StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

How do you pronounce your username?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
jbarta VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 10794

jbarta is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View jbarta's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is pronounced

Yah-vahr-ta

Most folks get it wrong.

Oh well.

And BP, I always did Bell Puree. As if you put a bell in a blender or something...

Eye-Ra is how I usually say Arya.

J.
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I don't know why, but I mentally thought Bhelpuri was pronounced "bell-fury". Waaaay off Smile Istagi I thought was "ees ta gi". Missed the "h". Jbarta I was saying "Jah bar tah". Otherwise I was right on too.
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I, too, have been wrong about so many names. This is a cool thread, though, and I will try to amend my pronunciation, lest I meet any of you. Especially jay-bart-ah. My apologies. And Istagi, now that I know what your handle means, I like it even more.

As for me, I'm Lady-Ink. Like what you write with. I named myself for a Batman Beyond villain. LadyI (Lady-eye) or just Lady are variants I've seen. Pete calls me Cleopatra or Cleo, along with any number of teasing honorifics, which always make me smile.

I am NOT, however, Lady-in-queue.
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

jbarta wrote:
Mine is pronounced

Yah-vahr-ta

Does "jbarta" actually mean anything? Or how come you pronounce it that way? The spelling would NEVER have made me think yah-vahr-ta...
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8715

Arya is offline View user's profile Send private message View Arya's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit I failed at Jbarta as well XD
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 7352

Armand is offline View user's profile Send private message Armand's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh there are some I've been pronouncing the wrong way in my head..

As for mine it is originaly a french name, so it should be pronounced in a french way.
However I've never been called Armand irl so I have yet to hear how people 'read' it.
This is how Anne Rice says it (about 40 sec in the clip):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCusaPkBJXM&feature=related
(..and don't watch the rest of the clip. She's ruining her own books)

- Ninomiya Kazunari
(from the song Niji/Rainbow)
wrabbit
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13971

wrabbit is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View wrabbit's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

most people read it as Rabbit, but since its short for whiterabbit, i've always pronounced it in my head "phonetically" as wuh-rabbit. i only know of one person who says it the way i do. probably b/c we're both writers (prounced 'righters') so its like some dorkish, unspoken literary inside joke, which i never realized til now.

honestly, i didn't think twice about it until i went to meet people from the site and realized that they most likely don't pronounce it the way i do, so i'd sound pretty stupid introducing myself as wuh-rabbit all night and everybody going, "huh?" since technically, they're not wrong (pronounced "rong" as in "song"). both ways are fine, as is the nickname wrab (pronounced, i'm assuming, "rab" by others and "wuh-rab" by me). any nicknames from pete i ignore.

istagi and ladyinque i had correct - jbarta i've always called joxer, so whatever there. bhelpuri i was half right. arya's canadian, so i'm sure even when she says it out loud it will sound WRONG differently to me.

someone nudge lieserl - i won't even try to phonetically spell out how i say that, but suffice it to say i add a sylable. don't ask. lmarrese i pronounce "la-mar". as in hedly lamarr.

i'm mostly curious to hear how pete and nate pronounce their names. Razz
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 10794

jbarta is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View jbarta's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I actually had yours Armand, I figured it was something different, but I was too lazy to figure it out Wink Cool Name BTW.

Lieserl- My stab at it "Lis-earl"

alien_avatar wrote:

Does "jbarta" actually mean anything? Or how come you pronounce it that way? The spelling would NEVER have made me think yah-vahr-ta...

Sad Actually, I just wanted my name to be cool like all you other cool unpronounceable name people. I didn't want to be another boring "Jay-Too-Browe", "NahT-Dawg-Twenty-Three" etc.

Spoiler:
It is actually just a rather boring Jay-Bar-Ta, unless of course you are WUHrabbit, then you pronounce it "Jox-Sir"

Sad

Oh well.

J.

My apologies to those of you who got it "wrong"
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

jbarta wrote:
Sad Actually, I just wanted my name to be cool like all you other cool unpronounceable name people. ...
Spoiler:
It is actually just a rather boring Jay-Bar-Ta, unless of course you are WUHrabbit, then you pronounce it "Jox-Sir"

Huh. This sounds like that episode of MST3K where Tom Servo decided that from now on, he'd spell his last name "Sirveaux," though it would be pronounced exactly the same way. Mike was cool with it, until Servo also insisted on an extra H in his first name. But instead of Thom, he wanted Htom, to be pronounced "Huh-tom".

Oh, and wuh-rabbit, what's with the humungous avatar image?
wrabbit
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13971

wrabbit is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View wrabbit's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i like to be noticed, ladyinque. and thank YOU for noticing.

actually, technical issues i just fixed. er, trial and error and all that. now if i can just figure out the bluetooth thingamawhatsit for my phone...

jbarta, sorry to hear you haven't figure out how to be cool.
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5408

Dufresne is offline View user's profile Send private message Dufresne's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Doo-FRAIN

~D
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of straddled the fence for wrabbit. I actually pronounced it as "wrabbit" rather than "wuh-rabbit" or "rabbit". wr like "wrench" and abbit like, well, "rabbit".

I'm not doing too bad otherwise.

jeff
sdg
Denmark Armand
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 7352

Armand is offline View user's profile Send private message Armand's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

jbarta wrote:
Wow! I actually had yours Armand, I figured it was something different, but I was too lazy to figure it out Wink Cool Name BTW.

"something different" lol, why thank you jbarta Wink

Someday it will be my real (middle)name and then I really have to figure out how to say it..

- Ninomiya Kazunari
(from the song Niji/Rainbow)
Dufresne
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5408

Dufresne is offline View user's profile Send private message Dufresne's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

jbarta wrote:
Mine is pronounced

Yah-vahr-ta

J.

Really? Wow. that's cool.
And wow, I've been saying it wrong this whole time, when I do actually say it that is.
Right on.

~D
Oglala Istagi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

wrabbit wrote:
most people read it as Rabbit, but since its short for whiterabbit, i've always pronounced it in my head "phonetically" as wuh-rabbit. i only know of one person who says it the way i do. probably b/c we're both writers (prounced 'righters') so its like some dorkish, unspoken literary inside joke, which i never realized til now.

honestly, i didn't think twice about it until i went to meet people from the site and realized that they most likely don't pronounce it the way i do, so i'd sound pretty stupid introducing myself as wuh-rabbit all night and everybody going, "huh?" since technically, they're not wrong (pronounced "rong" as in "song"). both ways are fine, as is the nickname wrab (pronounced, i'm assuming, "rab" by others and "wuh-rab" by me). any nicknames from pete i ignore.

istagi and ladyinque i had correct - jbarta i've always called joxer, so whatever there. bhelpuri i was half right. arya's canadian, so i'm sure even when she says it out loud it will sound WRONG differently to me.

someone nudge lieserl - i won't even try to phonetically spell out how i say that, but suffice it to say i add a sylable. don't ask. lmarrese i pronounce "la-mar". as in hedly lamarr.

i'm mostly curious to hear how pete and nate pronounce their names. Razz

I just call you "food" breakfast, lunch, dinner, midnight snack.

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: