StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Any thoughts on the Oscar nominations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Trilobyte
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 58

Trilobyte is offline View user's profile Send private message Trilobyte's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:49 pm   Post subject: Any thoughts on the Oscar nominations? Reply with quote

What do you think of the Academy Awards nominations for Best Original Score?

The nominees:

- Elmer Bernstein, for Far from Heaven
- Philip Glass, for The Hours
- Elliot Goldenthal, for Frida
- Thomas Newman, for Road to Perdition
- John Williams, for Catch Me If You Can

Not too many surprises...

I am pleasantly surprised that Thomas Newman got a nomination, though I think Elmer Bernstein will win it.
Cadet 4

Member#: 341

YuHirà is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail YuHirà's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:56 am   Post subject: Any thoughts on the Oscar nominations? Reply with quote

Of course I'm happy for the nomination of Thomas Newman. Road To Perdition is THE masterpiece.
Lieutenant

Member#: 298

EyeDea is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail EyeDea's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:03 am   Post subject: Any thoughts on the Oscar nominations? Reply with quote

Well from the looks of that list, I’m pulling for Phillip Glass. I “tried” to like the Frida score, but I just don’t understand what all the fuss is about, I mean its not THAT great.

Now what surprises me is that neither Two Towers nor Badelt’s Time Machine scores were nominated. Someone told met that well LOTR is one film and can only get one nomination, and I understand that, but I consider the music to be separate. Each score has different themes, variations and structures, and should be treated separately. And Time Machine is one of the most wonderful scores of 2002, but obviously from that scores discussion thread it’s up for debate.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:28 am   Post subject: Any thoughts on the Oscar nominations? Reply with quote

The LOTR films can receive as many separate nominations as the Academy sees fit.

My vote is for Catch Me If You Can, but I doubt it'll win.
EyeDea
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

EyeDea is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail EyeDea's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:05 am   Post subject: Any thoughts on the Oscar nominations? Reply with quote

I totaly agree. In score terms they are seperate works and should be treated as such.
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:16 pm   Post subject: Any thoughts on the Oscar nominations? Reply with quote

Though I don't agree with you on politics EyeDea, you are right on the money with Frida and The Time Machine. I'm very disappointed in this years nominations.

Other that could have been considered:
We Were Soldiers
Attck Of The Clones
Spirit
Spider-Man
Signs

I think Signs or The Time Machine would get my vote.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
EyeDea
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:13 pm   Post subject: Any thoughts on the Oscar nominations? Reply with quote

Now I know that I’m not the only one. Very Happy I posted a thread about the time machine score and it got mixed reactions. Some people liked the score, others didn’t, and some had not even heard of it.

Perhaps it’s the lack of advertising by DreamWorks that didn’t give Badelts score that needed extra push that other scores got. But then again, Two Towers was pushed beyond belief, and that didn’t get Shore a nomination.
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:02 pm   Post subject: Any thoughts on the Oscar nominations? Reply with quote

I think it can be overlooked becuase Klaus is a newbie and the movie bombed at the theatre too.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
zev
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 359

zev is offline View user's profile Send private message zev's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:03 pm   Post subject: Any thoughts on the Oscar nominations? Reply with quote

I definatly think Road to Perdition should win. Very good film, and a fantastic score .
moviebob
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 709

moviebob is offline View user's profile Send private message moviebob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

road to perdition should have won by a long shot, and newman deserves credit for his work. the frida score wasnt as nearly as good and i also think some of the nominations were scrambled and newton should have been nominated for signs, but oh well.
Kristofke
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 778

Kristofke is offline View user's profile Send private message Kristofke's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the composers don't feel bad about not being nominated etc, I don't care. It's just a big commercial thing.

The beautiful action scores of Bruce Broughton and for example Cutthroat Island from John Debney were never recognized...

If Bruce Broughton would get some more attention, then we would have some great years of filmmusic, but nobody knows him, and that's a pitty.

And you can also see that filmmusic isn't that important to the Academy, it is one of the first categories to get their Oscar and the whole thing doesn't last longer then 1 minute.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Importance to the category during the awards show is based more on how important it is to the audience, than to the academy itself. Within the entertainment industry, all academy awards are equally important the day after, as the winning film composer will see a boost in his or her career just as the best actor will.

It is Mr. Joe and his wife sitting at home saying, "Film Score? Who cares about that!?", that puts categories like "best score" towards the beginning.
Kristofke
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 778

Kristofke is offline View user's profile Send private message Kristofke's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, and in a way it's positive that a great soundtrack isn't nominated. Because you see after Titanic being the big winner, James Horner' soundtracks after Titanic are just Titanic 2, 3,4, ... (ok, also before titanic, but not so many).

When a composer gets very popular, I get the feeling that the director says to the composer : "I would like something as great as you did on Titanic"

And btw, why aren't there two categories for soundtracks anymore?
Trilobyte
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 58

Trilobyte is offline View user's profile Send private message Trilobyte's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristofke wrote:
I agree, and in a way it's positive that a great soundtrack isn't nominated. Because you see after Titanic being the big winner, James Horner' soundtracks after Titanic are just Titanic 2, 3,4, ... (ok, also before titanic, but not so many).

When a composer gets very popular, I get the feeling that the director says to the composer : "I would like something as great as you did on Titanic"

And btw, why aren't there two categories for soundtracks anymore?

Well, that's not always true. John Williams has won five times and he is still pretty good.

And to answer your question, I think it's because the Academy felt it was giving Alan Menken and Disney too many Oscars by having two categories. If you remember, Disney was winning two Oscars almost every year (one for score and the other for song): The Little Mermaid (1989), Beauty and the Beast (1991), Aladdin (1992), The Lion King (1994), Pochahontas (1995).
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: