StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Add: Forbidden Planet - Louis & Bebe Baron
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Should Forbidden Planet be added?
Please add these tracks.
58%
 58%  [ 14 ]
Use the CD as a Frisbee.
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 24

UK AkuAku
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 21858

AkuAku is offline View user's profile Send private message AkuAku's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:24 am   Post subject: Add: Forbidden Planet - Louis & Bebe Baron Reply with quote

Read Amazon.com Customer Reviews:-
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000059UG/24fmll-20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Planet

Gene Roddenberry noted in his biography that Forbidden Planet was one of the inspirations for Star Trek.
So without this film, Star Trek would probably not exist.

I am not asking JERIC to purchase these tracks, he has the OST already, he just did not like the tracks.

The Forbidden Planet is a soundtrack that any site should be proud to have on its playlist.
Some listeners response will be WOW!, and others will want that and other Trek tracks removed.

Soundtracks are essentially ambient, but can include tracks that go well beyond being simply an ambient.

If I was responsible for the tracks that where on SST’s playlist, should I remove half of the present tracks because I deemed them to be poor quality.
The truth of the matter is that what is good or bad is very subjective, and what I think of as poor quality may be considered great by others.
It comes down to a matter of choice. If SST doesn’t have it, you can’t request it.
At the end of the day, if soundtrack is rubbish, it will not get requested too often.

Also consider that Amazon its not in the business of selling rubbish.

Last edited by AkuAku on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:25 am; edited 3 times in total
USA Soundbite
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 21964

Soundbite is offline View user's profile Send private message View Soundbite's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:42 pm   Post subject: Forbiden Planet Reply with quote

Sure, Anything for a fellow Treky.
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in. But I liked the second choice... lol, too funny!
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 14160

diginferno is offline View user's profile Send private message View diginferno's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Frisbee. What's so special about this soundtrack? Is it worthy to sit among the great SST collection? Just because I liked the movie, it doesn't mean I also like the soundtrack. Evil or Very Mad
USA rich808
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 17997

rich808 is offline View user's profile Send private message View rich808's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

checked out the sample on amazon. im not feeling this st. just a bunch of weird ambient noises, kind of like sound effects. might be good to get for other reasons but not to sit down and listen. sorry dude, i disapprove Sad
USA PeteC VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 3796

PeteC is offline View user's profile Send private message View PeteC's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get it for the station
but I have to defer to
Jeric - should he think
it not the best.
good as good. Herein lies evil.
paulw
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 14314

paulw is offline View user's profile Send private message paulw's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

FRizzby. The music was great in the movie but I can't stand the CD. Worst score I ever bought..

Paul W
Finland GalFin
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16241

GalFin is offline View user's profile Send private message View GalFin's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the music is challenging and will not become very popular but it has also value, I think. At least historical and curiosity value as an example of electronic music in films. I voted yes but I'm willing to let JERIC decide in the end. This ST is obviously not "easy listening"...
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if we were looking for "easy listening," GalFin, we wouldn't have added half of The Dark Knight.

I've listened to some of the samples from the CD. Probably not enough to appreciate its value, which I believe it has, but enough to think that it might not be appropriate for this station.

Although I do hate to render an aesthetic judgement after reading Pete's signature, I think this CD is better left out of the playlist.
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll vote Yes and I will tell you why.....

Anytime a thread is brought up regarding the removal of soundtrack or song often the point brought up in support of keeping it is 'somebody MAY like it'. Well it would seem that same logic should apply to stuff being added as well, so I voted yes because 'someone MAY like it'.
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, I think I may just have this cd from a bulk cd purchase I made at one point and would be more than happy to contribute the cd to the site as well.....if I can find it Laughing
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

natedogg_23 wrote:
I'll vote Yes and I will tell you why.....

Anytime a thread is brought up regarding the removal of soundtrack or song often the point brought up in support of keeping it is 'somebody MAY like it'. Well it would seem that same logic should apply to stuff being added as well, so I voted yes because 'someone MAY like it'.

Well, foot, then we don't really need to vote on anything, by that logic. I see your point, but I think that's too broad a net. Just because someone may like it doesn't mean it needs to be here. Haven't tracks been removed before? I'm not sure it was the case that someone didn't like it. Purple Rain, for instance. I liked that ST. Disappointed that it's gone, but I can see why.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple rain was moved to 1980s, so it's not quite apples and oranges.

jeff
sdg
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It is if you don't listen to 1980s. Or do you mean that I am comparing apples to oranges?

Forbidden Planet may work in the film, it may have historical significance. But outside of context, it sounds like noise. It's readily available for purchase (at least electronically), so I don't think we need to add it to the library as a service to posterity.

Member#: 299

Saffron is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Saffron's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no.

One main theme running throughout all the scores on this station is that they are fundamentally symphonic in nature. This soundtrack is strictly electronic space avant-garde. Heavy emphasis on the space avant-garde because electronic music is here at SST but as synthesized orchestral music not as bleeps and sound effects.
I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music. - George Elliot
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: