StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

US writers on strike... What's the SST community attitude?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Germany ElJay
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 19172

ElJay is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ElJay's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:28 am   Post subject: US writers on strike... What's the SST community attitude? Reply with quote

Hi, SST Folks !

... strange world these days, isn't ?? - The US writer Ira Levin died on MOnday in Manhatten. Rosmary's Baby, Polanski was the film maker for, is out of Levin's hand. Wonderful story, wasn't it ?? - From Valencia we get the news out of the World Ecology Congress that the damages of our environment are irreversible. And the US congress just analized that the total costs for Iraq war have to be calculated at 1.6 billion US$$ (instead the 0.8 Bush junior demanded).

And we get plenty of news daily about the strike in US from writers for film, TV and entertainmeint industries. Meanwhile the Broadway is lamed.

In Germany live only 1,000 writers for TV and cinema storybooks doing their daily job. They cannot live from, it's a bad paid one. Sometimes they are waiting for years for their money until the film projects are safe financed for realisation. Not O.K. ! - Yet here we aren't in the situation to have a writer's league. Some strikes won't come during the next years, I suppose. A couple of days ago there was the German story book Award, given to the successful writer Mr. Friedemann Fromm with a prize money of 30,000.- EUR as a budget for a new storybook. Not a lot of money for all the work over years. I can understand that the American colleagues go onto the street...

So, what would we do - as the fellowers of film scores - without such phantastic authors. No doubt, a good story book completes an excellent film music composition, and other way round.

What's the attitude and should the attitude be of the SST Community, now in these days of strike ? - Keep us neutral?? - As I know short time I am here SST doesn't do political work. So, neutrality might be the right decision ??

What motivated me to write this short posting (sorry guys and girls I am music journalist, my length of typing has a different measurement Embarassed ) was the Radio news, I just got: meanwhile via Internet, the US writers get a lot of support and expression of sympathy...

or links...
http://bp2.blogger.com/_WSG7WieIAvE/Rzxr8v-yKnI/AAAAAAAABjw/IvUyA7H9SG4/s1600-h/united_hollywood.gif
http://gallery.nofactzone.net/albums/userpics/Operation.png

Should the SST Community take part that way to take action and express it's opinion - or even solidarity loudly ?? - On the site of Televisionary, as one example, you can find such postings...

http://televisionary.blogspot.com/

Make your own picture on this theme. Don't hesitate to share your thoughts here with SST or express your opinion on the relevant Blogs, MySpace Site etc. ... with public & media attention. - Beside all this, enjoy listening to good music ! - ElJay / Greetings from Europe/Germany/Hamburg

Last edited by ElJay on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:44 am; edited 4 times in total
Pendrillion
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 13122

Pendrillion is offline View user's profile Send private message Pendrillion's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel strongly for the Writers. Those people are working their backs for a Multibillion Industry and they only get the crumbs from that business...

I would definitly stand in line with them... I know how much effort it is to create concepts that stand a second look... And to be honest I find it really a shame that writers get less recognition than actors. Or original Inventors of Serials and Movies. I mean the writer staff usually takes care that we, the audience eagerly await the next episode of Series like Battlestar Galactica or Lost, or Heroes or Star Trek...
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I support the writers as well. Just as a good (vocal) song is nothing without it's lyrics, a movie or television show is nothing without it's writers. The foundation of any movie is it's story. Without the writers, even the most cgi heavy film would be nothing more than a hardware demo.
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

weaponlordzero wrote:
Without the writers, even the most cgi heavy film would be nothing more than a hardware demo.

Some of them still are.

I'm not sure what to make of this. I mean, I support the writers, fine. I don't know what I'm supposed to do about that. I wouldn't join a picket line even if there were one nearby, because I don't think that would be helpful. I also know that I am uninformed about a lot of this, and see no reason to parade my ignorance.

While I understand strikes as a method of collective bargaining, they are also a hell of an inconvenience to people who aren't the problem, and I think they run the risk of creating negative public opinion. I was hoping to see a show in New York next weekend, but most of Broadway is dark because the stagehands are on strike. So I'm disappointed, but what can I do? Am I supposed to go march with them? Doubtful. Am I supposed to write angry letters? What difference does it make if I support the strikers or not?

While I am grateful that a teachers' strike this last may cut down my time as a substitute, strikes tend to irritate me. That may be selfish, or unfair, but as an observer, I tend to think less positively of both sides in the debate.
Germany ElJay
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

ElJay is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ElJay's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
While I understand strikes as a method of collective bargaining, they are also a hell of an inconvenience to people who aren't the problem, and I think they run the risk of creating negative public opinion.

Hi, SST Folks !

1st thank's to all all here sharing your ideas, thoughts, meanings, opinions, critics, ideas...

As LadyInque mentioned it can be risky. - What's about the sense or nonsense of strikes ?

Strikes might set a negative image. Right. If strikes are used too early instead of seriously leaded negotiations between the relevant parties. - This means good proofed concepts...

Why should get the writers more money paid ? - What's the reason behind ? - Where are the arguments ?

If this kind of creative job is misused by the bilion dollar heavy film industries, and if the heavy weight guys with the big money pockets don't follow a serious moral and ethic of fair businesses, then STRIKE MIGHT BE THE LAST SOLUTION TO RRESIST.

Here in Germany we have the biggest strike of our younger German History running these days. The engine drivers of railway (which is in Germany owned by Government), more than 6,000 now resist. They are underpaid since years with very, very bad conditions and a high responsability (comparable with pilots of airplanes).

And the top management of the German Railway keeps strict, arrogant, doesn't move forward for compromizes. Even court legitimated the strikes, instead the management keeps childish.

Now we have some days behind us, some harsh strike days. Million of people cannot use trains and the goods cannot be transported within our country or cross the borders through Europe, a chaos for logistics. Similar in France. Round Paris round 300 kilometers of cars stop & go.
The ruin in Germany for the railway company alone is 160 million EUR already now, it's excactelly the amount, it would have cost the railway to pay a plus 31% to the engine drivers over a period of 12 months. Wasting money just for keeping "no saying" ! - But still the management doesn't move forward to offer a serious "plus" and renewing the contracts...

STRIKE sometimes have to be, as the last chance to come free of modern slavery - in times of "neo capitalism" ! - Strikes have to set pain, mostly economical damage to the supressors, otherwise without these effects strikes would be useless, just a cheap joke.

Hope the writers can set enough pressure onto the deciders sitting on the other side of the tables for negotiations ... and soon can find back to the working chairs under new conditions to deliver the audience some new wonderful stories !

Enjoy listening to good music ! - Eljay from Europe/Germany/Hamburg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Let them rot on their picket lines.

Unions are a good thing for workers that are truly being taken advantage of. Miners geting poverty pay, dangerous work conditions, and the like.

Writers are not being taken advantage of. Writing is not a dangerous job. They are not being payed poor wages. they are writers not textile worker, or fruit pickers.

Unions, and I have been forced to join two of them in my life, are not a good thing.

I think writers should be paid salarys that reflect the quality of their work, not some negotiated rate that assures the writers of Cavemen get the same pay as the writers of Heroes.

An individual writer should have the freedom to ask what he or she is worth as an individual. The great writers get good pay, we get better tv and movies. the poor writers responsible for the worst get to find another job.

The writers do not need a dang union.

Last edited by Istagi on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:30 pm; edited 6 times in total
USA Jim_A
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13205

Jim_A is offline View user's profile Send private message Jim_A's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm a writer, and although I myself am not a Guild Signatory, I would like to thank those of you who support our profession (or in my case a burgeoning one) with all your hearts.

Thanks guys,

Jim Allder
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this may seem like flip-flopping, but I think Istagi is being a bit harsh. Do you actually know how much writers get paid? Considering how much the industry depends on them, it really isn't that much. It may be commiserate with quality, but I don't know. And we might argue that the work isn't dangerous, but it's hardly cushy. There are so many writers out there, I'm sure it's hard to get the jobs in the first place.

They are lobbying to get paid when their work is used over and over again. Should they? This is, potentially, a history-changing question. It deserves some consideration and some ink. I just wish the future of Battlestar Galactica weren't on hold while it happens.

Here's a link to a video, not at all unbiased, which lays out some of the issues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzRHlpEmr0w

Now will somebody work something out with those stagehands on Broadway? (That can be a dangerous job.) I wanna see Rufus Sewell!
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignoring all the fair use, fair pay, etc. arguments, here's my take:

Michael Ramirez

Bob Gorrell
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the cartoons... especially the first one! LaughingLaughingLaughing
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 3797

soundtrackradio is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website soundtrackradio's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

TV & Film Companies should not rip off writers in not paying them their dues. Sometimes strike action is the only way to go to get change. Wink
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:02 am   Post subject: Tonight: Tim Minear, TV Writer/Producer, Talks WGA Strike Reply with quote

Hi, SST Folks !

... if I read cross your postings, phantastic. Some are very different in their aspects and validation. If it would be possible to bring the reasions behind under one hat and balance it out, then the writer's gilde might have a great future under fair conditions. I am shure...

But yet, the theme hasn't a (positive) end. Still the strikes are running. Just got...

!! Tip for a Web Radio broadcasting show "live tonight" !!

Proof it on your own if it is usable for you. - Even if you should miss the radio show "live" by lack of time, you can re-listen as PODCAST (Mp3 Download)...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The live, interactive format of BlogTalkRadio ( http://blog.blogtalkradio.com ) allows for discussion of current events like few other audio platforms.

Tim Minear, TV Writer/Producer, Talks WGA Strike
------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight, the Geeks talk STRIKE with Tim Minear. The Geeks welcome television writer/producer and director Tim Minear to Geekerati tonight at

10pm (US) on BlogTalkRadio

to talk about the Writers Guild of America ...

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/blogtalkradio/~3/185803183/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Enjoy listening to good music ! - ElJay form Europe/Germany/Hamburg.

Last edited by ElJay on Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Germany ElJay
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:11 am   Post subject: Writing is a hard job on it's own... Reply with quote

Jim_A wrote:
Well I'm a writer, and although I myself am not a Guild Signatory, I would like to thank those of you who support our profession (or in my case a burgeoning one) with all your hearts.

Thanks guys,

Jim Allder

Hi, Jim !

... nice to know one in the SST Community who delivers us fascinating storys by his ideas, creativity and hard work of writing dealing with language expressions and fighting fights with every single word. (Rec.: I really know what I am talking about, in 2003 I wrote my first short story (an attempt, I would say Sad ). It took me 3 months of my life, hard work, Blood, Sweat & Tears Crying or Very sad ) Not easy, your job.

Hope and wish you the strikes can enforce your conditions of businesses to some better one. - And that you might have always the spirit and (menthal & physical) engergy for new, qualitatively good story tellings.

ElJay
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny story - the SST server is having a problem with the word UNI0N, so I've had to edit the following post a few times. If you start to see Dick Cheney's head pop up in banner ads on SST, then be very afraid.

Reality television is usually not written by uni0n members. If you see "Who's Your Daddy," or "Divorcing With the Stars," don't yell at those guys.

Wait a sec... Divorcing... *writes that one down and prepares to pitch to FOX...*

This is also a good time for American culture to relax its yoke on the rest of the world. Members of writers' uni0ns from other countries shouldn't have to feel guilty about getting a show green-lit at this time - there's a ebb and flow to such things. Of course, support your brethren so you can strengthen your position come bargaining time.

Istagi, I wish you luck in your tenure as the new President of CBS Paramount. You are right - textile workers and fruit pickers should get residuals for their product. Now if we can find a way to charge people for every time they wear their blouses, or to make apples re-consumable, we'd be on the way. Think about it - Recycled MANGOES. Now I'm hungry.

At least there are signs of solidarity within the writing community. Film production crew uni0ns are another story - the ones in the U.S. are grossly overpaid compared to their Canadian counterparts, and they have been known to insult them for being willing to work for half of their $30 an hour starting wage. And then they put out anti-piracy ads to whine about how it's "stealing THEIR money." I'd laugh at those commercials while I was working in the movie theatre for, oh, just above minimum wage at the time. Is there a Comedians' Uni0n yet, because they should pay dues for that.

I too have been a member of a do-nothing-yet-still-corrupt uni0n. I can't wait for the day that the free market and human empathy collude to make uni0ns obsolete.

And now for a shameless plug. Here's a site where we compile all sorts of news on the strike:

http://www.nofactzone.net/

When you write for a site that focuses on a show that's gone dark from day one, you can get pretty antsy.

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
Germany ElJay
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:44 am   Post subject: The strike is over (by now)... How does it goe on ?? Reply with quote

Hi, SST Folks !

... last night, I got the news that the strikes on NewYork Broadway have been layed by. Seems anybody likes to take the chances for big Christmas businesses not distirubing N.Y. tourists and booking agencies.

We will see how it goes on. Still the details by negotiatins between US Writers League / Uni0n and the money givers have to be done...

Meanwhile the German Writers Association did organise a demonstration in Berlin Centre (front the Brandenburger Gate) on 28th Nov to express it's sympathy with the US colleagues. As said, here the situation isn't very different for story book authors... It's time to stand up !

So keep watching how all this is going on what started on 5th November in US... - ElJay

// P.S.: Till here already thanks for all the differents postings, aspects and empathy for the writer professionals. //
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: