StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

ADD: KASHMIR - THE SYMPHONIC LED ZEPPELIN
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Add the LPO "KASHMIR: THE SYMPHONIC LED ZEPPELIN"
YES -- Add this Symphonic Led Zeppelin Collection ! !
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
No -- Do Not Add this Symphonic Collection
60%
 60%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 20

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

So, adagio is for anything symphonic? Not just "classical?"
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to ask Saffron to be sure, Lady. I was just speculating.

jeff
sdg
Sound_Track
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 14512

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
Obi: Hmm. I thought he was the conductor for some reason, but I can't seem to verify that. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time (today). In any event, I don't think it belongs here at SST.

Sound_Track: I agree with what you're saying about music and film. However, I'm missing the part where this album is related to a film. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

On a related note, this actually might fit at Adagio.FM, but I'm not sure about that. Seems more of a fit than here, to me. Us and Them too.

jeff
sdg

I'm sorry jeff, I meant to highlight the part of your response, to make it clear what I was talking about.

Quote:
I had to vote no. Not that the music (at least in its original form, and very likely in this form as well) isn't great. However, the only "reason" provided to me for including Us and Them was that it was directed by Michael Kamen, who has also done scores, and because PF has done a soundtrack (although I don't believe that any of those tracks appear on Us and Them. And no, The Wall was a movie made from the album, so that doesn't count either). In any event, it's my well known opinion that we shouldn't have that here. I may be a hypocrite often in life, but I don't plan on being one here. To be consistent if we add this then we need to add Metallica's S&M album as well.

jeff
sdg

So, I guess my point is that:

There was a Motion Picture with Pink Floyd music in it ("The Wall")

And, there was Motion Picture with Led Zeppelin music in it ("The Song Remains The Same").

As for adding KASHMIR: SYMPHONIC LED ZEPPELIN, my take is, that if Pink Floyd's LPO work is here at SST, then Led Zeppelin's LPO work can be here also!

And, as for 'loose' correlations.... both Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin have beem involved in Motion Pictures.

Last edited by Sound_Track on Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sound_Track
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
Well, Darth, there are other arguments for removing Fantasia, such as sound quality. But the fact is, they are the soundtrack for a motion picture. We might as well remove all the classical music from Amadeus or the opera track from Shawshank Redemption if we want to purge music that wasn't written for a film.

I, personally, don't care for Led Zeppelin's music. I find the song Kashmir to be boring in its regular format, and I don't see a symphonic arrangement changing that. But that's just my opinion, and I know there are some devoted fans out there.

LadyInque, I have been a Zeppelin fan since I was teenager, back in 1969. I have actually seen Led Zeppelin, live, in the 70's on 8 occasions. This may surpsrise you, and other Zeppelin fans, but I agree with your statement about finding the song "Kashmir" boring, in its regular form.

It wasn't until 1977, when "Kashmir" was showcased on Zeppelin's tour, that I came to appreciate the awesome majesty and power of this song.
Live "Kashmir" vs. the studio version.... there is no comparision, for me!

And so, I say that, to say this... the performance of the LPO version on KASHMIR: SYMPHONIC LED ZEPPELIN really does make me recall the power and majesty of the incredible live version of "Kashmir", as performed by Led Zeppelin on their 1977 tour. When I listen to that LPO piece, it's just like a 'video' of the desert sands swirls in my head.

Creating vivid imagery with a symphonic piece... that's what good soundtrack music does best. Cool
Lieutenant

Member#: 3569

jackkerouac127 is offline View user's profile Send private message View jackkerouac127's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I started listening to Led Zeppelin back in middle school thanks to my older brothers. Kashmir is still my favorite song.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound_Track wrote:
As for adding KASHMIR: SYMPHONIC LED ZEPPELIN, my take is, that if Pink Floyd's LPO work is here at SST, then Led Zeppelin's LPO work can be here also!

You are correct, however I'm arguing that neither should be here.

We've never had "used in a movie" as an automatic pass for inclusion here, and I don't think we need to start. And this is a remake(?) of songs that appeared in a movie in some form. Following that logic we'd also have to consider including any cover or remake of any song that appeared in any capacity in any film, even if it was a different version. That's counter to JERICs more recent attempts to focus the playlist.

jeff
sdg
USA AK-Mal_Owner
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4415

AK-Mal_Owner is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AK-Mal_Owner's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

If all it takes is for an artist to have had a song used in a movie... then I'd like to request the entire Def Leppard discography be loaded. They had one song on the Last Action Hero soundtrack. Ergo, they've been involved in motion pictures.

See? See how really a$$inine that sounds? I voted no. It doesn't belong here. And neither does the PF LPO.

-tg/akm
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew there was a Pink Floyd / Michael Kamen connection:

http://pinkfloydhyperbase.dk/who/k.htm

Scroll down a bit when you get there.

jeff
sdg
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Kamen talking about it from the Metalica S & M video. So i thougth i was not crazy about him being tied to the US and Them. Now from that link J2 gave I didn't know he helped with the Wall which is very cool Smile
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

AK-Mal_Owner wrote:
If all it takes is for an artist to have had a song used in a movie... then I'd like to request the entire Def Leppard discography be loaded.
-tg/akm

Ooooops . . . that would be a$$inine.
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Official Led Zeppelin Site has now added a "Video" section:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/videos
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: