StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$154.46

3 Donations:
$345.54

StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-5) Shru $50.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-3) Anonymous $50.00
Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Favourite retro game music?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:36 am   Post subject: Favourite retro game music? Reply with quote

Inspired by Genpoints thread I wondered what game music you guys like from retro gaming platforms. I mean pre-playstation days here. Let's so from the SNES back in time.

I used to have a ZX spectrum and I thought there were some great little themes to those games despite being dreadful sound compared to, well, real instruments.
Anyway here were some of the games I loved the music to: Nether Earth, Colony and Shadow Fire.

On the SNES I loved the opening music to Yoshi's Island!

Any one else fancy a venture into this topic area? Any one else here old enough to remember a ZX Spectrum?

Any chance of some of these old soundtracks making it onto the playlist Jeric Wink (I am sooooooooooo joking!)
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

SNES Final Fantasy IV and VI (2 and 3 in US). Some of the best game music I've ever heard. The instrumentation was right on and the composition was fantastic and really helped you feel the events in the game.

Megaman 1-3 on the NES had great music with themes that would stick with you. Smile

Streetfighter 2 (multi-platform) also had unforgettable themes. They tried to emulate the music of the fighter's country of origin but still kept the beat fast to encourage the excitement.

Super Mario Bros. 1-3 and Super Mario World (NES and SNES respectively). Who doesn't remember the themes from these games? Even my kids (now 4, 6, 7) recognize and even sing the melodies from these games!

LunAr: The Silver Star and LunAr: Eternal Blue. (Sega CD then Playstation re-release). This was a game about the power of love and music. There were songs on this game that had singing and the melodies were great.

(btw mellowman, LunAr: Eternal Blue's soundtrack is part of SST Razz )

Panzer Dragoon (Sega Saturn) had very unique instrumentation that complimented the very alien world it takes place in. Also a great listen.

(oh mellowman, this one is at SST also Very Happy but it is around Playstation times)

There are more but I need to think about it. Smile

I guess I should admit that I have most NES games' soundtracks (chiptunes) and all of the ones I've just mentioned. Smile
Captain

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of another two!!

The game is "Secret of Evermore" for the SNES. This game was done by Jeremy Soule. The melodies were very mysterious and were a pleasure to listen too.

This soundtrack is a part of SST. Yep... a SNES game in SST. Wink

Chrono Trigger (for the SNES) had an extremely diverse soundtrack with everything from classical themes, to jazz themes, to spanish inspired themes. Huge variety of songs you could literally sit an listen to.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 12138

Raygi is offline View user's profile Send private message View Raygi's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz the Jackrabbit I - still listening the whole music rip. Maybe not pure retro...

Final Fantasy VI had also nice songs like the opera "Aria di Mezzo Carratere" or "Terra theme".

And Turiccan main tiltle rocks.
Captain

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally odd topic but I love your sig, Raygi: "Music is what feelings sound like." What a lovely sentiment. Where is it from?
France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I played video games a lot when I was younger - mainly on my amstrad CPC (won't mean a thing for you US guys Smile) and a bit on arcade machines too!

My favorites would be, in no particular order, Space Harrier, Out Run "Passing Breeze", Barbarian (which music heavily borrows from Poledouris)... And many more Smile
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck is an Amstrad CPC??? Smile
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

weaponlordzero wrote:
What the heck is an Amstrad CPC??? Smile

Laughing Here is an Amstrad CPC, bless it.

And while we are at it here is the delightful ZX Spectrum complete with rubber keys that, if you pulled hard enough, would come right out of their sockets. Weird, weird, weird to type on.

Thanks for posting, alchy, it's good to know there are other people that remember music from these classic games. I had Outrun for the Spectrum - the Spectrum version of the arcade music from Outrun was interesting but the original tape (that's right, games came on TAPES back then!) had all the arcade music on it too. Cool!
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I've been listening to original NES megaman music lately. Smile Two is probably my fav, followed closely by three.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: