StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Chaiyya Chaiyya Bollywood Joint
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Added
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Should we add this track to the playlist?
Dude, roll that joint (yes)
95%
 95%  [ 23 ]
Uh, we don't condone drug use here (no)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 24

Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:21 pm   Post subject: Chaiyya Chaiyya Bollywood Joint Reply with quote

I'm starting a thread to ask about getting this track from Inside Man added to the playlist.

We already have two versions (I'm guessing non-identical based on the track times, but I could be wrong) in the playlist:

Bombay Dreams

Dil Se..

In all honesty this song used to annoy me. Then I heard Chaiyya Chaiyya Bollywood Joint in Inside Man (where it fits very well in the opening scene) and found that I really liked that version. I guess it's technically a remix.
Either way it's not identical to either of the others to the best of my knowledge.

You can check out a clip here:
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000EMGAIU/ref=s9_asin_image_2/102-9432662-3877724

What say you, SST community?

jeff
sdg

Last edited by j2brown on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, the version on Inside Man is my favorite since the Dil Se original is too long. I think the Inside Man one will be requested more often, so I say yes!
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the version in the movie "Inside Man" was very effective and was one of the better versions of the song. I am all for having it as part of the SST playlist.
Poland Albi VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5692

Albi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Albi's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for it as well. Seems to me that people have been requesting the other versions because it was used (so effectively) in Inside Man Smile
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Albi wrote:
I'm all for it as well. Seems to me that people have been requesting the other versions because it was used (so effectively) in Inside Man Smile

You're right, Albi... I'm one of those.

Naturally, I vote 'yes'!
guruindian24
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 15418

guruindian24 is offline View user's profile Send private message guruindian24's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:36 am   Post subject: Chaiyya Chaiyya Reply with quote

Ok. If you are talking about 'Chaiyya Chaiyya' I would like to step in and talk about one of my favorite composer A R Rahman. This song is originally from movie 'Dil Se' and later included in 'Bombay Dreams',which is again from same composer.

Yes j2brown, I completely agree with you. It happened to me, it used to annoy me initially but later it became my all time favorite. The reason being his(A R Rahman) music takes sometime to grow on you, once they grow on you they stay with you.

The version on 'Inside Man' is technically a remix, so i would like it to be a part of SST.

I say a big 'YES'!!!
BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been thinking about this since the thread on redundant tracks came up. To clarify a couple of things-
The original version is the song in Dil Se. It was subsequently arranged (with small differences- electric guitar riffs, last stanza omitted) for the West-End/broadway musical Bombay Dreams. I believe the 'Bollywood Joint' track in Inside Man is the song in end credits with rap lyrics added (and some original vocals omitted).

We don't need so many versions of the same song since we're trying to cut down redundant tracks. Bombay Dreams' rating of 2.5 stars with 34 votes probably suggests that it hasn't been well-received so Jeric might want to look at taking it off entirely.

As for deciding between the original and the version in Inside Man, I leave it to you folks. I prefer Dil Se but that's because it's the original version, and also since it has been a part of my college years in India (and to a lesser extent, my dislike for rap).

Guru makes a valid point about Rahman's music taking time to grow. That has happened to me a number of times. I know we usually prefer the original version to others when deciding between similar cues in SST. However we're at a stage where the western ear is yet to find the sounds of indian film music entirely palatable. It is an acquired taste. The vice-versa is true as well (my folks in India would surely find any western-classical tenor or soprano as 'funny'). So I would perfectly understand if you'd prefer to keep the Inside Man version instead of Dil Se.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I didn't know which of the two versions was the original (if either of them were) I did know that the Bollywood Joint was a remix (and mentioned it in my original post). It is the one with rap lyrics added, BhelPuri. I don't recall for sure that it was in the credits, but I know it is in the opening scene of the movie.

My intent was not to have the original removed, but rather to add this remix for the reasons stated above. I claim ignorance as a reason for not offering an opinion about whether or not one of the others should be removed. Again, that was not my intent (although I knew that it was a possible outcome of starting this thread).

I'll also add this bit from the director commentary: Spike Lee was introduced to A R Rahman by one of his film students and looked for years to find a place to be able to use his music.

In my opinion he did a great job of finding the right place, even if it is a remixed version. It's obviously recognizable to anybody familiar with the original. Perhaps the additional parts are the "spoon full of sugar" that helps introduce folks to A R Rahman, as it seems to have done here.

It looks like the voting so far is heavily in favor of adding the track, but I have no way of knowing if that implies anything about keeping or removing the other versions. Again, my intent was not to remove anything, especially the original version.

jeff
sdg
BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:

My intent was not to have the original removed, but rather to add this remix for the reasons stated above.
It looks like the voting so far is heavily in favor of adding the track, but I have no way of knowing if that implies anything about keeping or removing the other versions. Again, my intent was not to remove anything, especially the original version.

Oh yes J2, I understood you were talking about just adding the remix. Smile
I was only offering my opinion if it came to the situation of deciding which one to retain if we wanted only one version. To reiterate- I'm fine with anything.
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. moderator - can you provide some links and stuff - I'm too lazy to go searching myself. Razz
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh!

jeff
sdg
USA LOTRKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13511

LOTRKing is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LOTRKing's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see it added, I love the original, and I would love to hear this version. Very Happy

-LOTRKing
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

13-0...so far...

jeff
sdg
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

He hee...

Wink
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Luther.

jeff
sdg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Added All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: