StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$154.46

3 Donations:
$345.54

StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-5) Shru $50.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-3) Anonymous $50.00
Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Book Recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Children of Hurin by J.R.R. Tolkien was the last book I read. Oh so depressing, like a Wagnerian or Shakespearean tragedy! Plotwise, it was predictable regarding the ascent and fall of the main character, Turin, a proud, stubborn man who rose to leadership because of his charisma and fighting abilities.

The language was much more direct and easier to read than Tolkien's other books, probably because Tolkien didn't have the time to rewrite and expand on his story.

I thought the underlying message of the book was interesting. Turin's path wasn't predestined by his father's curse - Turin had several opportunities to change his life but chose ones that led to his ruin. Moreover, the book emphasized the deceptive and manipulative power of language, which I enjoyed. I recommend it if you're willing to read a dark story about a deeply flawed man.
USA LOTRKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13511

LOTRKing is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LOTRKing's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything from H.G. Wells is awesome, especially The Time Machine, War of the Worlds, and The Island of Doctor Moreau.

Another book I highly recommend is Bone a graphic novel by Jeff Smith. It is a fantasy novel just as good as LOTR and Harry Potter, with one small difference: it also happens to be a comedy. The best description I've ever heard of it was "If Tolkien had a better sense of humor, he would have written Bone."

I also recommend Mars and Return to Mars, both by Ben Bova.

And of course, there is the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Harry Potter series, if any book-lovers have not read these, then there is something wrong with them! Wink

My two favorite non-fiction books (aside from the Scriptures o' course) are: "Give Me A Break" and "Myths, Lies, and Stupidity" by John Stossel.

-LOTRKing
founder of the KBFC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: