StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

More "Channels"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 

More channels?
Yes! More options means more subscriptions/money for SST.
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
No. Technical reasons.
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
No! I want to foist my craptacular music on others!
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
No. Dilutes the brand.
53%
 53%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 26

USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
Luther_III wrote:
Of course, there are some tracks that each of us dislike, and I find myself muting the stream occasionally.

Oh, Luther, you linked to a thread I created! How sweet of you! I feel like I've arrived, though I've always been here.

Wink

Last edited by Luther_III on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

No, and if you get tired here Jeric has 4 other stations to swap to. And if we did that I wouldn't be able to subject J2 to FZ Razz
Cadet 2

Member#: 9054

ulysse31 is offline View user's profile Send private message ulysse31's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:53 pm   Post subject: Re: More "Channels" Reply with quote

carni77 wrote:
How about more channels?
When it comes on, I switch to another station.

Yes it's a good idea! With the biggest soundtracks' library in the world, SSt can create new channels. Why let listeners of this community go far away instead of giving to them alternatives made by SSt (only game OST, only symphonic...) ? Anyway the main channel is SSt ! so there's no problem with that... I think it's the way to reach more people and not to lose listeners... But it's only my point of view.
Canada Arya
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8715

Arya is offline View user's profile Send private message View Arya's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

No. There's music here that I don't like, but I have something called a mute button that I can quietly engage so I don't have to be subjected to it. I like the giant SST community the way it is, and having all this diversity means I'm exposed to new things I may not have experienced if everything was divided up across half a dozen different sites.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A lot of people have bashed this idea. You folks haven't thought much about it. I have been working on a plan for this since nearly a year. I think we can have a very focussed playing list depending on the genre or other attributes that each user can specify. This will lead to each user hearing more music of the kind that he/she likes. I'll explain more-
In each user's profile there will be the option to add tags about what kind of music you prefer. For example, I will tag my interests as Orchestral, Violins, Saxophone, Wordless vocals, Italian, Bollywood.

Each cue on the queue will contain tag information which SAM will automatically look up and cross check with each users' interests. This match can be shown next to each track. Thus each user can see at a glance, which tracks in the queue are of interest to them.
With about 4 streams playing in parallel we have calculated that 91.5% of the time you will find a track of your interest in one of the 4 channels.

One could automate this (and that's my task for this summer) so that the stream will switch channels without user intervention based on tag ranks.

Other extensions are that you could copy another persons tags. So if you always want good music you can play safe and copy pingu's tags. Sensei will add the "pingufy the stream" button later.

I have been trying to convince (but failing miserably at it) Jeric to have a 'dislikes' tag feature. I could specify "Media Ventures Action", "Gustavo Santaollalla" for my dislikes tag and know when to switch channels. I think this would be more useful.

Of course, all this is a considerable investment in bandwidth so it will take a while till we reach Gamma testing. For now, the system works with a cheap RAID installation with APR prebooted along with ILF-00L.

Stay tuned!
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would like to see your idea in action before I make a decision... I'm very curious to see your proposal in action Smile Keep us posted Bhel!!
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting idea BP. And quite different from idea of just making new channels that carni77 suggested.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, well. Just wanted to say that I was obviously kidding when I posted above. It was an april joke that didn't find much audience Smile Guess I should post early in the day next time.
APR prebooted with ILF-00L is just that!

So were you guys playing along or did you really believe what I typed?

But seriously, having more channels would dilute the stream. We need the variety we have currently. One wouldn't discover gems of other genres if not for the current programming.

That being said, I'm sure we all would love a "pingufy the stream" button Very Happy
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... I fell for it - completely. Very Happy
The only thing I wondered about was the fact that "you'd been working on it for over a year"!?
Trot out the techno-babble about issues I know nothing about, and I'll believe anything! Laughing Wink

P.S.: APR prebooted with ILF-00L
ROFLMAO... hours later I finally get that!!!
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

alien_avatar wrote:
LOL... I fell for it - completely. Very Happy

So did I Very Happy
One very little excuse for me is that BP's post is dated 02 Apr 2008 in my display Wink

The only doubt that I had was about the fact that changing streams, generally, should be effecting in breaks in the music for a listener.

And of course I would like to have "pingufy the stream" button very much! Very Happy
Now I must be hoping that Pingu will be "pingufying the stream" for us herself - as often as possible Smile

USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

BhelPuri wrote:
...So were you guys playing along or did you really believe what I typed?...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Upon reading your first post, I was seriously going to reply, "You've got to be kidding!..." But I did forget all about April 1, and I totally glossed over APR prebooted with ILF-OOL.

Mr. Green

P.S. So, is April Fool's Day international?
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther_III wrote:

I think it is. In Poland we call it "Prima Aprilis".

Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther_III wrote:

It's "celebrated" in Germany as well... as "Aprilscherz" (April Joke).
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I believed the post... but I STILL didn't think it was a good idea per say Razz
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 57

Morg is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Morg's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't like the idea of creating more channels. I do like the fact that 24sevenFM was created for that purpose. However, this site is dedicated to all things soundtrack related, and should remain that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: