StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

More "Channels"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 

More channels?
Yes! More options means more subscriptions/money for SST.
23%
 23%  [ 6 ]
No. Technical reasons.
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
No! I want to foist my craptacular music on others!
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
No. Dilutes the brand.
53%
 53%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 26

carni77
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 4223

carni77 is offline View user's profile Send private message carni77's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:59 pm   Post subject: More "Channels" Reply with quote

How about more channels?

For example, I am sick of the all the crap Anime and game music this station plays. When it comes on, I switch to another station. I am sure there are others that can't stand this "music."

For example, you could have a pure orchestral channel, a media ventures channel, a williams channel, a new release channel, a daily theme channel so on and so forth.

Probably wouldnt effect bandwith much and you give your users more options.
Netherlands stefan_nl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 11136

stefan_nl is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View stefan_nl's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has music they can't stand.
Some don't like anime, some musicals etc. etc.

By creating more 'channels' the mix of all types of soundtracks that makes SST great is gone.
So I voted no.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 3569

jackkerouac127 is offline View user's profile Send private message View jackkerouac127's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

NO!
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the varierty. Say I also voted No.
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I don't like some of the music on SST, SST is tailored for LOTS AND LOTS of people. Not only that, variety is what keeps this station interesting. I love John Williams or Giacchino but I don't want to listen to them constantly. (I like some of the videogame soundtracks anyway Razz ) Smile

and btw Exclamation adagio.fm is an orchestral channel Very Happy
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure there are tracks on SST that I don't like, but on the whole I'm rather fond of the wide variety of tracks that are being offered.
When I feel like listening to a particular kind of music for hours on end, I turn to my personal music collection.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 19134

JadedTitan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View JadedTitan's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think your No poll options are really fair...but i like the variety here, like others have said before me. I don't like everything of course, but it is good to hear different things because through random listening i have found great new stuff i never would have otherwise. Diversity is what makes SST great, leave it as it is.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed at least once in the history of SST. The reasons it has not been done include:

Technical reasons
Not worth the effort to maintain multiple streams
Fragmenting of the community (which is really what makes SST what it is)

I'm sure there are others that I've forgotten.

jeff
sdg
USA AK-Mal_Owner
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4415

AK-Mal_Owner is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AK-Mal_Owner's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah.... uh.... no. If it weren't for the variety here, I would have missed out on some truly great music. Granted Zelda 64 isn't the greatest of music, but it also brings back memories.... still haven't decided if they are fond or not.

-tg/akm
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:22 am   Post subject: Re: More "Channels" Reply with quote

carni77 wrote:
For example, I am sick of the all the crap Anime and game music this station plays. When it comes on, I switch to another station.

It sounds to me like you already have other "channels."

I keep saying, if we're all going to listen to this station, we must learn to share.
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree heartily with most of the comments here. One of SST's greatest assets is its massive playlist. It would be a shame to divide it into such narrow tastes. I have found wonderful music that I had no idea existed just by listening here day after day.

Of course, there are some tracks that each of us dislike, and I find myself muting the stream occasionally.

As Lady suggested, there are already plenty of other specialty stations that play only 'Game Soundtracks' or 'Anime Soundtracks' or 'only the best movie themes...' or something like that. So what would narrowly-defined SST channels accomplish?

Let's also not forget that another thing that makes SST great is this fine community of listeners. The administrators frequently implement suggestions made by us common folk. So, carni77, please keep listening and making suggestions! Smile

Mr. Green
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

From what have been offered in the poll I've chosen: "No. Dilutes the brand."

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
France masked_platypus VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why I enjoyed listening to soundtracks is the great variety of music I can hear. There is only a few scores that I don't like AT ALL. Let's say that I hear one or two only a day. Then, I know where my mute button is Razz

So, it's a no for me. Splitting this station into a lot of "small" ones will makes me listen to noone of them.
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
This has been discussed at least once in the history of SST. The reasons it has not been done include:

Technical reasons
Not worth the effort to maintain multiple streams
Fragmenting of the community (which is really what makes SST what it is)

I'm sure there are others that I've forgotten.

jeff
sdg

Yeah, I remember this too, although I couldn't find it after a quick browse of the forums. I too remember the fragmentation of the community being the big concern - and the increased amount of bandwidth that would be needed and the things you mention j2.

As far as I'm concerned I have the variety of SST to thank for introducing me to music that isn't really mainstream score music. And if a track comes along that I just can't stick then I just press play on iTunes. Can't remember if iTunes was an option way back then though!
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther_III wrote:
Of course, there are some tracks that each of us dislike, and I find myself muting the stream occasionally.

Oh, Luther, you linked to a thread I created! How sweet of you! I feel like I've arrived, though I've always been here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: