StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$154.46

3 Donations:
$345.54

StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-5) Shru $50.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-3) Anonymous $50.00
Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (Image Album) by Joe Hisaishi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Added
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Do you want this CD to be added to the playlist?
Sure. HFC!
78%
 78%  [ 15 ]
Yes, but vocal free. (also known as RR compliant)
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
No, thanks. One album is enough.
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 19

France Alchemist VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:32 am   Post subject: Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (Image Album) by Joe Hisaishi Reply with quote

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (Image Album)
Joe Hisaishi

More Ponyo? We already have the regular soundtrack . This is a different CD which features themes inspired by "images" from the film's storyboard. It was composed before the film was complete. Some themes are reused in the final soundtrack, but there are no duplicates.

You can find a very complete review on Ghibli's world. Looks like the author knows what he is writing about!

Tracklisting

1. Gake no Ue no Ponyo ~ Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
2. Sango Tou ~ The Coral Tower
3. Ponyo Kitaru ~ Ponyo Arrives
4. Umi to Okaasan ~ Mother of the Sea
5. Imouto Tachi ~ Younger Sisters
6. Fujimoto no Theme ~ Fujimoto's Theme
7. Hakkou Shingou ~ Flashing Signal
8. Ponyo no Komoriuta ~ Ponyo's Lullaby
9. Hontou no Kimochi ~ True Feelings
10. Himawari no Ie no Rondo ~ Sunflower House Rondo

Comments

There are many songs in this album, which you might like... or not Smile

1. Japanese song. If you don't like Totoro's song, this one is clearly not for you!
2. Opening (and maybe main) theme. Sounds a bit like Howl's Moving Castle "Boy".
3. Piano track. A bit reminiscent of "Le mecano de la General".
4. Beautiful track featuring piano and cello. My favorite track.
5. Vocal track. Same remark as 1.
6. Vocal track. Accordion. Same remark as 1.
7. Another beautiful track. 2nd favorite.
8. Vocal track. Sung by a child. Same remark Wink
9. Yet another vocal track. A nostalgic one. Quite enjoyable!
10. Ending song. Style is quite reminiscent of Howl's ending song, very nice.

Please let me know if I should send it be added to the playlist, or not, and with songs, or not. Of course, the decision belongs ultimately to JERIC!
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted
Finland GalFin
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16241

GalFin is offline View user's profile Send private message View GalFin's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please! And with vocals also. I love sometimes funny but usually pretty Hisaishi songs.
Denmark WisionDK
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 23176

WisionDK is offline View user's profile Send private message View WisionDK's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please, I would love to hear it! Very Happy
Japan Pridelander
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 17586

Pridelander is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Pridelander's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Yes, of course. If Howl's Image Album is accepted, why not Ponyo's?

I don't have this album yet, but I heard some songs on Hisaishi's concert video. Sunflower House Rondo is very beautiful song, with very touching lyrics (sung by Hisaishi's daughter). So I hope vocals will be added as well as instrumentals.

By the way, the first song is the longer version of the last track of Soundtrack Album. It's probably the most played song of the last year on Japanese TV, radio, theaters, shopping center, etc. It'll be stuck in your head for sure! Very Happy

My website: http://sites.google.com/site/miyabirding/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/MiyaBirding
TLKFC!: http://tinyurl.com/TLKFC
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this appears NOT to be another album of piano arrangements by Hisaishi, I vote a tentative yes.

Don't jump all over me, but as nice as Hisaishi's music is, SST already has track after track consisting of his plinking out melodies on the piano, and they all begin to sound the same. I'm not sure I could take much more.

The reason for being tentative is that I wonder how different these tracks are from the official soundtrack. You would know, Alchemist. Do they differ substantially?

Mr. Green
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 21964

Soundbite is offline View user's profile Send private message View Soundbite's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! HFC!
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther_III wrote:
The reason for being tentative is that I wonder how different these tracks are from the official soundtrack. You would know, Alchemist. Do they differ substantially?

They differ, of course: some themes on the image album were not kept for the final album, some others are there but orchestrated differently. Some are songs!

This album is really an extension to the existing one, like if you would get 10 more tracks on a soundtrack.

Hope it helps Smile

And no, it's not "plinking on the piano" Laughing
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a review I found while looking for something completely different Wink

From http://www.moviemusicuk.us/ponyocd.htm

Quote:
The accompanying Image Album, released separately on the same Tokuma Japan Communications label, features a couple of additional score tracks and several original songs from the film also written by Hisaishi which, surprisingly, are just as good as the score itself.

I defy anyone not to have the insanely catchy "Ponyo on the Cliff" stuck in their head for days after hearing it, especially the cute child-like chorus sung by five-year-old actress Nozomi Ohashi.

The variation of the longing "Mother of the Sea" theme from the score features a violin solo by Yasushi Toroshima that is spectacularly beautiful, while the conclusive "Rondo of the House of Sunflowers" features a sweet, intimate vocal performance by Hisaishi's daughter, singer Mai Fujisawa, that melts the heart.

Even if you don't speak Japanese, I would unequivocally recommend picking up this companion piece, as it complements the score album superbly.
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard any of the actual album that is here on SST, but I have read good things about it. I have never become a huge Hisaishi fan because a lot of his stuff seems to sound very similiar, but I haven't really delved into his stuff a ton either (maybe one day I will).

To remain consistent with how I always vote LOL, I voted that I think it would be great to have the additional instrumental tracks, but I have no interest in the vocal tracks being added.
Ensign

Member#: 24672

hazz is offline View user's profile Send private message View hazz's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

hfc. i love joe hisaishi
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

hazz wrote:
hfc. i love joe hisaishi

Hello hazz, welcome to SST and to the forums

And as Hisaishi Fan, look at this thread and join Very Happy
UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sorry. hisaishi is my god but i can't stand image albums. to me they are embaressing and make the music more cheesy so to speak.

i would rather have the community money spent on another hisaishi album we dont have. i'm sure there are Ponyo tracks on some live albums that i can link to you later.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your feedback thejoyrider!

I agree that earlier Image Albums were quite drafts of the actual soundtracks. I do not own any of these.

However, it changed with Howl's Moving Castle. This Image album is a jewel; it is actually better than the regular soundtrack imho.

In our case, Ponyo's Image Album is really complimentary to the album we've here on SST. It does feature a lot of songs (and I can understand they can be irritating if you do not like japanese songs or songs in general) but it is really good.

I also agree SST doesn't have to spend money on this. But maybe some member with a funny avatar will do Wink
UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Alchemist wrote:
Thank you for your feedback thejoyrider!

I agree that earlier Image Albums were quite drafts of the actual soundtracks. I do not own any of these.

However, it changed with Howl's Moving Castle. This Image album is a jewel; it is actually better than the regular soundtrack imho.

In our case, Ponyo's Image Album is really complimentary to the album we've here on SST. It does feature a lot of songs (and I can understand they can be irritating if you do not like japanese songs or songs in general) but it is really good.

I also agree SST doesn't have to spend money on this. But maybe some member with a funny avatar will do Wink

howls moving castle, naussica and princess mononoke image albums are totally justified as they have legit real scores not featured in the main album. and tbh, some of those were the better tracks.

ie. the main theme in nausicca, cave of mind in howl's moving castle and ashitaka to san from mononoke all being exlcusive tracks to their image albums. legit real scores. the extended versions to their soundtracks so to speak.

but the spirited away image album was just embaressing to listen to. if you believe that ponyo's image album is legit with real scores and not japanese sing songs, you have my full support.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Added All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: