StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Book Recommendations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
KiBlast
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 10393

KiBlast is offline View user's profile Send private message KiBlast's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:26 pm   Post subject: Book Recommendations Reply with quote

Lately I have found myself desiring to read a lot more. I read both of Malcom Gladwell's books, The Tipping Point and Blink, over this winter break, and I am looking for more books to read.

My goal in reading is to learn as much as I can about everything, to stretch my mind, to expand my horizons, and all that jazz. I wish I could read the whole library, but that just isn't practical. So, I have to choose somewhere to start...

What would you recommend as a reading list?
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another thread about what folks are currently reading, I think. You might start there.

Of course, I'm always happy to recommend on of my favorites.

jeff
sdg
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey KiBlast,

I would be remiss if I didn't recommend to you my current reading adventure, The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, a timeless classic. Be warned, it's quite a commitment: I've read 800 pages, and I'm just over half way through! But, it's a fantastic story, gloriously written, and I can't believe how much I've learned about 19th Century European culture as I've worked through it.

Highly recommended! Smile
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

KiBlast is offline View user's profile Send private message KiBlast's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks!
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4415

AK-Mal_Owner is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AK-Mal_Owner's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Deerslayer by James Fennimore Cooper is another... I've been working my way through that was well... it's tougher because the language is different and can be a tough read. I've also picked up Arthur C. Clark's Timeslip (I think that's what it's called)... it might be Time's Eye now that I think about it.... a little slow at the beginning, and you have to keep up on what's going on and when.

-akm
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you are into any fantasy books, but I just started reading a Forgotten Realms series called "The Legacy of the Drow". There are 3 books and I'm about half way through book 1. Another great series is by David Eddings. Both the Belgariad and the Mallorean are great!

Happy Reading! Very Happy
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco
Probably one of the best books I've ever read.
Masterpiece.
Crime story with very interesting historical background (medieval times).
Great intelectual entertainment. Much much better than movie.

"Medicus" by Noah Gordon.
Maybe not as much intelectual story like Eco's book. A little lighter kind of story, but also very good medieval novel with great pieces of a story about medieval jewish and persian cultures. Plus a lot of interesting adventures of heroes. Everything filled with, maybe a little too idealistic, but elevating after all, spirit of humanism.
And, of course, emotional things like friendship or love story with a lot of passion are included Wink

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't read all that much, but when I do I enjoy pretty much anything written by Clive Cussler. His books are about a character called Dirk Pitt who is kinda like an American version of James Bond. So, my recommendation would be any book written by Mr Cussler.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

molossus wrote:
"The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco
Probably one of the best books I've ever read.
Masterpiece.
Crime story with very interesting historical background (medieval times).
Great intelectual entertainment. Much much better than movie.

Agreed. A very dense novel. Not what I would call light reading, but this is literature.

My personal choice is my favorite book: To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Wise. Compassionate. Deeply moving. A must-read!
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestions.

**Sci-Fi**

Otherland Series: Tad Williams
Book 1: City of Golden Shadow
Book 2: River of Blue Fire
Book 3: Mountain of Green Glass
Book 4: Sea of Silver Light

Ranks of Bronze, David Drake (Roman Centurions in Space!)

Landover Series: Terry Brooks
Book 1: Magic Kingdom For Sale - Sold!
Book 2: The Black Unicorn
Book 3: Wizard At Large
Book 4: The Tangle Box
Book 5: Witches' Brew

1632: Eric Flint (Ring of Fire Series)

There are the various Star Wars and Star Trek books.

Ringworld Series: Larry Niven
Book 1: Ringworld
Book 2: The Ringworld Engineers
Book 3: The Ringworld Throne
Book 4: Ringworld's Children

Guardians of the Flame Series: Joel Rosenberg

Book 1: The Sleeping Dragon
Book 2: The Sword and the Chain
Book 3: The Silver Crown
Book 4: The Heir Apparent
Book 5: The Warrior Lives
Book 6: The Road to Ehvenor
Book 7: The Road Home
Book 8: Not Exactly the Three Musketeers
Book 9: Not Quite Scaramouche
Book 10: Not Really the Prisoner of Zenda

Hitchhiker's Guide Trilogy: Douglas Adams
Book 1: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Book 2: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Book 3: Life, The Universe, and Everything
Book 4: So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish
Book 5: Mostly Harmless

Dirk Gently Series: Douglas Adams
Book 1: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Book 2: Long Dark Teatime of the Soul
Book 3: Salmon of Doubt (incomplete)

Good Omens, Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman

and finally, but not least...

Discworld Series: Terry Pratchet

There are 35 Discworld books in the series. Rather than list them all here you can read the list in the wikipedia article.

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends/co-workers/fellow soundtracks fans sent me this email today. I don't read much so I really don't know a good book from a bad one. But I'd like to at least help him by getting the word out.

Scott A. Davis wrote:
Hi Everyone,

A few of you already know this. But for those that don’t, I’d like to announce the publication of my two novels. I’ve spent the last several years working on multiple writing projects, so now it's time to see what I can make of all the work that I’ve done. These books are for sale at several online outlets and I’m hoping to get them into more distribution channels throughout the year. They both are full length fiction novels available as 6” by 9” special edition paperbacks (larger than a standard paperback, also known as a “trade paperback”) and links are below.

The first novel is called The Farm and is a contemporary thriller about a man who reunites with his long-lost family and finds that he can’t escape his long-forgotten past.
http://www.lulu.com/content/567324

The second is called The Aftermath Book I, and is the first of a three part science fiction epic set on a future planet Earth.
http://www.lulu.com/content/448680

The above links connect to my publisher’s site (lulu.com), and this is the only place that electronic copies of the books are available (and they’re dirt cheap-only $0.77 and $1.24, respectively). However, if you are more comfortable with the larger retailers, I’ve included links to the books at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Books a Million at the end of this email.

The reason I’m sending this announcement, though, is not to sell books. This isn’t a money-making venture for me by a long shot. The reason I’m doing this is to hopefully get enough exposure to get a deal with an agent or major publisher. And for this purpose, I need your help. There are three ways that you can help me out. First is to spread the word-if you could, please send this email to anyone you know who likes to read and ask them to do the same. Second, if you read one of my books and actually like it, please take a few minutes to review it at one of the online retailers (many allow reader reviews). And third, if you know of any way I can further promote these books, please let me know. I’m a newbie at this, so any information would be most helpful.

A few people have asked that I sign copies of my books. I am more than happy to do this for anyone who buys one. That way, you can have proof when you say “I knew Scott Davis before he went to prison.” Also, please be aware that these books are not for children. Adults only, please.

Okay, I’ve taken up enough of your life with this very long email. Thanks much for your time and feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Happy reading!

Sincerely,

Scott A. Davis

Other Links

The Farm

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Scott-Davis/dp/1430305088/sr=1-20/qid=1167953512/ref=sr_1_20/103-0999644-3619020?ie=UTF8&s=books
Barnes and Noble
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781430305088&itm=15
Books A Million
http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=3679538052686&isbn=1430305088

The Aftermath Book I

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Aftermath-Book-I-Scott-Davis/dp/143030927X/sr=1-21/qid=1167953563/ref=sr_1_21/103-0999644-3619020?ie=UTF8&s=books
Barnes and Noble
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781430309277&itm=8
Books A Million
http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=3679538052686&isbn=143030927X

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
KiBlast
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

Snow: To Kill A Mockingbird is a great classic! You might enjoy this if you haven't seen it yet: How To Kill A Mockingbird

GD: I'm also a fan of sci-fi! Douglas Adams rocks, and I have read all the Hitchhiker books. Some of the funniest stuff I've ever read!

My favorite fiction author is Orson Scott Card, because he has a brilliant way of putting you into the mind of a character. His most famous book, and my all-time favorite, is Ender's Game. This was the start of a four-part series and another four-part spinoff series. The Ender series addresses more of the technological and ethical issues of the Enderverse, whereas the Bean series gets more into the military and political intrigue of the Enderverse.

Ender Series
Book 1: Ender's Game
Book 2: Speaker for the Dead
Book 3: Xenocide
Book 4: Children of the Mind

Bean Series
Book 1: Ender's Shadow
Book 2: Shadow of the Hegemon
Book 3: Shadow Puppets
Book 4: Shadow of the Giant

Another series by OSC which is lesser known, but very good, is called the Homecoming Saga. I'm not too familiar with OSC's Mormon beliefs, but apparently this story parallels a pilgrimage story from the Book of Mormon.

Homecoming Saga
Book 1: The Memory of Earth
Book 2: The Call of Earth
Book 3: The Ships of Earth
Book 4: Earthfall
Book 5: Earthborn

I appreciate all the input from everybody! By the way, is there anyone on SST who likes to read non-fiction books at all? Any suggestions of non-fiction books that I could enjoy and learn from?
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already suggested one, KiBlast, but here are some others that I've enjoyed:

Population: 285 by Michael Perry

D-Day by Stephen Ambrose

jeff
sdg
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

KiBlast wrote:
Any suggestions of non-fiction books that I could enjoy and learn from?

Ummm... Maybe "Connections" by James Burke?

It shows chains of events and circumstances that produced technological achievments that led to our modern technology. Quite interesting look at history of science and men.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom is a great book. It's a very touching story and I also can recommend the TV movie that went with it that starred Hank Azaria.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: