StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Stars for VIPs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

alien_avatar wrote:
or a tiny picture saying [VIP] behind the name instead of a star.

We can see this kind of idea in use at DFM.

I'm trying to imagine the use of tiny SST sign from SST's logo instead of the star here...

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

molossus wrote:
I'm trying to imagine the use of tiny SST sign from SST's logo instead of the star here...

Or what about a nice tiny filmstrip or movie clapper board Smile
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

According to those in the know, there were noticeably more VIP signups on the first day of having the stars, and they weren't even in effect for the full day. Time will tell if that's a trend or not, but in any event the stations can use the help.

In my book, if it makes more people sign up for VIP than it make quit VIP, it's a good thing for the stations.

I'm also not a fan of a different color for VIPs in the chat (and it's been tried in the past for those who don't remember), but I wouldn't be opposed to something like an italics or underline designator.

jeff
sdg
jeff
sdg
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:

I wouldn't be opposed to something like an italics or underline designator.

I think underlining sounds interesting.
For me, yellow underline designator in "Online Now" box could be more subtle way of marking out VIPs than the star. But that's just my opinion. If stars work good for SST I can live with them.

USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
According to those in the know, there were noticeably more VIP signups on the first day of having the stars, and they weren't even in effect for the full day. Time will tell if that's a trend or not, but in any event the stations can use the help.

I'm glad that the stars are helping with VIP signups, but I think it's just short term measure to increase the visibility of the VIP program. After these signups slow down, the stars just make it easier to accept other types of labeling that may occur, whether it be changing people's colors in the chat or underlining or whatever, and it may give VIPs a feeling of entitlement that changes the way they treat non-VIPs.

I had a bad reaction to the stars partly because I felt like I was in first grade getting a star sticker for good behavior or something and also because of the historical association with labeling folks with stars. If the stars are going to stay, I'd prefer having a musical note or other symbol beside my name on the member list.

Also, I felt that I paid for a service on SST, and I felt that my privacy wasn't respected since I didn't want my VIP status advertised to everyone on the main page. It may be better to give folks the option of being able to show their VIP/subscription status or not in their profile and also whether they want the stars displayed or not.

Thanks for reducing the brightness of the stars since the first day they were posted and for considering our input.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly hadn't thought about the privacy issue. I don't want to speak for the admins and sign them up for extra work, but perhaps we can have a system similar to the anonymous donation one, where you can keep your VIP status hidden. It's a good suggestion anyway.

As for a feeling of entitlement, I think that anybody who feels entitled or superior based on a star after their name on the site might be a bit full of themselves anyway. I don't think that having or not having stars will make a difference in that case. I'm also not able to think of any "historical association with labeling folks with stars". Could you point me in the right direction, either here or via PM if you prefer?

jeff
sdg
Brazil Pesadelo VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 19747

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Pesadelo's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

alien_avatar wrote:
The star makes me think of rated albums... and all we got was one!?

Good semiotics point, alien. Signs carry its own meanings. I agree with you.

SiriusCreations wrote:
Or what about a nice tiny filmstrip or movie clapper board

I had thougth the same, Sirius.
Ensign

Member#: 3962

unpoedic is offline View user's profile Send private message View unpoedic's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
I'm also not able to think of any "historical association with labeling folks with stars". Could you point me in the right direction, either here or via PM if you prefer?

perhaps zirael references the holocaust of wwii.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

zirael wrote:
...the stars just make it easier to accept other types of labeling that may occur,... it may give VIPs a feeling of entitlement that changes the way they treat non-VIPs.

I had a bad reaction to the stars partly .. because of the historical association with labeling folks with stars.

Shocked When I read this, my jaw dropped in shock. I really hesitate to even comment for fear of heaping even more dirt on this mountain from a molehill.

To somehow correlate the little VIP stars with the Yellow Stars the Nazis required Jews to wear is absolutely ludicrous! While I am keenly aware that many people have heightened sensitivity to that (or to the “labeling” and terrible treatment and injustice of Japanese-Americans during WWII), to somehow correlate those horrors to this situation is ridiculous.

Although I respect your right to voice your opinion, and encourage you to do so, in this case I feel it is way over the line. Sadly it gives our listeners false ideas and causes even more controversy where there is none.

The VIP status of every person online is already viewable simply by clicking on their name in the Online Now list - so the privacy issue does not apply in this case.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback. It’s good to read that the smaller, dimmer stars are more in line with what people like. The other suggestions of notes or clapperboards are good, too.

We appreciate all the new VIP members who have inquired in chat about the stars and have decided to support SST.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I can see how some folks might think that, but I'm a big history fan and particularly enjoy studying WWII history, and I didn't make the connection. I don't want to minimize anybody's feelings, but I doubt that many people made that connection. It certainly isn't the intent of the staff to belittle anybody, and I don't think anybody thinks that's what we're trying to do. We've decided to further recognize those folks who make a financial contribution to the site, and chose a graphic that we've been using for years to denote what people think of particular albums. Stars are very Hollywood and fit nicely with the site. Yellow is a natural choice to compliment the existing color scheme. They're traditional 5 point stars, not the 6 point Star of David. I'm certainly mortified at what was done to the Jewish people during the 20th century, and as a Christian have utmost respect for the chosen people of God, but I think we're stretching things here a bit too far, if that is even what the issue really is.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any comments, questions, or concerns that you don't want to post publicly.

jeff
sdg
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
OK, I can see how some folks might think that, but I'm a big history fan and particularly enjoy studying WWII history, and I didn't make the connection. I don't want to minimize anybody's feelings, but I doubt that many people made that connection. It certainly isn't the intent of the staff to belittle anybody, and I don't think anybody thinks that's what we're trying to do. We've decided to further recognize those folks who make a financial contribution to the site, and chose a graphic that we've been using for years to denote what people think of particular albums. Stars are very Hollywood and fit nicely with the site. Yellow is a natural choice to compliment the existing color scheme. They're traditional 5 point stars, not the 6 point Star of David. I'm certainly mortified at what was done to the Jewish people during the 20th century, and as a Christian have utmost respect for the chosen people of God, but I think we're stretching things here a bit too far, if that is even what the issue really is.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any comments, questions, or concerns that you don't want to post publicly.

jeff
sdg

I didn't make the connection either. I may be one of the few, but I still like the idea of the stars. I also agree with Two in that it seems this has become a mountain from a molehill. How many of you can say that if there were stars next to the names of members when you were first introduced to Streaming Soundtracks.com you would have avoided the station and labeled it as insensitive? I believe if the stars would have been there from the beginning, most of you would not have cared or been so sensitive about it at all. I respect you guys and I value your opinions. I am in no way sanctioning any of the events in WWII. I'm simply saying that I don't think little yellow stars by VIP's names are really that big of a deal. Like j2 said, they're not the star of David... I apologize if I have unintentionally offended anyone. Remember, the mods/admins and JERIC have the stations' best interest in mind. They're trying very hard to keep this wonderful station and it's community in operation so we can be here to enjoy it.
Admiral (Administrator)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
the Yellow Stars the Nazis required Jews to wear

Maybe I'm not getting right what Twopop said, but I think those stars from WWII were not yellow and as j2 pointed out they had different shape from SST's stars.

I understand that labeling folks with stars can cause bad reaction but I think we shoudn't go to far with it. For example, I'm a soldier and I wear uniform labelled with stars but I don't correlate this with that historical bad example of labelling people.
Nevertheless, I think we can always consider changing VIP star to some different sign if stars are causing controversy. In fact I would be happy if we had something closer to DFM's RIP sign concept, and it's not because that historical aspect we are talking about now.

USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, all that I meant is that the star is an ambiguous symbol that has both positive associations, which I knew the admins were intending (Hollywood Walk of Fame, military stars, gold star awards for employee of the month or donors, etc.) and negative associations which flickered through my mind due to its use on a list of members and the brightness of the yellow stars, even though they are a different shape of star.

Perhaps I'm more sensitive to this than others due to my personal history and experience as a Japanese American and so I made the connection. If the stars were a different color, I probably would not have had this negative association, and so I was just stating my preference for another symbol that communicated more clearly the VIP status. Molossus' suggestion about using a small VIP sign was a good one or changing the color (for instance, Adagio.FM's stars are orange-ish and 1980s.FM stars are light blue).
BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you could have something related to the site for the VIP icons.

Death.FM has a cool RIP tombstone.

SST could have a film strip

Adagio could have a music symbol

Entranced could have a spiralling vortex (in a trance)
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

BhelPuri wrote:
Perhaps you could have something related to the site for the VIP icons.

Entranced could have a spiralling vortex (in a trance)

aaaaoh i feel dizzy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: