StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Poll time: Bandwidth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Caliburn

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 3:27 am   Post subject: Poll time: Bandwidth Reply with quote

Time to put me senior membership to use [Big Grin]

I am wondering to what kind of bandwidth is appreciated to listen to. I know that everyone likes to listen to 128k and that 24k is very poor quality. Listening to 128k is not always possible, due to ISP problems, like I have when I am at home.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 2:24 am   Post subject: Poll time: Bandwidth Reply with quote

lol, seems like the poll is a bit buggy. It shows that 100% are listening to 128k. What about the rest ?! [Wink]
USA T2
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 31
Location: Virginia - Some say a state of mind, not me mind you. ;)

T2 is offline View user's profile Send private message T2's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 11:00 pm   Post subject: Poll time: Bandwidth Reply with quote

one other thing to concider.. what about different sample rates?!!?

see.. the back side to this.. is the media creation tool, Shoutcast...

IF shoutcast offered a stream that was 32k rather than 44.1k, you could offer a decent quality sound, at decent bit rates, and fit more listeners into the stream bandwidth!

128,000 X 10 listeners = 1.2 million bits
very close to 1 T1 worth of bandwidth

80,000 x 15 listeners = 1.2 million bits

Same over all bandwidth, but 5 additional listeners!!

Anyone that hasn't tried playing with bit rates really should.. you don't get the high end of the audio spectrum using 32k sampling, but you CAN fit 32k w/80k bit delivery and have a "still better than FM" sound!

(fm frequency maximum is usually 15k, where as an mp3 @ 32k is maxed at 16k, with human hearing maxing at 22k - uh 20k for avg people some of us have been rated at 22k! thank you very much! [Big Grin] )
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 81

PurpleRen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website PurpleRen's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 3:14 am   Post subject: Poll time: Bandwidth Reply with quote

Thats funny, the poll said I already voted...LoL But I didn't...hmmm...oh well...

I like the 128k stream...its great...
When the 128k is full and I go onto 24k, the music is kind of lagging behind from the "currently playing" on the Streaming Soundtrack site, which is kind of junk, cause I don't know what's playing...I feel left behind...

But if other streams that were in between, that might work, I think...

Also, if more bandwidth for a T1, well hey, thats great too... [Razz]

What does this mean?----> [Roll Eyes] <-------I was wondering...
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 5:19 am   Post subject: Poll time: Bandwidth Reply with quote

As I see it most everyone has been selecting 128k. This is all well and good but not realistic. Would be nice if we could all have it but it is not always a good idea. If you are on a dial up connection then the slower streams are right for you. Otherwise you encounter a buffe overrun and the song starts to skip of you are constantly "buffering". Not good either way. I do, however think that 28k is too slow as most people have a 56k modem. If you have a broadband connection the sure 128 is perfect but on a dialup you need that slower connection. If the current song displayed is not playing yet you get over it. That would be alieviated, somewhat, by a 56k stream but will still be there. those are my thoughts on this matter for what they are worth.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 8

solkef is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail solkef's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 9:52 am   Post subject: Poll time: Bandwidth Reply with quote

hum... wait until we get the 96 khz at 24 bite quality for the audio... then you will see a real diference in the sound [Smile]
until then, 24 or 128 isint to bad [Smile]

Guy
Ensign

Member#: 31
Location: Virginia - Some say a state of mind, not me mind you. ;)

T2 is offline View user's profile Send private message T2's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 3:25 am   Post subject: Poll time: Bandwidth Reply with quote

True Guy.. but.. if you had the choice of getting an additional 3 to 4 users in for every 10 now.. that would mean J & SST would be able to fit 48 listeners at 96k, which also allows ISDN users (ahem) to get a good quality sounding stream, in the same bandwidth that currently only serves 36 listners! (36 @ 128k == 4,608,000 == 48 @ 96k)

But again.. this would only be possible if the stream were resampled and played via file buffered relay (if that exists) OR shoutcast/winamp would need to modify their codec to allow for it.

[Smile]
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: