StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

15 Minutes of Fame or Brushes with Greatness
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Tjoe
Commander
Commander

Member#: 6471

Tjoe is offline View user's profile Send private message Tjoe's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:52 am   Post subject: 15 Minutes of Fame or Brushes with Greatness Reply with quote

It seems that many SST members are involved in media in some way. Either as a screenwriter, extra on a show, director/producer, editing, etc. Or, they have worked with or know a famous person (not just met, but know them).

Most of this information is given out in chat, but the only people that see it are those that are on at the time, or read the log.

Please put your 15 minutes of fame or brushes with greatness here so that we can all know who you are and what you do.
USA maddy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2207

maddy is offline View user's profile Send private message View maddy's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Does spending 4 days with Leonard Nimoy, George Takei, Harlan Ellison, Robert Silverberg, Orson Scott Card, Stan Lee, Gil Kane (creator of the Green Lantern) and quite a few others count??

Working at a science fiction conference helps! Smile

Most of the others I have mentioned in the past, I make sure I say I've only met them. The folks I've listed above would probably remember me. I can't say if that's good news or not! Laughing

Last edited by maddy on Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Tjoe
Commander
Commander

Member#: 6471

Tjoe is offline View user's profile Send private message Tjoe's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and if you know your degrees of seperation from Kevin Bacon, throw that in too Very Happy
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2207

maddy is offline View user's profile Send private message View maddy's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Now as far as met...there's Christopher Lee, Leslie Nielsen, Greg Morris, Moebius, Fred Saberhagen, Roger Zelazny, Theodore Sturgeon, Forrest Tucker, Vincent Price, and probably quite a few I'm forgetting. Unfortunately, most of these people have died now. Sad

I can't believe I forgot Richard Edlund! He was the SFX supervisor on the first filmed Star Wars trilogy and then went on to do the SFX for Ghostbusters, 2010, etc. He was giving a talk and I met him afterwards. Oh well...

Last edited by maddy on Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
USA scholar_matt
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 11017

scholar_matt is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website scholar_matt's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Where to begin?
From childhood I have had constant contact with an actress who was supposed to be a big thing in the 40s-60s, but her final big role was Martha Kent in Superman, Phyllis Thaxter, she was my grandfather's 1st cousin.

Back in 1986(ish) I met Billy Joel when he was making a music video, "Night is Still Young," and my father worked for the NYC Dept. of Environ. Protection. Joel made the video on a sea-going vessel, The North River, and he was playing a sailor or something, and my dad was the Chief Engineer of the vessel. I hung out with him for over 12 hours...p.s. I was (and am) a huge Joel fan.

Who else? David Chappelle, Rob Schneider, Paula Poundstone, the Kinks, Kevin James, Ray Romano, Chris Rock, Pantera (band, before they became hard rock), Jesus Jones, Ralph Nader, Rudy Guiliani, NY Gov. Pataki, Ellen DeGeneres, Michael Moore (director). Can't remeber all, and those were just in college. I worked for the Student Activities Board at SUNY Cortland.

After College, met Tony Randall (at the American Musem of Natural History), Dee Schneider (Twisted Sister), Dan Lauria at a Starbucks in Farmingdale(The Wonder Years dad), Kevin Kline on the set of In and Out[i/] (shot in Northport), Alan Alda in the Hamptons, Carl Yastrimski (Baseball great - dated his niece), and Dr. Ruth Westheimer (in Charleston, SC). These were chance encounters

Lindsay Lohan - when she was 12-14 years old and student at the junior/high school where I substitute taught for three years (for privacy rules, cannot disclose school, let's just say that the SPRINGs were not that COLD in this HARBOR).

Met Sandra Bullock, Hugh Grant, Alicia Witt (actors), Marc Lawrence (direct.). I was a background actor (fancy word for 'extra-with-no-lines') at a country club scene at the Muttontown Country Club on Long Island. Iwas with theme for two days, and [i]all
of the footage and scenes I was in was cut from the final product, but I did make the trailer!!
Alas, there comes a Time for all of Humanity to embrace the greatness of History; for it is something that was always behind Us, is always around Us, and eventually We will become part of such Greatness. ~~Author~~Me 2005 (R)

Last edited by scholar_matt on Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

way back when i was working at my local regional airport some guy came running passed me in the hallway. It was Tom cruse. late 80's i think. he was getting on his jet or Paul Newmans. He was leaving from racing at Summit point Raceway. Funny thing was the girl at the check in was like Hey do you know who that was. Me with a look on my face as to Huh..while munching on a donut stick i said nope. She said it was Tom Cruse. Like said "really? didn't look like him. Man if a known that i could have washed there plane. And so one of my business opportunities gone out the window. Does meeting the CEO's of dunkn donuts and getting a tour of the inside of there Jet count?
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

wow maddy! I'm envious! You've met alot of really good sci-fi writers! And you hung out with the man, Stan Lee! *explodes in a fit of jealousy* Wink

I have had one brush with fame, but not for 15 minutes. It was for 10 years. Charles M. Shultz, creator of "Peanuts" was my neighbor for those 14 years. I would see him every morning on his way to work as I waited for my school bus. Sparky was a very private man and didn't talk much... but his wife was a real joy to be around. Smile

Sadly he died in 2000, long after I had moved away.

Tjoe wrote:
Oh, and if you know your degrees of seperation from Kevin Bacon, throw that in too Very Happy

I'm four degrees from Monica Lewinsky, does that count? Wink

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Pixie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:36 pm   Post subject: Re: 15 Minutes of Fame or Brushes with Greatness Reply with quote

Tjoe wrote:
...brushes with greatness...

I have carnal knowledge of Cocles Cool

Very Happy
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

pixie Laughing

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10545

Morpheus is offline View user's profile Send private message Morpheus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Mkay, this is the second time I have written this…so I will probably forget some, but here it goes!

Saffron Burrows I met at a premiere (looking quite thin actually) along with her girlfriend Fiona Shaw!

Catherine McCormack I met at the opening/press night of a show she was in, really good fun! Had lots of stories from Braveheart, and we went out dancing afterwards.

Met Emma Watson in the canteen at a film studio while musing over what salad to have. Met Daniel Radcliffe and David Thewlis later in the same week on set!

One of my friends is Toby Froud, he was the baby in The Labyrinth!

Met George Lucas briefly in a hotel in Cannes, just a hello how are you kinda thing! Also met Natalie Portman and Hayden Christian at a party, Misha Barton on a one of the yachts in the bay….forget which one!

I saw fleeting glimpses of loads more people in Cannes, Sharon Stone (was on the red carpet with her), Monica Belluchi, but the place is full of them, so it is cheating a bit!

Met Gael Garcia Bernal in the pub round the corner from where I live, he was acting in a show that was on up the road. He was great, bought us all a drink!

Met M. Night Shyamalan in the Cinemastore in Central London. That was weird cos I had gone there to buy The Village soundtrack (they get them early at the shop) and when I turned round, there he was, browsing some books! I said hi, asked him about a Q&A he had done that I couldn’t get a ticket for! He was great, not at all grand about being a huge director or anything.

Alan Rickman in a bar after an opening night. A friend of his was in the cast I think, but suffice to say, he is really strange in real life! Kind of like his character in Galaxy Quest, but older!

David Schwimmer came to eat in the restaurant I was having my birthday dinner in. He came in on his own in a cap…like no-one would recognise him looking like that, in London.

Met David Julyan at a party, talked a lot about composing and the fact that Nolan was not using him to score Batman. He was a great laugh.

Vin Diesel at a premiere party for…Chronicles Of Riddick I think it was! He didn’t mingle tho, just stayed in the VIP area!

That will do for the mo….this is turning into an essay!
Norway Muriel VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 333

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed some norwegian celebrities on the street and shared a plane with some.

I starred in a county-wide documentary about a local church when I was about 13.
I've been an extra on a norwegian soap opera called "Hotel Cæsar".

I have 2 degrees of seperation from Kevin Bacon.

I was the VFX supervisor for a documentary in which Viggo Mortensen starred as himself.
Viggo is credited alongside Kevin Bacon in "Search for Tomorrow".

Oh, and I also have my own entry at IMDb
MasterChief
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 11611

MasterChief is offline View user's profile Send private message MasterChief's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm animator by trade and I have worked with a few people in the movie and games industry. One of which was Richard, don't remember the last name now that I think about it, but he was the art director in charge of the animators that produced the floating blood sequence in the Star Trek Series of movies. I worked with several people, as well as a matte painter from Jurrasic Park. I also met the screenwriter for Jurrasic Park, he was cool. I am friends with Mark Swanson, former animator with Don Bluth, he art directed An American Tale, the first one. Alos know Don Pierce, who works with Mark, both of which have also been Disney animators. Met Pete Doctor from Pixar Animation. He was great. He came to the college I was teaching at in Minnesota. What a great guy! When I was in high school I met Emilio Estevez. I was NOT impressed. He was an arrogant jerk! Anyway, I think that about wraps it up for me. There are others, but I don't want to ramble on. Oh, one more...! The best was meeting the Rev. Billy Graham in person in Hong Kong. That was awesome. There is one amazing man!
Johnnyecks
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 11563

Johnnyecks is offline View user's profile Send private message Johnnyecks's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went to school at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh where I studied under Tom Savini (Special FX master for tons of films like Friday the 13th...all of em.., Creepshow, From Dusk Till Dawn, Martin, Night of the Living Dead...etc...).

I also met John Williams privately after the Boston '01 concert. I was placed on a guest list, and was brought up to his "relax" room, where I got to sit down and talk to him for about 10 minutes or so, and then posed for a picture of just him and I. It was amazing. I will never forget it!

Oh, and my wife and I were on TV all throughout the US. We won a contest held through Dunkin Donuts. We won a wedding, and highlights of it were on news stations all over the country, and possibly will be used as commercials. Even "Ant" from the Dennis Miller Show / Last Comic Standing / and Celebrity Fit Club, was there interviewing us.
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:36 pm   Post subject: Re: 15 Minutes of Fame or Brushes with Greatness Reply with quote

Pixie wrote:
Tjoe wrote:
...brushes with greatness...

I have carnal knowledge of Cocles Cool

Very Happy
ROLFMAO! nice Pixie:)
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 3098

rebeccabutterfly is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website rebeccabutterfly's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

love it pixie.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: