StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Interview: Javier Navarrete ("Pan's Labyrinth")

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:33 pm   Post subject: Interview: Javier Navarrete ("Pan's Labyrinth") Reply with quote

FILM COMPOSER
JAVIER NAVARRETE
RECEIVES ACADEMY AWARD NOMINATION FOR
"PAN'S LABYRINTH"

Javier Navarrete

(Hollywood, CA) Film composer Javier Navarrete has received his first Oscar nomination for his score to Picturehouse's "Pan's Labyrinth" (aka "El Laberinto del Fauno"). "Pan's Labyrinth" began screening in theaters in December and today is found on over 130 critics' Top Ten lists.

SCORE ALBUM AVAILABLE ON MILAN RECORDS

Directed by Guillermo del Toro ("Hell Boy," "Mimic"), "Pan's Labyrinth" marks the director's second collaboration with Javier Navarrete. The film unfolds through the eyes of Ofelia, a dreamy little girl who is uprooted to a rural military outpost commanded by her new stepfather. Ofelia lives out her own dark fable as she confronts monsters both otherworldly and human.

Spanish composer, Javier Navarrete brings the music of Pan's Labyrinth alive. His score captures the fantastical mood of the film - a fairy tale fantasy for adults, set against the backdrop of the Spanish Civil War - with all of the tension and imagination of this rich, layered film. The score album is available on Milan Records. The 79th Annual Academy Awards will be announced February 25.

A native of Spain, Navarrete's relationship scoring with "Pan's Labyrinth" director Guillermo Del Toro began with the feature "The Devil's Backbone." Navarrete's talents span a wide range of genres, instruments, mediums and geographic locations. His performed music includes early electronic music in duet with friend and fellow Spanish composer Alberto Iglesias and collaborations with the British band, Dead Can Dance, featuring film composer Lisa Gerrard . Navarrete has a collection of arias based on the Latin poem "Ovidius Metamorphose" performed by Mezzo Claudia Schnneider. He has also collaborated with punk legend Iggy Pop in the music of Oscar Aibar's "Atolladero."

Visit the official “Pan’s Labyrinth” website at http://www.panslabyrinth.com/

Everyone here in the StreamingSoundtracks.com community is encouraged to submit interview questions for Mr. Navarrete. General or philosophical questions are fine, but ones specific to Mr. Navarrete’s career and his important or current works would be especially good. Thank you.
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you study composition at a university or college & where?

How did you get to filmscoring?

What kind of composers are your main role models/inspirations?

Which is your most favourite instrument to write for?

What do you prefer: Writing your scores by hand or doing it on PC with programs like Finale or Sibelius?
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! Can't wait to read the interview! I'll try to submit some questions asap!
Cadet 4

Member#: 13732

NotMiles is offline View user's profile Send private message NotMiles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexandre Desplat in a recent interview states that from the moment he first sees a movie, he does not think melodies, but rather thinks colors. He further adds, “Before I find a structure and the way I would write a motif…, I think about what the orchestra will play. What texture does this movie need?” Later he states, "The main goal is to be able to write music which is dedicated to the movie but still stands by itself, I don't want to be a machine that writes notes."

How is your approach to film scoring similar or different from Desplat's?
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your Oscar nomination - it is well deserved! How did you first hear that you got nominated and how did you react?

Did you have a chance to mingle and talk to the nominated composers and other nominees? What was most memorable about that?

What was your first meeting like with Guillermo Del Toro and how did you end up scoring "Devil's Backbone"?

How did you approach scoring Pan's Labyrinth? Was there a particular scene or character motif that you started with that inspired the rest?

Did the lullaby sung by Mercedes already have a prominent role in the screenplay or was this a case where its importance grew during the film shoot and scenes were constructed around it?

If you knew that you had to create a lullaby as an important element of the film, what pressure did you feel and how did you know you found the right melody?

What gave you the idea to contrast and interweave the beautiful lullaby with the darker, dissonant moments as the film violence increased?

Was there a scene in the film that you struggled with scoring more than others? Which parts of the score are you most happy with?
Belgium Irulan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13572

Irulan is offline View user's profile Send private message View Irulan's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pan´s Labyrinth soundtrack is different from your former colaboration with Guillermo del Toro, "Devil´s Backbone", Did he ask for a "more melodic score"? Did he give you some reference?

Did you expect the international success of the film and the score?

What in your opinion is your strongest competitor for the oscar?

Pan´s Labyrinth has become your most succefull work up to now, but what is your favorite?

What are your next works?
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You started your musical career in electronic music. When did you start composing soundtracks and how? Do you plan to compose for different media again someday?

Was Guillermo Del Toro deeply involved in the creation of the music? How were your relations with him?

How long did it take you to compose Pan's lullaby? Was it difficult to come up with such a simple yet beautiful theme?
Lieutenant

Member#: 13971

wrabbit is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View wrabbit's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

do you encounter "writer's block" and if so, how do you work around it?

i read that you wrote the lullaby before shooting of the film started - if so, did you find it a more difficult task to compose before you had concrete images to work with (beyond the screenplay)?

has the international success of the score for pan's created any new opportunities for you?

do you have a favorite genre of film that you like to compose for, or would like to compose for in the future?
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not too late to ask questions then here's a couple-

Was there any single influence that you can point to from your younger days that made you think of music as a career (and also specifically scoring for films)?

What do you think decides the form/concept of a score (orchestral or electronic or a mix of them)?

Are there any plans for releasing some of your previous scores? Can you tell us about you upcoming projects?

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

***LOCKED***

Wonderful! Thank you bpewien, Alchemist, NotMiles, Zireal, Irulan, Wrabbit, and BhelPuri for participating in this interview.
Your questions are excellent, and it will be fascinating to read Mr. Navarrete's responses to them.
Thanks, too, to Natedogg for his assistance in researching background information and promoting this thread.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: