StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Why release limited editions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:45 am   Post subject: Why release limited editions? Reply with quote

This is a genuine question rather than a complaint. I just wondered why labels like Intrada release limited editions of soundtracks when demand for them is so high?

I'd understand it for lesser well known scores or those that take a month or so for stock to sell. But scores like the recent Baby by Jerry Goldsmith had sold out within two days! So surely demand would have continued and it wouldn't have been a waste of money to print more copies. I'd understand it more if they then released the same CD a year or so later like Disney release their DVDs.

Any one know?
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can't speak from experience, but I know that it has to do with several factors including trying to estimate supply and demand ahead of time, costs associated with releasing a score, certain limitations based on contractual agreements etc.

Many times if you produce more than a certain amount of copies your fees started to go up a substantial amount as you have to pay higher re-use fees.

That is a quick response for you, but I am sure there are some other people who could add some additional insight and possibly some actual factual information. If I get a chance I can tried to provide some facts as well, but I think with my response you get an idea. Basically the costs associated with a release are one of the major concerns.
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you take the re-issue of Inchon as an example. They could have produced additional units over the 1,500 copies without any additional fees other than production costs, but they felt with a prior release already circulating that there wasn't enough demand for any more than 1,500 copies. Well they turned out to be very wrong in that assumption even though they were trying to make sure they didn't get stuck with tons of inventory that they couldn't move.

It turned out to be a big fiasco....

Also, they use the limited edition as a marketing ploy. By advertising it as limited people are quicker to make a purchase on the chance that it sells out and they would never hear it.
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Nate. I hadn't thought about the fees for higher numbers of copies of copies particularly or the re-use fee but as you said in your second post sometimes there is far more demand than the numbers made.

I guess I can see that a frenzy of speculation and excitement is created when a limited edition is announced but it still seems to me that they could sell far more copies.

The one I didn't mention in my post was the Ebay crowd who snap up these limited edition CDs and then sell them for at least double the price. Cynical and grossly unfair for those of us who are genuinely interested in buying the occasional special CD.

I don't know, having said I wasn't complaining I guess I am now.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't the same thing at all, I understand, but this is one reason I'm happy about legit digital music sales from outfits like Amazon. There are an unlimited number of copies available, so no one is disappointed and no one can scalp them. Plus, this means it takes no more effort to release a rare soundtrack (or an import, or what have you) than a current pop smash, so you can find the dangdest things online. That's how I got my German copy of Aida, and Amazon sells the Anniversary Concert of Tanz der Vampire. How else would I get those?
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
I got my German copy of Aida

Really? Have you checked out Adagio.FM, Lady? It would be great to chat with you over there.

"And now back to our regularly schedule topic" Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: