StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Which is your favourite musical instrument?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Czech Republic Raygi
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 12138

Raygi is offline View user's profile Send private message View Raygi's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:20 pm   Post subject: Which is your favourite musical instrument? Reply with quote

Can you play some? Or which one would you like to play? Bonus question: Can be music used for torture? Twisted Evil
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... I used to play guitar and flute. Haven't done either for the last 15 years, though.
As a kid I wanted to learn how to play the piano, but we didn't have one, so... no joy.
Nowadays I'd rather like to learn how to play drums. Any kind at all, as long as it's noisy. Twisted Evil
...and... having to listen to aspiring violinists... THAT'S torture!!! Very Happy
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a studying musician (composer).
I play piano, organ... and really just some little clarinet (I'm obliged to learn an orchestral instrument at university)
Also I'm singing (Bass-Baritone) in several vocal ensembles. Just depends how much they pay... Wink

We had a similar thread in the community forum. (Sorry Alchemist!)Razz

This is what I wrote back then as a total noob @ SST in this particular thread:
bpewien wrote:
It's rather astounding how many people play the clarinet. (I also now had to start that instrument obliged by the music university to learn an orchestral instrument, and I'm proud to say I'm not so bad for a beginner, my teacher plays in the Vienna States Opera Orchestra = Vienna Philharmonics).
So many woodwinds, brass and pianos. But little strings, how come??

Actually my whole life is music!
I am now studying composing at the university for music and arts in Vienna/Austria, but started to compose at the age of 15. Since then I always knew I wanted to become a composer/conductor.
I went 9 years to the music high school in Vienna and after graduation I spend my 8-month military service at the military music departement mostly as pianist and arranger.

I started the piano when I was a little kid, but really started to practice at 14/15. I was quite good though back then.
I also have the so-called "musical ear" like Arya, so I know what it is like to hear every false pitch.
And since I've also been singing in several choirs since my childhood, I can tell you, this can hurt sometimes... Smile

I started to play organ at the age of 16, I spend 3 years on the conservatory learning organ, but now I sadly rarely practice now since I'm at the university. (I still get lessons though and who knows what will turn out at the end)

I also intend to study conducting (and also doing filmscores someday???) after I got my first diploma in composing (due 2007).

When that is done I plan to add musical science to this long list.
But I'm 21 now, so there should be some time left. Laughing

I sing in several vocal ensembles (my voice is bass-baritone), like to play chamber music (I'm actually trying to revitalise a tango-ensemble I had in high school... Piazolla & Co), and I am really surprised by how many musicians are in this forum.
In fact it really makes me happy!

Jerry Goldsmith was one of my greatest role models, I wrote a big a-cappella choir piece in memoriam for him. It hasn't been performed yet because it requires a big choir and the difficulty level is quite high (duration about 11 minutes).
Hopefully I can manage to get a contribution of it soon and will be able to send a copy of the score and dedication to his family. If someone for instance has a contact that could help my I'd be grateful.

Okay, I'm stopping to show off already, don't worry. Confused...

And YES, some music CAN be used for torture sometimes.
e.g. Britney Spears, Tangerine Dream, bad soprano singers, badly tuned pianos, bad synthies...
PS: And Organ rules!!

Last edited by bpewien on Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The piano would be my favorite instrument.. probably because I've been playing it for 24 years now. Not as often as I would like, but the passion is still there. I have played various instruments throughout my years in school: clarinet, trumpet, percussion, flute. Nothing beats my love of the piano.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:19 am   Post subject: Re: Which is your favourite musical instrument? Reply with quote

bpewien wrote:
We had a similar thread in the community forum. (Sorry Alchemist!)Razz

You were faster than me, bpe! Smile However, there is a difference. I'd not dare answering in the other thread, as I can't play a single note on any instrument. Wink

Piano is definitely my favorite instrument. I can't really say why... it can carry every emotion and be played in a thousand of different ways, but the same can be said for many instruments!

Raygi wrote:
Bonus question: Can be music used for torture? Twisted Evil

Yes. Do you want to hear me sing? Very Happy
Caliburn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy: http://www.caliburn.nl/blog/?p=24

Cool
Czech Republic Raygi
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 12138

Raygi is offline View user's profile Send private message View Raygi's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I should answer too. I played clarinet for 8 years, started because of my athma. Now I'm totally without problems, so maybe it worked. We had kvintet and I went even to kid orchestra. Quite fun.

Now I practise on our old piano my fav tracks from Hisaishi and Uematsu.

BTW. Sorry Alch for a bit similar thread, but the search module did not find anything with "instrument". Maybe a bug?
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 333

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Euphonium for teh win!
USA LOTRKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13511

LOTRKing is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LOTRKing's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I play piano, and my favorite instruments to hear/listen to are: the flute, the piano, the violin, and my favorite instrument is... the Electric Guitar Cool Call me crazy, but I think electric guitars are the most beautiful of instruments. (Which may explain why TSO is my all time favorite band! Wink ) Though it depends on how the guitar is used, e.g. I don't care for Metal Rock.

-LOTRKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11288

PomPom is offline View user's profile Send private message PomPom's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffy songs are my favourite torture instrument ...
Lieutenant

Member#: 12946

RobW720 is offline View user's profile Send private message View RobW720's Favorites
AIM Address
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I play saxaphone (all of em at one point or another but i play the tenor sax the most) and i have been playing sax for 15 or 14ish years. i enjoy mostly jazz an big band stuff. but i play whatever. bari sax is my second favorite, soprano is fun too and alto is my least fav, but i still enjoy it.

I used to play piano when i was but a lad, wish i kept with it

I play guitar, not well, but i do play it.

i play a mean recorder and slide whistle.

my mom teaches piano and my uncle teaches woodwinds. we have a very musical family.

and i sing wicked good Very Happy

My views do not reflect that of my employers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: