StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Thoughts on Oscar score/song nominees?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:47 pm   Post subject: Thoughts on Oscar score/song nominees? Reply with quote

79th Academy Award Nominees

Best Original Score

Babel - Gustavo Santaolalla
The Good German - Thomas Newman
Notes on a Scandal - Philip Glass
Pan’s Labyrinth - Javier Navarrete
The Queen - Alexandre Desplat

Best Original Song

I Need to Wake Up (An Inconvenient Truth) - Melissa Etheridge
Listen (Dreamgirls) - Henry Krieger, Scott Cutler & Anne Preven
Love You I Do (Dreamgirls) - Henry Krieger & Siedah Garrett
Our Town (Cars) - Randy Newman
Patience (Dreamgirls) - Henry Krieger & Willie Reale

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay, so happy that Thomas Newman got nominated this year! He has to win sometime. Also was very surprised and pleased that Pan's Labyrinth by Navarrete was on the list. It's one of my favorite scores from this year.

I really enjoyed the "I need to wake up" song, but one of the Dreamgirls songs will probably win.

What do you all think of these nominees?
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here are my quick comments:

Best Original Score
Overall I am pretty happy with the selections. Obviously there could be a debate of this score over that one etc, but on the whole a decent selection. Personally, I would have been happier with the inclusion of Da Vinci Code by Zimmer and Nativity Story by Danna instead, but that is getting a bit nit picky and you cannot expect the Academy to get everything right. In regards to those that were specifically nominated:

Babel - This better not win or I will be pissed. Granted I have not heard the entire score and my opinion is due to my bitterness of him winning last year, but come on best of the year. Rolling Eyes
Good German - I agree with zirael that it is nice to see Thomas Newman nominated. I would be happy if this score won, but it is actually not my favorite score from him this year. I enjoyed Little Children a bit better.
Notes on a Scandal - I have not heard this score. I am not a fan of the Glass style and thus doubt that I would enjoy this score BUT if this wins instead of Babel I am all for it.
Pan's Labyrinth - I must admit I was surprised that this was nominated, but I am ecstatic that it did. This is my my choice of those nominated that I want to win. I absolutely fell in love with this score and feel it is one of the best of the year. This is the score I will be rooting for to win.
Queen - I am becoming quite the fan of Desplat's work and this score is well done. Once again though I enjoy one of Desplat's other scores more than this score in Painted Veil, but I would not be disappointed if he won for this score.

So, in order of how I would rank these:
Pan's Labyrinth
Good German
Queen
Notes on a Scandal

Babel

In regards to the Best Original Song. I really have no preference as I have not really heard any of the songs. The only one I have heard is the one from Cars and that would be cool in Randy Newman won for that song.
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Babel???? Shocked
WTF? ARE THEY TOTALLY OUT OF THEIR &%$$@€Evil or Very Mad mind???

I don't see Gustavo Santaolalla as a serious composer, rather a songwriter who happens to be loved by certain filmmakers (and academy members).
I totally agree with Nate in this matter.

The only problem is, I've neither seen any of these nominated films yet nor heard enough of the soundtracks to make a judgement, but after Brokeback Mountain I doubt that Santaolalla improved his writting skills except some sad guitar themes...
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I'm glad we have our own awards. The process will begin after the Morricone Concert.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Wolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 16

Wolf is offline View user's profile Send private message Wolf's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

What!?!? they chose Babel and those other tracks (Pan's labyrinth is good) and not the Da Vinci Code? If I am not mistaken it came out in 2006 and thus would qualify for the awards...

How are these guys choosing their picks?

Can't wait to see our own contest. Wink

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously nobody on that committee has ever been to SST. Smile Our awards are going to ROCK!!!

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
Obviously nobody on that committee has ever been to SST. Smile Our awards are going to ROCK!!!

If you added Cue or Composer Of The Year or both they would rock even harder!
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely go for Pan's Labyrinth. Both for the Oscars and SST Very Happy

Can't wait for the SST awards!!
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf wrote:
How are these guys choosing their picks?

I heard a "media expert" talking about the oscar voting on the radio (KGO in San Francisco)... it basically comes down to who did the most aggressive marketing to the voters. It's not really that democratic or accurate if you ask me.

Rolling Eyes

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

genericdragon wrote:
I heard a "media expert" talking about the oscar voting on the radio (KGO in San Francisco)... it basically comes down to who did the most aggressive marketing to the voters. It's not really that democratic or accurate if you ask me.

GD I totally agree that much of it has to do with marketing. I also think that many times, especially in the score category, that the success of the movie or critical acclaim of a movie helps get the score nominated. Obviously, there are plenty of wonderful scores that were done for movies that were not well received for example, Lady in the Water.

I will say that Good German getting nominated did surprise me because the movie is getting pretty bad reviews, but I think it is great that Thomas Newman got a nomination and for a pretty strong score.
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a feature of this year's nominations that the technical categories have been relatively independent of the 'major' categories. There are only two best picture nominees in the Best Score race and it really is an open field.

I would like to see Pan's Labyrinth win.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: