independent of the year of release.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 849

FoxMcleod64 is offline View user's profile Send private message View FoxMcleod64's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can agree with a 5 day 'no repeat' for that month's new additions to the playlist.

Thanks to Jeric and SST team for allowing for listener feedback and input before making any changes.

jbarta VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 10794

jbarta is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View jbarta's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
OK, sounds like 15 days is the winner. What about new releases? 3 days sound fine?

"New releases" if defined as "first month they are introduced" then, yes 3 days sounds great. Otherwise, we could create the potential of having brand new albums joining the ranks of the "long lost" albums because folks don't know what that ST sounds like, and don't grow familiar with it soon enough. Take for example, the new (and awesome) ST from Globus, I somehow managed to miss the entire first run of all of those songs. Don't know how, but I did. And I listen frequently, (not 24/7, but probably 30hrs a week or more). If that album was on a 15 day no repeat, I still would not have heard anything off of it yet, except what JERIC or the other Admin's manually put back in queue. I think 3 days is good. Keeps the new stuff in queue, while allowing the "classics" to get plenty of air time. I grow weary of some of the same old classics getting played over and over again, it starts to sound like the classic rock stations. And I agree that we don't want SST to become to repetitive with the new albums, but I don't think that will happen in the first month of a new album. (unless they come out with a Forbidden Zone 2 or something like that, in which case, maybe we would need to put in an "exception" rule Wink)

*registers vote for 3 day first month for new release, and 15 day no repeat for all others.*

J.
Cadet 4

Member#: 9440

Gith is offline View user's profile Send private message Gith's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.. 15/3 seems fair enough.
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan_nl wrote:
In my opinion a new releas is an album that has been added with the latest playlist update, independent of the year of release.

Yeah, I'd go along with that. Nate then asked the next logical question...

natedogg_23 wrote:
how long is a CD considered a new addition?

That is a tough question. 30-60 new CD's are added each month. That is a lot of new material. There are many from 3 months back and further that I haven't heard yet. But I also think there are only a few new releases that have all their tracks blocked by the current No Repeat policy due to high demand (eg Lady In The Water or POTC). Most are introduced into the Playlist gradually and there is usually a good mix of old and new. I need to think about this one, but my first thought would be...1 month??
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8715

Arya is offline View user's profile Send private message View Arya's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

15/5 sounds best to me, I think 3 days is just a *little* too short.

As for what I personally would consider a new release...that's a tough one. I think I'd agree with the idea of 1 month, enough time for all the excitement to fade and for new material to come out and replace it Cool
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider a new release less than 30 days old.

Reason why I chose 3 was I want people to be able to request tracks the week after an update. If I add tracks on Saturday, it's possible that all the good ones are requested already and the weekday folks have to wait a whole week to hear new albums they are interested in.

What about 4 days? That way if something is added Saturday it can be requested again as early as Wednesday, and if Sunday as early as Thursday. If a new track is requested Monday it's unlikely you'll hear it Friday. If it is, then it must be a track a lot of people are wanting to hear. Good compromise?

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA maddy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2207

maddy is offline View user's profile Send private message View maddy's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 4 days for new material is a great compromise.

http://tinyurl.com/ltrodr
http://www.mostphotos.com/maddys713/portfolio
http://www.cutcaster.com/studio/pub/784218913

France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think 4 is a good number Wink
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

4 days sounds good Cool
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Luther. Let's try 3 days for new releases. If that gets annoying, and I sense it might, bump it to five or 8.

I like how we're trying to get even more variety into what is already an incredibly varied playlist. The 1-to-a-queue rules helped with that immensely. And the theme days are fun, if you like the theme. It was, I think, a demonstration of immeasurable tact to have vocal day over the weekend. I know there are some staunch non-supporters of the vocal tracks (not me, though). Kudos to phire.
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

then shalt thou count to four, no more, no less. Four shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be four. Five shalt thou not count, neither count thou three, excepting that thou then proceed to four. Six is right out. Wink

I mean, Four looks OK to me...

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be a little more difficult than I orginally thought, plus our admins are pretty busy right now. We won't forget about this one but we'll need your patience. Thanks for your support everyone.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: