StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Washington Post Article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA BuyerQueen
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 89

BuyerQueen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View BuyerQueen's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:42 am   Post subject: Washington Post Article Reply with quote

JERIC was contacted by The Washington Post last week and they did an article about the new royalty rates for webcasting. Check it out!

BQ
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:10 am   Post subject: Re: Washington Post Article Reply with quote

BuyerQueen wrote:
an article

It is sad to know that corporations and music industry prefer to see small internet radio stations being shut down and paying nothing, than to see them alive and paying (even not so big) money.

I like your comment under an article BQ!

I hate ads in the stream and I don't like Mr. Simson's point of view that for me is something like: every radio station must work exactly the way WE want (e.g.: playing a lot of ads in the stream) because this way it will be able to pay highest possible royalties for us.

It looks like recording industry is not interested just in ensuring that everyone is paying reasonable royalties (which would be understandable) but it is interested in very strong influencing the way all radiostations are run only to get more and more money and ensure that all radio stations are working the way that industry wants.

I think it is a step too far and I hope for some reasonable compromise ahead.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA lastdomino VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 10600

lastdomino is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View lastdomino's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

the frustration i have is that the people who decide what i listen to want me to listen to their choice of music - - they are not willing to hear that people who have chosen to listen to internet radio are not looking for the mainstream of AM/FM radio - - movie soundtracks, new age, and album music in general - there is no money in that to those who have power

actually as far as the recording industry it sounds like they like the promotional use of internet radio - the problem is that there are entities such as lawyers that have been getting a piece of the 'music' pie and are fearing their days are coming to an end - they are putting up a fight from every angle they can think of - i hope they don't win

i hope that webcasting wins - perhaps one day to become the choice option - remember there was a time when FM was not the mainstream either

Member#: 299

Saffron is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Saffron's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BQ for posting this. I read it and had to respond too. It gets my blood boiling.
I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music. - George Elliot
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

For a minute there I thought JERIC was going to be interviewed by Woodward & Bernstein. All The Copywriter's Men. It's a conspiracy!!!

Who put these clowns in charge...

"...Simson rejects the popular notion that the only thing small webcasters owe artists is the exposure they get from having their work streamed over the Internet". GARBAGE!!! Who said it is only exposure they receive. I've purchased over 30 CD's this year. ALL of them as a direct result of listening to music here and recommendations from other members. That's a lot of money I could have spent elsewhere. It's been one of my biggest purchasing years ever and I expect 2007 to be even bigger.

"the only choices he sees under the new rate structure are to base his station overseas or shut it down" ...gee JERIC, I hope they aren't the only choices. They are pretty grim.

I agree with one of the commenters that this is all about the music industry catching up with the new digital markets created by independent enterpreneurs by trying to crush them so they can take their place and earn megabucks.
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the article BQ!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: