StreamingSoundtracks.com
Search

 

VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Click Here To Listen

Follow Us


Donation Meter


Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$300.00

11 Donations:
$200.00

Death.FM (Apr-22) SnugglyOne $100.00
Death.FM (Apr-22) irule $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-17) Leina $15.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-16) Borg124 $5.00
Adagio.FM (Apr-15) Tonks $5.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-13) Tonks $5.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-11) molossus $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-10) Bignose_de $10.00
Death.FM (Apr-3) Jtank6 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-1) alberich $5.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) postmasterdclxvi $15.00

 


Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-31) Caliburn $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-29) GalFin $20.00
Death.FM (Mar-28) tesseract $35.00
Death.FM (Mar-26) SniperTodd $5.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-23) resiti $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-22) shade $5.00




Windows Phone App

Android App

SSTore



:: SSTore ::


Meet & Greet World Tour
:: Tour Dates Thread ::


Windows Media

Partners


:: Link To Us ::
:: Add Your Link ::


Stars for VIPs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Author Message
USA zirael VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander



Joined: Feb 05, 2004
Member#: 4924
Posts: 785
Location: North Carolina

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:33 am   Post subject: Stars for VIPs? Reply with quote


I saw the stars today 5/1/08 beside each name on the member list and figured it was for the VIPs. Do you think these are really necessary?

I think they clutter up the visuals of the site and it doesn't have to be so obvious who is a VIP. Folks can already tell if someone is a VIP if you click on their profile or see them requesting a lot in the queue. I don't feel like this is a tactic that will increase the number of VIPs because personally I think it rubs it in the face of the non-VIPs. If the admins are really are into keeping the stars, having them beside names in the forums isn't as obtrusive visually.

What do you all think?
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain



Joined: Sep 15, 2006
Member#: 15677
Posts: 1639
Location: Louisville, KY USA

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote


I like the stars. I might have them be a little more subtle (smaller) but I like them. I DID pay my hard earned cash to become a VIP and this allows me to show the world that I valued SST enough to become a member and support this great site!! I can't say that I think it "rubs it in the face of the non-VIPs" simply because they can become VIPs as easily as we did. Wink
_________________
I do not wake up with thoughts of control and rebellion, but thoughts of purpose and righteousness and the empowerment to fulfill those convictions that define me.
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)



Joined: Aug 09, 2005
Member#: 11167
Posts: 2424
Location: Szczecin and Warsaw (Poland)

molossus is online now View user's profile Send private message View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote


Good to see this thread started. Thanks zirael.
Here are my first impressions on this topic and I'm interested in what the others have to say.

I like what zirael said.
If we had a poll here, my vote would be to remove these stars or at least to move them into the forums as zirael suggested.

I don't think marking out the VIPs this way is necessary. It wasn't difficult to tell who is the VIP judging by numbers of reqs in the queue or uising profile page of SSTer. I also liked the policy of not marking out VIPs in the chat (It has been a subject of discussion before).

BTW: If stars are to stay in current place my hint is to make them smaller, more subtle, more delicate.
_________________
"The piano keys
Are black and white
But they sound like a million colours in your mind"
(from Spider's Web by Katie Melua)
---
Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Czech Republic pingu VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade



Joined: Sep 07, 2004
Member#: 7856
Posts: 82
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

pingu is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail pingu's Favorites are Private
AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote


Thank you, zir, for your post.

I don't like the stars. To be a VIP is a wonderful status itself.

We are donating - money and CDs - because we want to help SST,
and also for our own happiness and great listening experience, not for a star.
_________________
Nothing good ever ends. William Saroyan
USA unpoedic
Ensign
Ensign



Joined: Dec 08, 2003
Member#: 3962
Posts: 35
Location: CR, IA (US)

unpoedic is offline View user's profile Send private message View unpoedic's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote


not terribly keen on vip stars, myself (esp. if we're sharing a dressing room...), but aesthetically, i do like the idea of a vip color next to the mod green, admin orange and proprietor purple--if, as zirael pointed it, it really is justifiable to visible elevate paid users. somehow i doubt a graphic next to one's name will encourage more upgrades--unless users are that peer pressure-oriented.
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain



Joined: Sep 15, 2006
Member#: 15677
Posts: 1639
Location: Louisville, KY USA

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote


unpoedic wrote:
not terribly keen on vip stars, myself (esp. if we're sharing a dressing room...), but aesthetically, i do like the idea of a vip color next to the mod green, admin orange and proprietor purple--if, as zirael pointed it, it really is justifiable to visible elevate paid users. somehow i doubt a graphic next to one's name will encourage more upgrades--unless users are that peer pressure-oriented.


I like the color change idea as well. Smile Subtlety is the key here.
_________________
I do not wake up with thoughts of control and rebellion, but thoughts of purpose and righteousness and the empowerment to fulfill those convictions that define me.
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander



Joined: Jun 20, 2005
Member#: 10621
Posts: 742
Location: New Orleans

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote


It's interesting that so far the slightly negative opinions of the stars have come from VIPs... Wink

I'm not a VIP, and I have no problem with the stars. They don't make me feel like a second-class citizen, and I think they're actually kind of pretty. (Of course, I've been a VIP in the past, so maybe I'm less sensitive than other non-VIPers.) Sure, maybe they could be more subtle in the 'Online Now' list. I dunno, I just don't mind them. *shrug*

Mr. Green
_________________
"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.... I get most joy in life out of music."
--Albert Einstein


Last edited by Luther_III on Thu May 01, 2008 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
UK mellowman VIP (subscribed member)
Captain
Captain



Joined: Sep 02, 2003
Member#: 2939
Posts: 1117
Location: UK

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote


I dunno, don't you guys see it as a badge of honour? I quite like it.
USA Genpoint
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade



Joined: Nov 20, 2006
Member#: 16253
Posts: 52
Location: Western Massachusetts, USA

Genpoint is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Genpoint's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote


I trend with the detractors. Actually, I think I am in complete agreement with molossus.
The change in the forums is fine. The "Online Now" listing is a little overwhelmed by the stars.

Just so you know, I wont be reacting to the stars tonight when I renew my lapsed VIP membership Smile
BhelPuri VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander



Joined: Feb 11, 2004
Member#: 5034
Posts: 296
Location: USA

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:45 pm   Post subject: Re: Stars for VIPs? Reply with quote


zirael wrote:


I think they clutter up the visuals of the site and it doesn't have to be so obvious who is a VIP. Folks can already tell if someone is a VIP if you click on their profile or see them requesting a lot in the queue. I don't feel like this is a tactic that will increase the number of VIPs because personally I think it rubs it in the face of the non-VIPs. If the admins are really are into keeping the stars, having them beside names in the forums isn't as obtrusive visually.

What do you all think?


Exactly! I would prefer not to have the stars or any kind of highlighting. People can see who the VIPs are if they click the profile or if they see the frequency of requests in the queue.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)



Joined: Jul 21, 2004
Member#: 7382
Posts: 2673
Location: Oregon

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote


Luther_III wrote:
I'm not a VIP, and I have no problem with the stars. They don't make me feel like a second-class citizen, and I think they're actually kind of pretty.

mellowman wrote:
I dunno, don't you guys see it as a badge of honour? I quite like it.


I agree. Smile

Since the stars were first posted early this morning, they have been toned down somewhat. Like any new formatting on the site, it usually takes some trial-and-error time, tweaking, and a little getting used to.

I personally like the stars in the Online Now list. Think of it as a form of advertising. People see them and ask about them in chat. Remember - only about 10% of the listeners log in at any one time, and far far fewer than that ever venture into the forums!

It seems like the VIP system has always caused controversary about the "haves" and "have-nots" and possibly hurting people's feelings. All I can say is JERIC has tried very very hard to make VIP affordable for everyone. Is $4.99 too much to ask? It's not even a year-long commitment - just a month at a time. If a month's budget is too tight, maybe next month will be better. Anyone can be a VIP for one-third the price of a CD or a movie ticket. It's less than a full meal deal or Whopper.

We are all very aware of the tremendous value - you get hundreds of opportunities to request your favorite songs, and give much needed support to the stations, too.

The overhead costs are tremendous, and increasing more every month. We're not talking just bandwidth here - but playlist material as well.

24Seven.fm needs as much help as it can get! If a few little stars help toward that end, then so be it.
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain



Joined: Sep 15, 2006
Member#: 15677
Posts: 1639
Location: Louisville, KY USA

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote


Twopop wrote:
Luther_III wrote:
I'm not a VIP, and I have no problem with the stars. They don't make me feel like a second-class citizen, and I think they're actually kind of pretty.

mellowman wrote:
I dunno, don't you guys see it as a badge of honour? I quite like it.


I agree. Smile

Since the stars were first posted early this morning, they have been toned down somewhat. Like any new formatting on the site, it usually takes some trial-and-error time, tweaking, and a little getting used to.

I personally like the stars in the Online Now list. Think of it as a form of advertising. People see them and ask about them in chat. Remember - only about 10% of the listeners log in at any one time, and far far fewer than that ever venture into the forums!

It seems like the VIP system has always caused controversary about the "haves" and "have-nots" and possibly hurting people's feelings. All I can say is JERIC has tried very very hard to make VIP affordable for everyone. Is $4.99 too much to ask? It's not even a year-long commitment - just a month at a time. If a month's budget is too tight, maybe next month will be better. Anyone can be a VIP for one-third the price of a CD or a movie ticket. It's less than a full meal deal or Whopper.

We are all very aware of the tremendous value - you get hundreds of opportunities to request your favorite songs, and give much needed support to the stations, too.

The overhead costs are tremendous, and increasing more every month. We're not talking just bandwidth here - but playlist material as well.

24Seven.fm needs as much help as it can get! If a few little stars help toward that end, then so be it.


Couldn't agree more Two. Well said. Wink (btw, don't forget the © and ® by the "Whopper" Razz Wink )
_________________
I do not wake up with thoughts of control and rebellion, but thoughts of purpose and righteousness and the empowerment to fulfill those convictions that define me.
Brazil Pesadelo
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)



Joined: Dec 19, 2007
Member#: 19747
Posts: 205
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Pesadelo's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote


Total support, 2pop Smile
_________________
I think I think, therefore I think I am. (Ambrose Bierce)
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)



Joined: Aug 26, 2007
Member#: 18704
Posts: 4284
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote


Nothing to add what Twopop said.
Personally I do not really mind if there is a star behind my name. I am not against it. I think it will help 24Seven.FM.
_________________
That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
Collections
Requests
NUT/RAT
Germany alien_avatar VIP (subscribed member)
Captain
Captain



Joined: Oct 28, 2006
Member#: 16007
Posts: 1280
Location: Berlin

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote


If it helps... *shrug*

Personally I would have prefered a colored name (but maybe then the Admins and Moderators would get lost in that) or a tiny picture saying [VIP] behind the name instead of a star.

The star makes me think of rated albums... and all we got was one!? Razz Wink
_________________
"Welcome to the paranoia club; cheapest fees in the universe and membership lasts forever."
- Peter F. Hamilton, The Evolutionary Void
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Forums ©


Copyright © 2001-2014 24seven.FM, LLC All rights reserved.
Comments, images, and trademarks are property of their respective owners.
You can syndicate our news using the file backend.php or ultramode.txt. Robots may follow the Sitemap.