StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

ADD "Our Town" from the Cars soundtrack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic 

could we add this one?
Yes
84%
 84%  [ 32 ]
No
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 38

USA tranzishun
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2223

tranzishun is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View tranzishun's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:57 am   Post subject: ADD "Our Town" from the Cars soundtrack Reply with quote

hey everybody i thought i'd see if we could include "Our Town" sung by James Taylor on the Cars soundtrack. Those who've seen the movie or have the soundtrack know what a nice song it is. i wasn't sure if the reason(s) why it was excluded was for copyright reasons or because it's not a score cue but seeing how Sheryl Crow and Rascal Flatts are already in the playlist im assuming it's not the latter. The song was composed by Randy Newman and nominated for an oscar. So whaddya say could we add this one to the playlist?

listen to a sample here - it's track 5
http://www.amazon.com/Cars-Various-Artists/dp/B000EUMPBS
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tranz.
Lieutenant

Member#: 18198

ld80061 is offline View user's profile Send private message View ld80061's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's verbal, but it is a nice song. I hope that the admin's will plug it in...
03 Feb 10 - 18:21:14 > taryn: LD Yes mooooood music Cool
USA tranzishun
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

tranzishun is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View tranzishun's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys! I think it's a memorable song from the movie and soundtrack, hope it gets added!
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:25 am   Post subject: Re: ADD "Our Town" from the Cars soundtrack Reply with quote

tranzishun wrote:
i'd see if we could include "Our Town" sung by James Taylor on the Cars soundtrack....i wasn't sure if the reason(s) why it was excluded was.. because it's not a score cue.

Thanks for this post, Tranz. I know a lot of ppl agree with you.

Sorry to tell you that this probably isn't going to happen. JERIC already added "Real Gone" and "Life Is A Highway" as a favor - but drew the line at them. "Our Town" was not included because it is not part of the score.

tranzishun wrote:
The song was composed by Randy Newman and nominated for an oscar.

On a side note, I was very fortunate to be able to see Taylor and Newman rehearse this for the Oscar show (5 times no less!) (They didn't need the rehearsal but the directors and crew did.)

They just made it all look soooo easy and smooth. The two of them (+ a grand piano) were seated on a small movable platform that had wires attached so it could be pulled across the stage before & after the number. The wheels kept getting tangled up on other cords - the ones for the hand-held close-up camera for the in-your-face/360° shots. James Taylor never just sits still. His fingers were always softly strumming the guitar no matter what was going on.
Australia TheSnowLeopard
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13799

TheSnowLeopard is offline View user's profile Send private message TheSnowLeopard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:06 am   Post subject: Re: ADD "Our Town" from the Cars soundtrack Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
Sorry to tell you that this probably isn't going to happen. JERIC already added "Real Gone" and "Life Is A Highway" as a favor - but drew the line at them. "Our Town" was not included because it is not part of the score.

"Life Is A Highway" is a 1991 pop song covered by the Rascal Flatts for the movie. "Our Town" was written for the movie and earned an Academy Award nomination and won a Grammy. You have other Randy Newman songs from three other Pixar movies, and Our Town is particularly evocative of the movie Cars. As far as I can tell, both songs appear on the commercially available CD.

I would appreciate it if you would reconsider your decision.

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:24 am   Post subject: Re: ADD "Our Town" from the Cars soundtrack Reply with quote

TheSnowLeopard wrote:
"Our Town" was written for the movie and earned an Academy Award nomination and won a Grammy.

Thanks a lot for your input, Snow. I stand corrected! (That's what I get for posting to the forums in the middle of the night Razz )

I just now checked the email exchanges from last April when this came up. There were 4 pop songs ppl were asking for and JERIC OK'd 2 of them.

"Our Town" was not one of the ones requested. Whether or not he'll consider that one is up to him of course.

So let the voting continue.... Smile
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted "yes". For TheSnowLeopard! Smile

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather see the rascal flatts song go away in order to get one that was written for the movie, as this is one of those that in no way reminds me of the movie like 'danger zone' for top gun.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, this should be added. It was one of the few things I played from the DVD over and over. It's an original composition and together with the images on screen is very evocative of a time gone by.
USA socr8s
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 7603

socr8s is offline View user's profile Send private message View socr8s's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to agree with Thur here. The original of "Life is a Highway" is so much better (although I wouldn't call it "Pop"). I enjoy the song as it stands but would like to see "Our Town" in its place.... if there was that option.
USA tranzishun
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. "Our Town" is very much a part of the soundtrack and the movie as a whole. Along with other Pixar- Randy Newman songs that Snow mentioned there are also many other "verbal" songs including other Disney soundtracks here. If we have to remove a song like the Rascal Flatts song (which i hope we don't have to) in order to get "Our Town" which in my opinon is more poignant. I'm in agreement with thur and socr8s.

"Main Street isn't Main Street anymore.."
USA dragon_Angel_05
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 12015

dragon_Angel_05 is offline View user's profile Send private message View dragon_Angel_05's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tranz. That song should be added to the playlist.
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in. Let's add it.
Cadet 3

Member#: 19559

Mathias is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Mathias's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

good add it
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: