StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

What book would you have made into a film?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:54 pm   Post subject: What book would you have made into a film? Reply with quote

I couldn't find this thread anywhere else (sorry if I'm duplicating). Being in the middle of Christian Jacq's "Ramses" series of books I was thinking how long it has been since anyone had done a proper Egyptian movie. I was thinking that the scale at which they could make an ancient Egyptian movie now and how well they could render incredible monuments like the pyramids in their past glories could make this series of books a spectacular set of movies.

Having posted about Arthur C Clarke elsehwhere I also thought the "Rama" series of novels would also make great films. Certainly the first two. Again, how special effects and sets could bring to life Clarke's vision of the alien spacecraft Rama would be really exciting.

And I don't know if any of you have heard of Louise Wener but her recent book "The Half Life Of Stars" would make a great off-kilter movie.

Any other suggestions?
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm. I dunno about the Egyptian movies. Mostly I just find those hilarious. But then, I'm an Egyptologist.

I always thought that The Hunger, by Whitney Strieber, deserved a remake. I would do it as a cable miniseries, taking its time, and concentrating more on the horror than what actress you could get naked. In a similar vein, the graphic novel Bite Club would also make a nifty miniseries on cable. It's kind of a vampires/mafia hybrid.

I hear they're going to make another Dune...
France masked_platypus VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd LOVE to see an adaptation of the Terry Pratchett's Discworld. But I'm also afraid of what I would see.
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton... but in order to do it justice it probably would have to be as elaborate as the entire Star Wars Series. Laughing
That said, I'm usually not satisfied with the film adaptations of books that I've enjoyed reading, so maybe sometimes it's better to just watch "the movie in your head".
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Platypus, there were some adaptations of Pratchett's material made by the BBC. I saw a bit and they seemed all right, though I'm not the biggest reader of the books, and therefore not the one they were trying to please.

I'd like to see (part of) Kusiel's Dart, by Jacqueline Carey, made into an opera. Does that count?
France masked_platypus VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
Platypus, there were some adaptations of Pratchett's material made by the BBC.

Never heard of them. Do you know if they're available? And where?
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hogfather was the first, followed by Colour of Magic. It seems you can buy them off Amazon.
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

masked_platypus wrote:
I'd LOVE to see an adaptation of the Terry Pratchett's Discworld. But I'm also afraid of what I would see.

You may want to find Hogfather. It was made into a TV movie for UK audiences and is now available on DVD. I am a huge fan of Discworld, and I thought that Hogfather (movie) was wonderfully done. Smile

There are also 2 animations done for Discworld. One is Soul Music (music with rocks in it!) and Wyrd Sisters.

edit: I didn't see LadyInque's post about Discworld before submitting this post. Thanks for bringing to my attention the BBC's adaptation of The Colour of Magic. I was hoping they would make more. Very Happy

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)

Last edited by genericdragon on Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A book that I would love to see as a movie is the sci-fi mystery Kiln People by David Brin.

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

alien_avatar wrote:
The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton... but in order to do it justice it probably would have to be as elaborate as the entire Star Wars Series. Laughing"

I did think of that or the Pandora's Star books.
But you'd need a triliogy of films for each book wouldn't you? They were massive! I think it pretty much took me a year to read the whole Night's Dawn trilogy. Great books!
PomPom
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11288

PomPom is offline View user's profile Send private message PomPom's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitly love to see a David Eddings book on Screen !

Like the Belgariad or the Elenium

I love this writer !
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4415

AK-Mal_Owner is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AK-Mal_Owner's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumour has it that Rendezvous with Rama is in the works... According to IMDB, Morgan Freeman is on board...

be interesting to see how it's done.

-tg/akm
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

AK-Mal_Owner wrote:
Rumour has it that Rendezvous with Rama is in the works... According to IMDB, Morgan Freeman is on board...

Shocked Wow! Awesome news!! Didn't find much more but Revelations Entertainment are supposed to be doing it and this is the link to their site.

Let's see.
USA unpoedic
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 3962

unpoedic is offline View user's profile Send private message View unpoedic's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

orson scott card's ender's game.
Germany NessySheep
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 21914

NessySheep is offline View user's profile Send private message View NessySheep's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna have a new & better version of "Brave New World" by Huxley. The tv movie with Leonard Nimoy is ok, but not great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: