StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Saddest Score
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Blue
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 472

Blue is offline View user's profile Send private message View Blue's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I disagree. I think you can definitely have sad, happy, scary, and inspiring music; music capable of unleashing specific emotions.
I wouldn't put the score to the Exorcist in the class of happy music - it scares the crap out of me, nor would I put the theme to Hawaii Five-O in the class of sad music.

I do believe that some music can cross over or be interpreted differently by the listener. And some clever directors and composers can use or score music against the images. For example, using Louis Armostrong's rendition of "What a Wonderful World" against images of war in Good Morning Vietnam. Ennio Morricone is masterful at scoring against the images.

Anyway, good music can indeed touch the listener in a magical way, as you suggest, Shock, but I also believe that you can certainly assign specific emotion to it, be it happy or sad. The definitions, however, may be completely dependent on the listener. All of this is in my humble opinion, of course.
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Saddest score for me, Glory, particularly the track: The Whipping.

Does anyone else find Two Socks from Dances With Wolves sad too? The music almost feels to me as if it is trying to achieve something it never can, kind of tragic. Just the musings of my mind...
Saffron
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 299

Saffron is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Saffron's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I absolutely bawl at "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday" by Gonzo in the Muppet Movie.
I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music. - George Elliot
Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

mellowman wrote:
Does anyone else find Two Socks from Dances With Wolves sad too?...

I think I agree with you there Mellowman. I really like this soundtrack - it has a lot of "soul", quite sad at times too.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5089

TrickSpine is offline View user's profile Send private message TrickSpine's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. so a lot of edward scissorhands, and a lot of schindler's list. everyone is saying "ice dance" of edward - myself, if i was going with that score, i would say "farwell". so, so sad, and haunting and happy all at the same time - especially at the end when the choir diminuendos (sp?) out.

land before time has been known to bring me a few tears - especially when the mother dies, (don't know the track name).

but, my all time saddest score would have to be black beauty. danny elfman, himself, says that he was pleased with it because of his love for sad music. every minute of it is so moving for me and even in its happiest moments, it is so subtly the saddest thing i've ever heard. one of the tracks, "ginger snaps" (which seems to have been mostly cut from the movie, i think), is more spaz-tasic and as it goes on it makes me think of someone drowning and they're so close to reaching the surface, but they just can't. Crying or Very sad "memories" has one of the most gorgeous and heart-breaking violin solos i've ever heard in my life. this score has complete and utter control over me. every time i listen to this soundtrack my throat swells up, and the tears just leak on their own. i've tried to show this to others, but they don't seem to really listen. it is sort of tragic in its own right that such a stunning score was written for such a bad, low profile children's film. Embarassed
Lelen
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 7202

Lelen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Lelen's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've agreed with just about all of the above comments...a real first on any webboard I've ever been on!!!

certainly, Ennio Morricone: the mission, Thomas Newman: meet joe black, John Williams:Schindler's list, Rachel Portman: the Joy Luck Club, and just about anything by Danny Elfman are very evocative of sadness...

might I also add - The score of 'Fried Green Tomatoes', 'crouching tiger hidden dragon', and most especially Charlie Chaplin's score for "Modern Times", notably with the theme,'smile'.

-h
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 4340

Haurk is offline View user's profile Send private message Haurk's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not read this whole thread, but I thought I'd comment some on the later posts.

I agree with Blue that music itself can bring fourth specific emotions.
But the reason for is I think is because we've grown up with specific music for specific emotions.

For example, to make music "scary" using
disonants, volume swelling, and sudden sounds in the background are easy to use tricks. But I think it's because our brain has learned that theese things is supposed to be scary.
I don't really know how to explain it, but I don't think a newborn baby would feel any different emotionwise if he/she heard the Jaws theme or the Winnie the Pooh theme.

and to make this post atleast a little on topic I agree with most of the previous posts (even if I havn't read them all) maybe adding The Piano Theme by Michael Nyman if that hasn't been said already.
I don't know which soundtrack to place as "the saddest" one, but if I can choose from non-soundtrack I'd say
Mad World by Gary Jules feat. Michael Andrews.
I don't think you can make a song much sadder than that. And it's only a piano, a cello and singing.
zev
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 359

zev is offline View user's profile Send private message zev's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

One I forgot about before, and then I recently watched the movie was: Road to Perdition. Its a very moving score, that at points is damn moving.
Canada holojedi
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 949

holojedi is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website holojedi's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Schindler's List got me with the feeling of sadness...
Jojoinsano
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 7462

Jojoinsano is offline View user's profile Send private message Jojoinsano's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Saving Private Ryan...hands down Sad
Ishmaelbbc
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 7725

Ishmaelbbc is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Ishmaelbbc's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love sad scores.

I vote for
"Born on the Fourth of July" - Williams (I can't imagine something more sad)
"Seven Years in Tibet" - Williams
"The Hours" - Glass
"Goodbye, Lenin" - Tiersen
"The Accidental Tourist" - William
"Angela's Ashes" - Williams
"Braveheart" - Horner
"Days of Heaven" - Morricone
"English Patient" - Yared
"Far From Heaven" - Bernstein
"Glory" - Horner
"Naqoyqatsi" - Glass
"Piano" - Nyman

Enough now.
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 5204

Kelaorqu is offline View user's profile Send private message Kelaorqu's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't technically a soundtrack (although it was used in Mr. Holland's Opus) but I love Beethoven's 7th. It always brings tears to my eyes. Especially when I think that he was completely deaf when he wrote it. I also love the soundtrack for Angela's Ashes, or Adagio for Strings. All very moving.
Cadet 1

Member#: 5204

Kelaorqu is offline View user's profile Send private message Kelaorqu's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot - The Mansions of the Lord from We Were Soldiers. Beautiful
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelaorqu use edit button next time to add to your post;)
Cadet 3

Member#: 8757

HenrikSolberg is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website HenrikSolberg's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Twin Peaks is a really sad. And Blade Runner too. And of course Schindler's List

In this order:
Twin Peaks
Schindler's List
Blade Runner

Those are my three choices!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: