StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$154.46

3 Donations:
$345.54

StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-5) Shru $50.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-3) Anonymous $50.00
Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Who are your real heroes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:40 pm   Post subject: Who are your real heroes? Reply with quote

Is there someone who has influenced your life, how you think or behave? Who do you look up to? Who do your admire? Who are your heroes?

They may be a family member or a friend. A work colleague, a teacher, coach or mentor. Or someone outside your social group, in the world of sport, entertainment or politics.

My choice comes from the world of science:
Carl Sagan
1934-1996

Carl Sagan first came to my attention when his Cosmos TV series aired in 1980. Up until then I had a love of science fiction but only a cursory interest in science. That series changed everything. It galvanised my interest in many of the natural sciences, particularly astronomy. Many of the books I have read on the subject are due to his influence.

I can't recommend enough these books written by Carl Sagan:
Cosmos
Contact
Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
(the best non-fiction book I have ever read)
Billions and Billions: Thoughts on Life and Death at the Brink of the Millennium

I'd still love to read (but have yet to find) Broca's Brain: Reflections on the Romance of Science and The Dragons of Eden, Speculations on the Evolution of Human Intelligence

Carl Sagan was that rare breed: an academic and a celebrity. I admire him because he was able to communicate often complex ideas to people with passion and enthusiasm. He was a great populariser of science. Every child should have a science teacher like Carl Sagan.

Last edited by TheSnowLeopard on Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSnowLeopard wrote:
My choice comes from the world of science: Carl Sagan

All I can say is Ditto "billions and billions" of times. Wink

You have said everything so eloquently, Snow, that I won't add anything except to point to the "SpaceClub" topic in the Community Forums where I mentioned: "...at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, and met Carl Sagan on numerous occasions, as he was a Professor Emeritus there. I had the great thrill of meeting him as well one time at a lecture and asked him to autograph my copy of his book."

There is also a music teacher from grade school and a math teacher in high school who completely changed my life. No need to mention their names. Probably everyone here can say the same thing. Thank heaven for those dedicated teachers. Smile
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
I had the great thrill of meeting him as well one time at a lecture and asked him to autograph my copy of his book.

Two, I saw that comment in the Space Club and I was hoping you would be the first to reply here. In fact your experience inspired this topic because Carl Sagan is very much my hero. I wish I could have met him, and even better, been taught by him. That must be such a special memory for you.
Commander

Member#: 12

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My heroes have always been cowboys Wink

And I find it very hard not to admire Masutatsu Oyama.
Lieutenant

Member#: 10227

vader_76 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View vader_76's Favorites
AIM Address
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put, my Father, has been and always will be my hero. He's taught me kindness, patience, compassion, and has always pushed me to the be the very best I can be in all that I do. He's supported my dreams, given me direction and helped keep me on the right path throughout my life.
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:29 pm   Post subject: Re: Who are your real heroes? Reply with quote

TheSnowLeopard wrote:

I'd still love to read (but have yet to find) Broca's Brain: Reflections on the Romance of Science and The Dragons of Eden, Speculations on the Evolution of Human Intelligence

I think we might be able to help you find those books SnowLeopard. You can send us an email at our site and we will look in our inventory for you! I remember seeing both of those books on our shelves. Smile

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My hero? My parents are one set of heroes to me. They have been supportive of what I want to do and have been immeasurably helpful in my pursuits!

Another hero of mine is the visionary Gene Roddenberry. I even have a picture of my hero father and the illustrious Gene together! Very Happy

(photo to come soon!)

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:51 pm   Post subject: Re: Who are your real heroes? Reply with quote

genericdragon wrote:
I think we might be able to help you find those books SnowLeopard. You can send us an email at our site and we will look in our inventory for you! I remember seeing both of those books on our shelves. Smile

Thanks for the offer gd. I am making my way through the SF Masterworks at the moment. When I get around to reading more Sagan I will keep you in mind. Thanks again.
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

genericdragon wrote:
My hero? My parents are one set of heroes to me. They have been supportive of what I want to do and have been immeasurably helpful in my pursuits!

Another hero of mine is the visionary Gene Roddenberry. I even have a picture of my hero father and the illustrious Gene together! Very Happy

(photo to come soon!)

... I finally found the picture, so here it is!

from left to right: My father's professor, Gene Roddenberry, my father. Very Happy This picture was taken in 1973 and the solar project in the background was my father's (I think it was for his doctorate).

PomPom
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11288

PomPom is offline View user's profile Send private message PomPom's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

he really is my hero !

What a man !!
Ensign

Member#: 13122

Pendrillion is offline View user's profile Send private message Pendrillion's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my Personal Heroes are Gene Roddenberry Peter Jackson and Frank Herbert

Peter Jackson did a great Interpretation of LOTR in a way that is the only right way... The Independent way...

Also did Gene Roddenberry by creating Star Trek

And Frank Herbert is stands paragon for perfectly written Science Fiction... Dune is for me like the Bible for a Christian Wink

I guess my dream in life is to make a Dune Movie likewise Peter Jackson did it with Lord of the Rings
USA BuyerQueen

Member#: 89

BuyerQueen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View BuyerQueen's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is corny, but I'm going to have to say my parents.

My father because he was the most diplomatic person I've ever known. He was fair, kind, and honest. He taught me "everything in moderation". Seems simple, but he was right.

My mother because she was my best friend. Not the "cool" mom on the block, but the one who watched out for everyone and was a friend to everyone she met. I didn't know she was my hero until we told her(along with the doctors) that she was going to die, and she said "I'm not scared to die, just tell me it to me straight". I knew she really meant it too. She wasn't afraid of anything
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2207

maddy is offline View user's profile Send private message View maddy's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My heroes are probably my parents and my brother. When I was little, I had an aneurysm burst in my brain and they didn't know if I'd live or not. Really scared my parents. My brother was in kindergarten at the time and knew his little sister was sick so he'd ask the teacher every day for extra coloring pages.

Then when I was a little older, my mom was afraid of my trying anything that might cause me to get hurt. My brother and dad told her to let me be a kid. I never felt badly towards my mom. I knew she was doing it only out of love for me.

I can thank my dad for my sense of humor. He was nutty and always trying to make us laugh. He appreciated words and the English language so much. And my mom instilled a love of music. She was a wonderful piano player and I used to love to hear her play.

My dad and mom may be gone now, but I still feel their presence.

http://tinyurl.com/ltrodr
http://www.mostphotos.com/maddys713/portfolio
http://www.cutcaster.com/studio/pub/784218913

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: