StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$154.46

3 Donations:
$345.54

StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-5) Shru $50.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-3) Anonymous $50.00
Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Arya's Deer Hunt Log

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Canada Arya
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8715

Arya is offline View user's profile Send private message View Arya's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:50 am   Post subject: Arya's Deer Hunt Log Reply with quote

Because I know several people have asked to be kept posted on my deer hunting adventures at home this week, I decided to post here in the forums. I won't really have much time to chat from here on in. If you don't support hunting or would rather not read about a country girl deer hunting with her Dad, I suggest you ignore these posts. There may be details or pictures that would make you uncomfortable Smile

Dad and I woke up at 5 am to go out to one of the local marshes for a pre-dawn sit out in a stand of hardwood forest. Unfortunately it was pouring rain by the time we got all our gear ready...a light rain is nothing major to sit through, but an icy November downpour is no fun. So we changed tactics and waited until the rain cleared out at 9 am and went to the same marsh to push the deer instead of sitting on their trails. We made three passes through different sections of marsh. I flushed four ruffed grouse (we had hunted grouse there on Saturday and seen nothing...the minute we load for deer, grouse everywhere!). I thought about switching to birdshot and being happy with a grouse dinner near the end of the run, but I carry a Remington pump, nothing like the loud, carrying click-clack! of a shotgun action to scare birds away. So I kept fighting my way through thick cover parallel to my Dad, managing to corner 3-4 coyotes and finding several dry deer beds, but nothing else.

We decided to try a spot where I had stalked a 13-point buck years ago, but the entrance to that marsh was clogged with trucks and cars, obviously another gang was in there already. Across the road from them, however, were three bucks, two of which had very, very nice sets of antlers Very Happy

We knew an access road running the other side of the private field they were standing in, so we stood there on the far side of a high bank waiting and hoping they would cross us. Unfortunately there were many hunters coming and going along that same access road, so it was unlikely the bucks would ever come our way.

So I'm home for a quick shower, an appointment in town, and then I'll be back out in the marsh tonight. Hopefully one of those big boys will drop by to say hello Wink
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8715

Arya is offline View user's profile Send private message View Arya's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, afternoon hunt is done and still no deer. We did the same push as we did in the morning, and by the looks of the tracks I was running into we were just behind a buck. He was making a scrape on one of the smaller oaks...not too big judging from that, but then I'd be happy with anything Razz

No surprise critters this evening either. Good news is that my prof offered to move my test date from tomorrow morning to Friday morning, so I get one more hunt! This one will be a pre-dawn sit, the kind I'm best at. One of those old bucks needs to come pay me a visit at Mother Oak...or a doe or fawn, doesn't matter to me!

But I still have a test tomorrow night, so I best be off to study.
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 21964

Soundbite is offline View user's profile Send private message View Soundbite's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very informative Arya! You sound like you work for ESPN Outdoors! I hope your luck will change and you get to go home with something, preferably a trophy size! Anyways, thanks for the thread.
Good luck!
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A chick with a hunting rifle. Always makes a man think twice. Oh no Did i forget something or man she looks cute.
Wink
Cadet 4

Member#: 20265

FabMartha is offline View user's profile Send private message View FabMartha's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundbite wrote:
...You sound like you work for ESPN Outdoors!
Good luck!

Laughing

mmmm, venison....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: