StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

IRC Style Chat System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Morg VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 57

Morg is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Morg's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 10:42 am   Post subject: IRC Style Chat System Reply with quote

Recently, there have been numerous requests to "spice" up the chat window. My question is, what kind of chat would you like to have?
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 53

Hart is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Hart's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 10:58 am   Post subject: IRC Style Chat System Reply with quote

I don't know enough to make a valid decision... So, I can't vote on it since it would be ridiculous to have an opinion and be totally ignorant.
Admiral (Administrator)

Morg is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Morg's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 11:07 am   Post subject: IRC Style Chat System Reply with quote

I should have clarified a little more.

With the current chat system, there are a lot of things that I can see as being problematic. A few examples are:

* User Identity Theft
* Accidentally using your posted message as your nickname
* Inability to ignore users who are annoying you.

Using another style of chat, ie, Java or IRC Style, these problems can be aleviated (spelling), and we would be able to offer more features, such as:

* Nickname Registration Services
* Channel Registration Services
* Ability to send Private Messages

Not to mention that you would be able to have a larger window do chat in [Smile]
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 53

Hart is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Hart's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 11:17 am   Post subject: IRC Style Chat System Reply with quote

I was a little frustrated there for awhile wondering if I was talking to Clem or Wolf... I quickly decided not to worry because I would figure if it was them or not plus that's what Trolls thrive on( Point being I'm not big on positive reinforcement by reacting in the way they expect.). Still it sounds like a good idea. Nothing more rude than stealing someones name or wondering if someone is stealing yours!
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 12:19 pm   Post subject: IRC Style Chat System Reply with quote

User name registration would be great as well as fixing it so people don't accidentally enter stuff in the "Enter Name" field.

Ignore/Squelch, sure whatever. Half the people on this board will probably squelch me though.
: P. That'd actually be kind of lame since you really only need squelching if someone is maliciously flooding the channel. And no one has done that yet.

DO NOT, and I really mean it. DO NOT create private messaging. It's already through the forum which is fine. You will kill the chat board if you add it. Go into IRC and have a look. Everything is silent in most of the channels because everyone sits around only speaking though private message or DCC Chat Mode. The whole community aspect breaks down.
Wolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 16

Wolf is offline View user's profile Send private message Wolf's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 1:44 pm   Post subject: IRC Style Chat System Reply with quote

Being one of the person that experience identity theft here I can only agree to have a more secure chat window.

Lets just keep it easy to use. That is what I like about he current one.

Regards,
Wolf [Wink]
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 14

gecko is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website gecko's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 10:30 am   Post subject: IRC Style Chat System Reply with quote

How about a java chat window that you can also connect to via an IRC client such as xchat or mirc, that way people who don't know how to use IRC are happy and the people who abhor java chat are too? I've seen this done at epilogue.net
USA Morg VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 12:55 pm   Post subject: IRC Style Chat System Reply with quote

That was more of less what I hd in mind. Although we're not going to do any major site changes until after May 21, when we find out what is going to be happening to us.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 5:26 am   Post subject: IRC Style Chat System Reply with quote

The chat window size and style are fine the way that they are. I would like to see user name recognition as well not being able to enter your post as your user name. I would not want any of the other features. Private messaging if a complete pain in the posterior and ignore is for somebody who is either being utterly offensive or flooding the chat. I like that the chat is locked to the page and follows me as I go through the siteI would like to make it just a "little" bit wider though. Maybe 1 1/2 the current size. but that is an ascetic thing. The problem that I have been percieving with the chat area is as I have stated above. For what it is worth... those were my two cents.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 81

PurpleRen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website PurpleRen's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 10:30 am   Post subject: IRC Style Chat System Reply with quote

I think a better chat might be needed...kind of wish I more control of the chat window, and make sure no one could take my nic...though I don't know who would want to...I'm just a junior member, with no friends....LoL

Nahh...but it would just be nice...the ability to be able to stop identity theft, and see who's just lurking...lol @ all you lurkers... j/k =)

But, which ever way it goes...just not a java chat...java doesn't work to well on my machines...
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: