StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

suggestion: a larger character limit...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA unpoedic
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 3962

unpoedic is offline View user's profile Send private message View unpoedic's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:29 am   Post subject: suggestion: a larger character limit... Reply with quote

for queue messages. the more characters allowed the longer the queue page, true enough; but on the upside, the more characters allowed the more freedom with which to entertain and be entertained by sst greetings and witticisms, movie quotes, &c. i'm for that!
Netherlands stefan_nl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 11136

stefan_nl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View stefan_nl's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:41 am   Post subject: message length is long enough Reply with quote

In my opinion 80 characters is just enough.
Not too short so you have to use all sorts of abbreviations, and not too long so you can write your whole biography.
And the limit forces you to produce a smart message.

So if there was a vote, I voted no.
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Stefan. 80 looks enough for me.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA unpoedic
Ensign
Ensign

unpoedic is offline View user's profile Send private message View unpoedic's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess i would place more emphasis on the "[corresponding] movie quotes" part of the proposal than suggesting more characters with which to say what wits can say with a few. but being able to squeeze in that perfect quote next to a request certainly isn't a necessity; nor, given the current character limit, is that practice apparently encouraged for the space provided. thanks for the logical feedback and please excuse my spontaneous wouldn't-it-be-niceties. play on!
Netherlands stefan_nl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 11136

stefan_nl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View stefan_nl's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

unpoedic wrote:
thanks for the logical feedback and please excuse my spontaneous wouldn't-it-be-niceties. play on!

Don't feel discouraged to post more wouldn't-it-be-niceties.
Some of these can be really good ideas.
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the possibilty of longer queue messages would be nice. Sure, I (usually) manage to say "Hello" or some variant with less than 80 characters, but I've also found that fitting the "perfect" movie quote in can be hard.
Maybe 200 characters or thereabouts would be good? I don't think that most people would use all that space all the time...
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have more than 80 as well - but not too much more because I don't want to see long URLs in the queue. Perhaps 100?
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

USA unpoedic
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking (probably unrealistically) upwheres of 150-200 characters, w/bbcode (and html, naturally) disabled, and perhaps any reference to http://, etc., automatically removed from the message prior to posting or its presence in a message automatically disallowing posting. of course neither of these "spam prevention" methods would prevent abusers from simply posting a url w/out the "http," in which case limited bbcode might not be a bad idea; at least then the url would be tucked away w/in code.

<-- nitpicky?
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:

I'm guessing that the single quote ' is the .5?

Laughing

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:

ROTFL!
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

unpoedic wrote:
thanks for the logical feedback and please excuse my spontaneous wouldn't-it-be-niceties. play on!

This is just great unpoedic! Keep on posting ideas! Smile

Now, for this character limit, I'd vote keep it at 80 to avoid having too much literature to read in the queue Smile
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of many times I was upset by the 80 char limit. I really don't care to see url's. But... It's cool to put in movie quotes... Would we lose page space with bigger word slots? Maybe VIP's get more characters? Just ideas...
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13973

phireangel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View phireangel's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:17 pm   Post subject: Re: message length is long enough Reply with quote

stefan_nl wrote:
and not too long so you can write your whole biography.

Oh wouldnt that be lovely! to hear all SSTers Biographys?? Razz

Phireangel: ^i^ long time ago.. there was this tiny little phlame... ...
... And now she is such a big phire, she can almost write her own requestmessages.. Razz

Oh, what so I think? well,, I hope phor a little more than 83,5.. maybe 94 plus a couple of laughing smileys of course and tounges oh and while Im at it, I would need an angelsmiley throwing water, cos its too hard to type it out loud every time I need to cool someone (tjoe) down Razz
Love ya all! Smile
*phirehugs*
Commander

Member#: 6471

Tjoe is offline View user's profile Send private message Tjoe's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in favor of more characters too. I like 120. (okay, for J2 it would be 120.5 Razz)

But, i would also want to see a mechanism in place that breaks really long words and URLs so that someone putting in

KAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
or
http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4370

doesn't squish the album/track column into a tiny box with broken words.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: