StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

who's the most recognisable composer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
dELUXe
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 1066

dELUXe is offline View user's profile Send private message dELUXe's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have say, Hans Zimmer on the Movie-soundtrack-list, and on the videogame list.. well i have to think on that one (Koji Kondo make some heavy blip and blop) And the tracks in MGS2 by Harry Gregson-Williams (also made some good songs on movies)

Yeah, Harry and Hans have to be my favorites.
Harry_Palmer
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 1415

Harry_Palmer is offline View user's profile Send private message Harry_Palmer's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 5:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennio Morricone can be quite recognisable, not only the whistling in the westerns scores but he also has a certain style in his action/dramatic scores.
insshc
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 1508

insshc is offline View user's profile Send private message insshc's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean recognizable as in knowing who it is upon listening to a track, then definitely James Horner. He uses so much trademark instruments and musical motifs and chord progressions that his composing is immediately recognizable.

If you mean recognizable as in familiarity to the main-stream, I'd probably say John Williams first with Hans Zimmer a close second, depending on the generation =]
insshc
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 1508

insshc is offline View user's profile Send private message insshc's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

although I have to say, although this is unrelated, I love Elfman, I love his quirkiness and absolutely magical mastery of music composition

just in case you were curious =]
Netherlands Glorix Jim
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 1753

Glorix Jim is offline View user's profile Send private message Glorix Jim's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:39 am   Post subject: What about Joe Hisaishi Reply with quote

Please don't forget the Japanese contribution to film music.

Princess Mononoke
Hana Bi
Brother
Spirited Away
Castle in the Sky
FrozenHan
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 440

FrozenHan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View FrozenHan's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt, John Williams, hands down
We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

--Tyler Durden
phexus
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 2416

phexus is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website phexus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

With out a doubt, Danny Elfman is the most recognizable composer.
USA Goblinmoon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 1999

Goblinmoon is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Goblinmoon's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

my vote on varied but very good, is George Fenton... Although I'd have to add Carter Burwell too.

these are meant as recongizable but unknowns... Lots of people know the scores, but not the composer.

As to most well known... now understand I am not saying the best. John Williams, no doubt. When you've done the scores for most of the top grossing movies of all time...

Goblin
GrooveMerchant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2617

GrooveMerchant is offline View user's profile Send private message GrooveMerchant's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to put in a vote for John Williams and Hans Zimmer for sure, mostly because of all the Spielberg stuff and then Zimmer's incredible sucess with Gladiator, and maybe James Horner, he's everywhere!
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder that this topic is "Most Recognizable Composer" and not "Most Popular Composer". Recognizable meaning only hearing 3 notes and knowing who the composer is. Or hearing something you never heard before and you are able to guess the composer.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Marko
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 454

Marko is offline View user's profile Send private message Marko's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I can usually recognize Jerry Goldsmith, I can almost always recognize a Zimmer score. James Newton Howard does a very good job but is a little harder fot me to recognoze. John Williams is one of the easily racognized to me. I love them all. Their music is great.

Marko
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

John Williams is probably easiest for me to pick out of a lineup.

Now if Edward Shearmur were to compose something new, I probably wouldn't be able to guess it was him because he's a shapeshifter.

I might have trouble distinguishing between Hans Zimmer and Klaus Badelt, especially if it is a new score I haven't heard before.
USA rebeccabutterfly
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 3098

rebeccabutterfly is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website rebeccabutterfly's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say every time I hear something by Rachel Portman I can identify it. Love her stuff too. I would say that she's a very recognizable composer or at least identifiable.
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the composer would have to be Zimmer. Even with his variety, I can recognize his scores (although some would dispute that all of his stuff is similar).
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, without any hesitation, it would have to be Horner. I can almost always tell when I'm listening to one of his pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: