StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

who's the most recognisable composer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA maddy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2207

maddy is offline View user's profile Send private message View maddy's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I can almost always recognize a Bernard Herrmann piece. He was more diverse in his compositions than the more recent composers in my opinion, so recognizing his work's a little more difficult.

Between the Hitchcock movies and Taxi Driver to Ghost and Mrs. Muir...the styles are so different, but his work is so recognizable for me. He and Franz Waxman are probably my favorite composers of the past.
Meridius
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 13204

Meridius is offline View user's profile Send private message Meridius's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregson-Williams and Zimmer.
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Goldsmith definetely for me.
But I also agree with Williams, Horner and Elfman.
But actually you also can guess it's a Philip Glass when you hear it.
The same for Michael Nyman. (Maybe because both usually write "minimal music")

The only problem with the great composers of the "golden era" very often is, that they were all influenced either by Wagner and Ravel.
So you can't always distinguish a Korngold from a Steiner or a Rozsa from North.
So you do recognise it, but you hardly can tell out of the blue which master wrote it.
But maybe I lack the experience having heard these works...
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add that the influence by Wagner and Ravel etc. not necessarily always had to exist,
but it was just that period where the producers apparently wanted to have these style characteristics...so Korngold, Steiner, Rozsa and Co. very often didn't have another choice than to take inspirations from those.
Or am I wrong about that?
NotMiles
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 13732

NotMiles is offline View user's profile Send private message NotMiles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

John Barry - melodies are generally in the strings w/ brass only in a support role. Contrast that w/ John Williams.
golfboy
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 13738

golfboy is offline View user's profile Send private message golfboy's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Notmiles said:

Quote:
John Barry - melodies are generally in the strings w/ brass only in a support role

It's funny, but I was going to say I have a hard time recognizing John Barry. It might be a matter of exposure to his stuff, I only have a few of his scores whereas I have a wide range of Goldsmith or Williams.

I'd say I'm able to recognize Elfman the fastest, but in a good way. Horner too, although that's probably more due to his tendency to recycle phrases and motifs Rolling Eyes

Williams and Goldsmith, yeh, there are commonalities that you can recognize between different scores. James Newton Howard is usually pretty hard for me to spot right away.

As far as popularity goes, you have to think Williams is the most high-profile composer in the game for the last twenty-five or thirty years. Hardly a year goes by where he isn't up for an award (or two!)
NotMiles
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 13732

NotMiles is offline View user's profile Send private message NotMiles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of John Williams, I imagine a deep-pockets producer and director sitting around having drinks and after much discussion of their upcoming film, suddenly realizing, "Oh yea! The film must have music in it. Well, heck, call John Williams. We can afford him!"

In that regard, Mr. Williams may be critically thought of as a whore for the industry... and a successful whore at that!

One would think Mr. Williams has made enough money from his Olympics theme to feed most of Asia. One cannot question his ability to generate volumes of scores, yet there is something eerily calculated about his success.

Not Miles
OptimisprimalX
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 13611

OptimisprimalX is offline View user's profile Send private message OptimisprimalX's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a lot of calculatedness (if you will) to John Williams' scores. I think he's somewhat recogniseable, but I think he does a good job of being original with his scores too.

He's kind of a trumpet triple-tounge fiend though (Imperial March, Star Wars Main Theme, and Olympic Fanfare just to name a few).
Auroter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13482

Auroter is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Auroter's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Only for certain styles of film though... take a look at Jurassic Park for instance...
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 14648

BDoggWhite is offline View user's profile Send private message BDoggWhite's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Armstrong
Nomble
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 14912

Nomble is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Nomble's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Zimmer
Morpheus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10545

Morpheus is offline View user's profile Send private message Morpheus's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I can always spot a Williams, a Horner, a Powell, a Newton-Howard, a Zimmer....... You will always recognize music by the people you know best!! Duh!!! Razz
Lieutenant

Member#: 14512

Sound_Track is offline View user's profile Send private message Sound_Track's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I could pick out a Bernard Herrmann Score.
Cadet 4

Member#: 14738

Nephilim is offline View user's profile Send private message Nephilim's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice : Joe Hisaishi and John Williams are the most recognizable soundtracks composers ...
Canada TreeBob
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5527

TreeBob is offline View user's profile Send private message TreeBob's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nephilim is smart
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: