StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

New Royalty Rates for Webcasts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news. Thanks for the link peaches! I feel like there is hope now.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to see people stand up make them see how wrong of a ruling it is. Thx peaches Smile
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

peaches wrote:
A new link in the ongoing saga:
http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6179627.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Peaches, thanks so much for finding this article and sharing it! It's the most straightforward report I've read on the subject so far.

Now if I were a cynic, I might think the CRB did this with an ulterior motive in mind. Sort of like the oil companies saying gasoline will likely go to $5 a gallon - then when it's only $3, we're relieved and grateful. Razz Rolling Eyes
USA Cinder VIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:29 am   Post subject: Proposed law may save net radio- From the UK Reply with quote

peaches wrote:
A new link in the ongoing saga:

http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6179627.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Let's hope it works.

Not a lot new in this one, but it is from the U.K. about 15 minutes ago! (whatever time that was...Monday morning .

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/04/30/proposed_law_may_save_net_radio/
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:44 am   Post subject: I wrote a letter Reply with quote

One of the two Congressmen who are trying to stop the rate hikes is from my state. Do believe I voted for him as well! I just wanted him to know more about us. So I sent this letter. I have heard back from one of our main senators already, Patty Murray. Here is what I sent.
~~~~~~
As a fan of Internet radio, I was alarmed to learn that the Copyright Royalty Board has decided to raise music royalty rates by 300 to 1200 percent. For most Webcasters the new royalties exceed their revenue and they simply will go bankrupt and stop Webcasting.

The silencing of Internet radio would be a great blow to listeners like me who enjoy the wide variety of choices only available via Internet radio. This will kill the great diversity of music that I hear over the Internet and all the independent artists who have a difficult time breaking through on other forms of radio.

This you know! What I wanted to share with you is how proud I am that you are one of the two who stepped up to the plate to say NO this is not a good idea.
I am a very active listener to one internet station and I wanted to share with you so you can add it to your facts.

When I am at home, working on my computer, my internet radio station is going all the time, and when I worked in the classroom as a teacher, it was on for the students' learning enrichment. I am fifty-six years old and thought I knew a bit about music. That is, until I found StreamingSoundTracks.Com.

I have learned a great deal about music and composers, and have met so many interesting and talented people in the performing and fine arts fields. I have also met the owner of the station who maintains the station and plays the music. Here's how it works: There are approximately 17,600 members from at least twenty countries. The members donate money to help defray the costs of running the station and buy new equipment. The members also donate music CDs to the owner. Additionally, there are fourteen of our members from around the world who donate their time (sometimes several hours each day) to help moderate the station. These volunteer members have created a way for people to use and enjoy their computers to their fullest extent. Obviously the music is why we tuned in in the first place, but there's more. There is a camaraderie between the members of this station. We are there for each other -- to share in the happy times and to give support in times of sorrow. If you would like to know more about the stations, please ask me.

This last February I flew to New York City to meet a group of listeners from our station. I met folks from Canada, the United States and parts of Europe. We all flew in to attend a concert by the world famous composer Ennio Morricone. Maybe you recall him receiving an Oscar this winter. We attended this event at our own expense because we love the music and it was an opportunity to meet our Internet friends. We are making plans to attend a summer concert of John Williams in Los Angels, and events for the members in Europe are also in the making.

This station, and hundreds of others like it, provides education, contact and culture with people from around the world, and the pure pleasure of listening to the music we love. Our station enjoys a zero-tolerance policy for foul or suggestive language -- we are totally G-rated. It is a family station.

Again, I wish to thank you and your esteemed congressman for going to bat for all the Internet listeners of the world. Also, please feel free to call upon me if I can be of any more assistance.

Thank you for your attention.
Lieutenant

Member#: 10809

don0don is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website don0don's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got a call about an hour ago from a staffer in my Congresswoman's office to let me know about the bill. Naturally, I told him to please tell her to sign on as a co-sponsor of the bill and to lobby her fellow House members in favor of its passage.

Everyone needs to contact his/her House reps to urge support for this bill, and his/her Senator to urge introduction of a parallel bill in the Senate. Please reference the House bill by its number: H.R. 2060. Here's a link to it on the Congressional web site: http://tinyurl.com/2u3c2r

Cinder: That's a great letter!

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

don0don wrote:
I actually got a call about an hour ago from a staffer in my Congresswoman's office to let me know about the bill. Naturally, I told him to please tell her to sign on as a co-sponsor of the bill and to lobby her fellow House members in favor of its passage.

Everyone needs to contact his/her House reps to urge support for this bill, and his/her Senator to urge introduction of a parallel bill in the Senate. Please reference the House bill by its number: H.R. 2060. Here's a link to it on the Congressional web site: http://tinyurl.com/2u3c2r

Cinder: That's a great letter!

Hey Don, the link says

"Please resubmit your search

Search results are only retained for a limited amount of time.Your search results have either been deleted, or the file has been updated with new information."

Is there another link you can post?

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use this link:

http://thomas.loc.gov/home/c110query.html

and then copy/paste this: H.R. 2060

Then when you run the query the first bill it lists is the 'Internet Radio Equality Act' which is the correct bill. Click on that and it will give you the details about the bill.
don0don
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

don0don is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website don0don's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate: Thanks for the hand, lad! I didn't realize that my link pointed to search results that would expire.

I hope everyone has already called or e-mailed their House reps and Seantor!

The staffer I spoke to Congresswoman Shea-Porter's office was pretty amazed at the number of calls the offices -- both here in New Hampshire and in Washington -- have been getting about this issue. We need to amaze every single Rep and Senator!!
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 299

Saffron is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Saffron's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update today, looks like we get some more time to try and change the CRB ruling. Here is the info...see save net radio for more info.

Quote:

CRB Postpones Deadline As Web Radio Marches In D.C.
posted at FMQB
May 2, 2007

The Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) has officially posted its ruling on Internet royalty rates in the Federal Register. However, the organization has pushed back the due date for royalty payments to kick in, from May 15 to July 15. The publication of this information also allows the 30 day period for appeals to officially begin. NPR is slated to file an appeal in this time frame.

The SaveNetRadio organization calls the decision "welcome news for webcasters...artists...and listeners," and notes that it will "spend the next 45 days educating Members of Congress and their staffs about the incredible diversity of programming Internet radio offers us all. We will set the ticking clock back 45 days and continue the fight to free Internet radio from these devastating fee increases."

Yesterday (May 1), SaveNetRadio led a march on Washington, D.C., as webcasters, musicians and label representatives met with members of Congress to discuss the Internet Radio Equality Act. Further actions in the nation's capital are set for today.

I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music. - George Elliot
don0don
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

H.R. 2060 now has 42 co-sponsors, including my Congresswoman, Rep. Carol Shea-Porter of New Hampshire. Way to go, Congresswoman!

Those of you who have not yet called your House Rep's office -- and your Senator's office -- please do so today! Even though we still have until July 15th, the clock is still ticking! We have to _STOP_ the royalty hikes!

Thanks!
Ensign

Member#: 15284

Lennie2020 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Lennie2020's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:54 am   Post subject: reply from Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown Reply with quote

Quote:
Dear Ms. Crawford:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the possible rise in copyright rates for internet webcasting. The recent decision of the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) to set rates for Internet radio is one component of the larger issue of how music is paid for in the Digital Age.

The CRB’s decision changed the royalty scheme for small commercial Internet radio providers from a percentage of revenue to a per-song fee. In addition, the CRB determined that Internet radio providers must pay an annual minimum fee of $500 per channel. Noncommercial webcasters would be subject to a new rate structure that includes per-performance rates for webcasters that provide above a specified amount of digital music available per month.

Webcasters are understandably concerned that the decision would increase their royalty payments, and they requested a rehearing by the CRB of its rate decision. The motion to rehear the decision was denied. However, parties also have the option of appealing the decision to the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, within 30 days of publication of the new rates.
I will continue to closely follow the ongoing proceedings and will consider it in the larger context of music availability in the Digital Age. Should legislation be introduced that would alter the CRB's decision, I will certainly keep your concerns in mind.

Sincerely,
Sherrod Brown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spam
Not spam
Forget previous vote
Quote:
USA maddy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2207

maddy is offline View user's profile Send private message View maddy's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received an email from my representative Al Green of Texas. This is what he wrote...

Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Copyright Royalty Board's (CRB) recent decision to raise royalty rates for use of licensed music for webcasts and simulcasts. I appreciate hearing your views on this important matter.

As you know, owners of sound recordings must license their music for webcasts and simulcasts that are not interactive. When royalty rates were last set in 2002, ad-based commercial broadcasters were given the option of paying rates per stream or per aggregate tuning hour, while noncommercial broadcasters would pay a flat fee of up to $2,500 per year.

The recent CRB decision increased rates per stream from $0.0007 to $0.0008, with a minimum of $500 per year; these royalty rates will increase annually through 2010. According to the Radio and Internet Newsletter, the average Internet station will now pay approximately 1.28 cents per listener hour, while only receiving revenue of 1 to 1.2 cents per listener hour. If royalties alone exceed a broadcaster's revenues, it will be virtually impossible for the broadcaster to create a successful business strategy. As a result, the increase in royalty rates could substantially curtail the presence of Internet radio.

While it is important to ensure that musicians and owners of recordings be compensated fairly for their work, it is also critical that this compensation not force small- and medium-sized broadcasters out of the market. Please know that I will work to ensure that the CRB's royalty rates are fair to all parties involved and, if not, I will work to create a more equitable system.

Again, thank you for writing me regarding this important issue. Please feel free to contact me again in the future if I can be of any assistance.
Just wanted to let y'all know...

*edit by alchemist: removed duplicate post*

http://tinyurl.com/ltrodr
http://www.mostphotos.com/maddys713/portfolio
http://www.cutcaster.com/studio/pub/784218913

don0don
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddy: That's excellent! Rep. Green signed on as a co-sponsor of H.R. 2060 yesterday. The bill now has 51 co-sponsors (as of 9:20 am this morning).

Let's keep the momentum rolling! Write/call/e-mail your friends! Urge them to call their reps and senators! We need more co-sponsors for H.R. 2060 and we need a companion bill in the senate. Call or e-mail your senator and demand that he/she introduce the companion bill!!
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4415

AK-Mal_Owner is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AK-Mal_Owner's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

63 sponsors as of noon on Fri May 11... Way cool.

My rep has already signed on. Keep it rolling!

-akm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: