StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Should greater track variety be encouraged?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Should SST encourage a greater variety of soundtracks and composers, on a voluntarily basis?
Yes: we should encourage SSTers to select tracks outside of their comfort zone, using "random days", awards, etc.
40%
 40%  [ 9 ]
No: We usually have a good mix of famous tracks and new music in the queue. There is no need to push for a broader selection of music.
59%
 59%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 22

Canada ld80061
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 18198

ld80061 is offline View user's profile Send private message View ld80061's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:45 am   Post subject: Should greater track variety be encouraged? Reply with quote

** On the chat...

A few nights ago, there was a discussion in chat, to the effect that a greater variety of tracks should be played.

I thought about the possibility of asking the SST owners for a ban of tracks and CDs (the stick) or giving rewards (the carrot) for playing unplayed tracks or CDs. Examples of carrots include giving non-VIP members VIP privileges for a day, for playing a lot of rarely-played tracks for a given period. (say, two weeks)

However, programming all this is a LOT of work, and would take up resources that could be better spent elsewhere. So the first move should be a voluntary day, or a request (not a requirement) that everyone play one unplayed track a day (for example).

** What say you?

But even this assumes that most people agree, that we should have more variety in what we play. I can't know until I ask my fellow SSTers.

If most people are happy with the current variety of tracks played, there's no reason to push for greater variety. But if most SSTers think that we should play less Williams, Goldsmith and Zimmer (or, for that matter, less Star Wars or Lord of the Rings) - and play more music from the less famous (but far more numerous) composers, then we should encourage people to voluntarily play the more obscure tracks and CDs.

What do you think?
Czech Republic Raygi
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 12138

Raygi is offline View user's profile Send private message View Raygi's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an increase of "No repeat" days would help.

I already pick "zero played" tracks in 90%. Game soundtracks have much more tracks on CDs. Smile
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:15 am   Post subject: Stick in the mud Reply with quote

That is me, a stick in the mud!
I have already heard more sound tracks than I ever knew could possible exist! As a non music major, I don't write or play anything, I am a great listener. I would never have known there were huge concerts in Japan of game music! Music for a game? You are kidding? Or Music for anime? what the heck? All because of SST and the people here who are passionate listeners for this kind of music, we are exposed to this genre of music.

The variety we have here is huge, very true. Just 1 CD short of 3000!!! There is not enough time to hear them all, very true. However, the solutions mentioned are not really too logical or acceptable. There is random Thursday. How many folks honestly hit that button for a random choice? Not if we see LOTR each hour!!! I do not mind.
One user and I picked from the early years for a long time to expose listers to those soundtracks. However, we cannot force anyone to pick anything.
You mentioned less John Williams. Hey we cannot help it if the man is a composer of great magnitude. There are lots of pieces he has done I never get to hear. However, I don't want him blackballed for a any amount of time so others pieces can be heard.

I am not sure what you were getting at with the VIP status, so I am not addressing that part.

You will never find a perfect way to set up such a place as SST. JERIC set it up to share his passion of sound tracks, and it has mushroomed into something wild and pretty neat!

One other thing. Many folks are not regulars as some of us are. They come in and pick a piece and might not return for a week or more. It is not logical to punish them for their picks.

I do not think the programing of odd days this and that, or too many John Williams so cut him off every 3 days is something possible. Now if you consider chopping into the Ennio Morricone collection, I will find out where you live.. A Threat?
Nope.. a promise!! Laughing

Once again if it is not broken then leave it alone.

Stepping off soap box.

Lieutenant

ld80061 is offline View user's profile Send private message View ld80061's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:24 am   Post subject: Re: Stick in the mud Reply with quote

Cinder wrote:

I am not sure what you were getting at with the VIP status, so I am not addressing that part.

VIPs can select more tracks than nonVIP. So, if they want more variety, we get more musical variety. If they like famous and well-known tracks, we get to hear lots of the standards and recognizable music. Pareto's law in action: 20% of a given population makes 80% of the decisions.

(A good reason for the reader to become a VIP, if they aren't already one! *hint* *hint*)

If the consensus is that we leave well enough alone, it's not a problem at all for me! The poll is only set for 30 days or so - but long before then, it should be obvious what most SSTers feel about the issue. I'll just bend with the wind on this issue, with my fabulously flexible spine of jello.

(And no, I'm not considering a run for a political office - why do you ask? Wink )
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted "yes" (I like "random days").

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA JadedTitan VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 19134

JadedTitan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View JadedTitan's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

...not that it matters much, but i'll do my little part and request random stuff just because i can Very Happy never know, i might find something new that i really like! But of course, everyone should be free to request whatever they want, even if the same STs/composers get played a lot.
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to thinking.
While my prior post has merit, it is not really the main idea you had set up this forum to discover.
So I am amending myself!

I know that I wanted folks to join in for Pirate day back in Sept. It was supported somewhat. I am not sure why not more by all. A good question.

I know it was stated when I was new that Thursdays were random. Just click and whatever comes up, short of tracks over 4-5 minutes during the day time in the US, that is what we got to hear. Do we do that? I don't know.

As I stated before, one other user and I tried to pick from the 1950 forward lists. And always ones with a zero times played.

For sure we are not all going to like all sound tracks. But someone does. Maybe if we let the folks know enough in advance it is short track day, or pick on you don't know day, or random pick day, we will expose ourselves to some of those less popular sound tracks that just sit there!
Lieutenant

Member#: 14512

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to be able to request tracks from a movie "SILENCE OF THE LAMBS".... but guess what... the compopser is Howard Shore... who has composed on the LOTR movies... And so, dur to the LOTR uber-popularity.... no matter what time, day or night that I try, LOTR is in the queue.... so I am deined the pleasure of requesting and hearing "Basic Instinct" tracks. I guess I'll go over to You Tube and see what I can scrounge up....

I'd like to see a limit of only 1 LOTR track allowed each Hour of the day or night.

Yep.... that's my Suggestion !! Laughing

Last edited by Sound_Track on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound_Track wrote:
I'd like to see a limit of only 1 LOTR track allowed each Hour of the day or night

You can't have more than 1 track per artist in the
queue at any time, and the queue is a minimum of 60
mins, so I'm pretty sure your suggestion is already
in place (with a few exceptions).

About the bigger variety issue:

I like the variety here, but I also don't mind that
the popular tracks are played a lot. They're
popular. That's how it works.

I don't think that SST should mandate any kind of
variety (with the possible exception of upping the
no repeat limit). If enough listeners want this
to be "StreamingLOTR.com" then that's what it'll
be. I'd be disappointed, and I don't think it'll
ever come to that.

I think the best way to approach the variety issue
is to:

A) Make sure you lead by example.

The more underplayed tracks you select the more
likely it'll be that folks hear and enjoy those
tracks. Perhaps then they will be encouraged to
follow your lead.

B) Encourage others to select underplayed tracks
as well.

This can be done in many forms, like your Queue
message saying something like "Another underplayed
track brought to you..." or "Support your local
underplayed track" or whatever. Encouraging
others in the chat would be OK too. Just remember
to keep in encouraging, not bossy or threatening.
You can also help by reviewing and rating those
underplayed scores that you enjoy to draw more
attention to them. Also, a post in the forum like
this one will help draw attention to the issue.

Thanks to all for their efforts to make SST an
even better place to be.

jeff
sdg
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound_Track wrote:
I want to be able to request tracks from a movie "Basic Instinct".... but guess what... the compopser is Howard Shore...

Basic Instinct was Jerry Goldsmith
http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/modules.php?name=Album&asin=B0000014SR

Last edited by thuringwethil on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Canada ld80061
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a peek - looks like it's neck in neck!

j2brown - I like your idea of leading by example. It's kinds difficult for non-VIPs, but VIPs can donate a selection or two to new stuff...
03 Feb 10 - 18:21:14 > taryn: LD Yes mooooood music Cool
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post j2!

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA Fairycat
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 14634

Fairycat is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Fairycat's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said j2brown.

As for me, I am not a regular on this site as most and I am lucky if I have time to visit once every other day which is around peak playing times. That being said, I am lucky if I can find an album or a track that I want to listen to that isn’t already up in the queue. So I usually end up picking a random track. Which I discovered I enjoy doing. When I first came to this site, I only knew a handful of composers (Williams, Goldsmith, Zimmer, etc) and now I have discovered much more through my random picks and others. So I really have no problem with the site as it is. I can still listen to the soundtracks by the more popular artists that I enjoy that are sure to be on the queue and I can listen to some random new composer that I haven’t heard yet and might enjoy. Win Win for me.
Lieutenant

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

thuringwethil wrote:
Sound_Track wrote:
I want to be able to request tracks from a movie "Basic Instinct".... but guess what... the compopser is Howard Shore...

Basic Instinct was Jerry Goldsmith
http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/modules.php?name=Album&asin=B0000014SR

Yes, you are correct ! ! !

I meant to say SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

My Bad
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
Sound_Track wrote:
I'd like to see a limit of only 1 LOTR track allowed each Hour of the day or night

You can't have more than 1 track per artist in the
queue at any time, and the queue is a minimum of 60
mins, so I'm pretty sure your suggestion is already
in place (with a few exceptions).

Yes, I know about the 60 minute queue, but, as soon as the LOTR tracks drops off... another one can be added, making it practically impossible to get any other Howard Shore soundtracks requested.

One LOTR track an hour...EVERY HOUR is keeping me from making any SILENCE OF THE LAMB requests. Embarassed

I'd like to see an hour by hour limit to LOTR tracks, you know.... 9am-10am - 1 LOTR track total.... 10am-11am - 1 LOTR track total, etc...

I don't have time to try to time my request just as the LOTR track drops off of the queue.

Confused
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: