StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Musicals made into movies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic 
BYUTenderHeart
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 15772

BYUTenderHeart is offline View user's profile Send private message View BYUTenderHeart's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:23 pm   Post subject: Musicals made into movies Reply with quote

In addition to movie scores I greatly enjoy musicals, and many of the greats have been made into movies.

There are already some soundtracks of musicals turned movies on SST (Phantom, Sound of Music, Chicago) and movies that were in effect musicals (Moulin Rouge, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, etc.).

I guess the question is there room on SST for more such soundtracks, especially of some of the greats of yesteryear? (My Fair Lady, Oklahoma, Mary Poppins, and many more)

What are the thoughts of other listeners?
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a big mixture of likes and dislikes on the musicals here at SST. Personally, I love musicals, but I know there are many on here that are strong objectors to them. The best thing I can suggest is try posting the ones you want and let the forums play it out. I know that Mary Poppins has been requested before ( http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3310 ). Personally, I would love to see a lot more Andrew Lloyd Webber on here( i.e. Joseph & His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar). I wish you the best in trying to get these added.

edit: On a personal note, I'd love to see more Rogers & Hammerstein on here as well. South Pacific has always been one of my favs Very Happy

Last edited by Asriana on Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

BYUTenderHeart decided to open a can of worms almost right away. There are many strong opinions at SST about musicals. Request a musical and hang out in the chat when it plays, if you can stand the heat. You'll quickly learn that folks either love or hate them, and are not hesitant to vocalize that. Just don't take anything personally.

jeff
sdg
BYUTenderHeart
Ensign
Ensign

BYUTenderHeart is offline View user's profile Send private message View BYUTenderHeart's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still getting a feel for the community here. I figured there would be differing opinions on this, that's why I asked.

It won't hurt my feelings if others don't like musicals, I'm sure these folks like things that I would prefer not listening to as well. Everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think each musical soundtrack should be looked at individually and not apply any general rules or guidelines. I probably won't buy any older ones since there are higher priorities in the budget. However, if one was donated and I feel it won't annoy most SSTers then I may add it.

Thanks for bringing this up BYUTenderHeart.

P.S. In case anyone was wondering, we don't do broadway. There are specific stations for that.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Asriana wrote:
I'd love to see more Rogers & Hammerstein on here as well.

My faves too, Asri. Smile
BYU, you're not alone. Many of us SSTers love musicals! I've often thought of sending in My Fair Lady and Brigadoon.

That said, it seems like there have been more and more vocal tracks added to the playlist recently. And even though I donated Phantom to the site, I personally prefer to listen to instrumentals playing in the background while I'm working.
JohnMcClane
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 15880

JohnMcClane is offline View user's profile Send private message JohnMcClane's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love musicals, but I also don't want to hear them all the time.

Although there aren't many musical scores here (at least not yet), maybe there could be a musicals day or something? Or maybe I am a little too much a head of myself here?
BYUTenderHeart
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnMcClane wrote:
I also love musicals, but I also don't want to hear them all the time.

I agree with this statement. You would go nuts if you had to listen to musicals all day. I do think they are nice though for an occasional change of pace.
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, but if we are into musicals, then why not "real" operas? Wagner, Puccini, Berg, Goldenthal, Glass, etc.
There's plenty enough of inspirational origins for many filmscores... Wink
USA workervr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10921

workervr is offline View user's profile Send private message View workervr's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

while I think I brought this up a while ago.. rent while on broadway was a decent movie and did have a score.. etc.. hope all have been well being a mommy takes more time than one including I would imagine so I am just now catching up!
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

bpewien wrote:
Hm, but if we are into musicals, then why not "real" operas? Wagner, Puccini, Berg, Goldenthal, Glass, etc.
There's plenty enough of inspirational origins for many filmscores... Wink

And there are some operas that are film/TV soundtracks. I'm not a huge fan of opera, but I do like the BBC's version of Heinrich Marschner's Der Vampyr.
http://www.amazon.com/Vampyr/dp/6303002021/sr=1-3/qid=1162216154/ref=sr_1_3/002-3903995-9466460?ie=UTF8&s=video

There is also a soundtrack, which people are giving away used, but I happen to like. My dad bought it for me on a lark. The vampyr's aria where he explains what he is and how he survives actually gave me chills.
http://www.amazon.com/Vampyr-Opera-Original-BBC-TV-Soundtrack/dp/B000008LXX/sr=1-12/qid=1162216243/ref=sr_1_12/002-3903995-9466460?ie=UTF8&s=music

I'm not suggesting that SST add this. Mostly I just like the piece and felt like bringing it up.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

BYUT - The question of adding more musicals to the playlist seems to be for another thread or threads.

That said, why not let's talk about current and upcoming movie musicals? Other people seem to like them. What are your favorites? I myself am eagerly anticipating Dreamgirls this winter. Honestly, I'm really curious about the possibility of Pippin being adapted. (There were rumours to that effect last year.) And I think it would be great if we could see the German Tanz der Vampire as a movie, or even a filmed stage show, because the Broadway version was not very good and I missed the Japanese.
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 15230

Valfor is offline View user's profile Send private message Valfor's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, Tanz der Vampire as a movie would be great. I think I saw the musical five or six times while it played here. *sigh*

What's Pippin? The only Pippin I know is from LotR. *g*
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valfor wrote:
What's Pippin? The only Pippin I know is from LotR. *g*

Y'know, we had a cat named Pippin. Everyone asked if we named him after the hobbit, and until a few years ago we could only stare blankly at them, not knowing anything about LOTR.

We actually named our cat after the 1972 Broadway musical Pippin. It's ostensibly the story of Charlemagne's son Pippin, but is really about trying to find out who you are in life, and realizing that nothing is ever completely fulfilling. It's a comedy. It's really good. I just listened to it again today. (Those in the US can hear some of the songs here: http://www.napster.com/player/album/12085000 )

It's one of my favorite musicals ever, but I'm not sure that they could make a movie out of it well. (They did film a performance of it, some benefit, but it had Ben Vereen.)

Valfor, I am so jealous that you got to see Tanz der Vampire. I have the complete recording, so that's as close as I can get. So far.
France Evan_Evans
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 14537

Evan_Evans is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Evan_Evans's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like also to have more Musical on SST.
Even you cannot spend your day listening to it.
I did appreciate a Little Shop of Horrors one
day or a Beauty(& the Beast) full Menken and
Ashman score. But I'd like to get others like
Paul Williams who made such good music for
De Palma's "Phantom Of the Paradise"
(not only 4 Xmas Muppets).
Special note for a really recent original Musical
movie about PunkRock is :
"Hedwig and the Angry Inch", I will post a link
for listenners if anybody's interrest in it.
The two other ones missing for me are :
- "The Wiz" (Funky Version of Wiz of Oz by Quincy
Jones/Diana Ross & Michael Jackson) and
- TOMMY (Ken Russel by The WHO) but I understand
why some of you are not so stick to Musicals.
(Last thing : Andrew Loyd is OK but maybe not
Classicals or maybe if you insist...?)
Last Last thing : Thanks LadyInque for precision
about Pippin... Cat like me sometimes Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: