StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

New "United" Donation Meter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:57 am   Post subject: New "United" Donation Meter Reply with quote

So, I noticed the new donations meter. Maybe I missed it in the forums, but would someone please tell us the story behind it?

Edit by Alchemist: created new thread. I hope you don't mind, LadyInque!
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

No you did not missed it in any forum LadyInque. It has been implemented last weekend.
I would let JERIC or another admin explain the real story, because it was a surprise for me too this weekend. Wink
BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SiriusCreations wrote:
No you did not missed it in any forum LadyInque. It has been implemented last weekend.
I would let JERIC or another admin explain the real story, because it was a surprise for me too this weekend. Wink

I'm not sure what to think of this merging of donation meters. Think about members in the smaller stations. Seeing such a huge goal for a small station is probably going to make them wonder why it's so expensive. And I'm not sure if they'll want to chip in $$ for other (larger) stations.

I think that SST's goal is the largest and the toughest to meet. I wouldn't think it fair to have SST's bills paid by other station members.

I would rather have the stations manage their donations separately. Of course, in the end each station consumes bandwidth and needs web server costs but perhaps that could be split into proportionate costs.
USA JadedTitan VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 19134

JadedTitan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View JadedTitan's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree BP, it makes it hard to understand what SST needs if everything is merged. I liked it at first, but now i think it would be more helpful if it was back the way it had been and you could tell each station apart. Seems like a lot bigger sum just for SST when it really isnt....but maybe the admins are just trying something out.
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Joining this interesting discussion about the meter I'd like to add my "dwa grosze" ("two cents").

I like new (big) donation meter. But I also think that BP and Jaded have given us good remarks. I agree that now it is hard to figure out how much every single station needs.

My idea is to find a kind of the "third way" and I think there is a place for it at the very bottom of donation meter section.

Down there we've got a little icons and numbers showing us how much income there was for each station.

I think, maybe we could have five little donation meters it that place instead, showing a monthly target for each station (in numbers) and the actual income for each of them. That way we could keep the big donation meter above too.

And I think that such little donation meters for each station should be seen without a need of clicking "Show/Hide further donators" button.

That's what comes to my mind on this topic. I hope it's not too complicated Wink

Greetings for the crew. Thanks for your good work!

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA BuyerQueen
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 89

BuyerQueen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View BuyerQueen's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The donation meters were merged because the goal is a 24seven.fm goal. All of our monthly expenses are together under 24seven, they are not broken out by what each station uses in bandwith, etc..

The amount of money was actually lowered to $800. It used to be $500 for SST, $80 for 80s, $166.66 for DFM and then EFM and AFM had their own goals.

You should donate what you wish to contribute and what you can afford, not what the donation meter needs. It's a collaborative effort from all of our members. And we appreciate every dollar!

Our ultimate goal is to get rid of the meter all together, we don't enjoy surviving on donations, we would like our VIP & RIP subscription and our google ads and amazon commissions to be able to pay for everything, but we just aren't there right now.

We always value your comments and feedback, but JERIC made the decision on the donation meter, and this is the way it's going to stay for now.

BQ
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of keeping a running tally of each station's giving. A little friendly competition might be good for everybody.

jeff
sgd
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BQ for your answer.

BuyerQueen wrote:
All of our monthly expenses are together under 24seven, they are not broken out by what each station uses in bandwith, etc..

I think it is quite obvious what you said here BQ, but "24seven.FM % Donated" part of donation meter box looks like a hint that we still have some kind of traget for every station (or maybe I don't understand that part good enough). So maybe we could make this info (I mean "24seven.FM % Donated" thing) more clear for users. Why not to give users an info about a targets in numbers (in any way) next to current percentage info?

Quote:
Our ultimate goal is to get rid of the meter all together

800 USD a month means - for example - around 160 VIPs a month. 24seven.FM enjoys the presence of 338 VIPs at the moment, so we are talking about at least 50% increase here. Some way to go. But I hope we'll get there someday! Smile

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think the combined meter is okay. The 80s.fm logo needs to be made smaller, 'cause right now it's huge, but other than that, it's cool, especially if the umbrella site is what's managing the bills, not individual stations. I think that having one donation meter, and one place for donations, may make reaching the goal a bit easier. Individual donation meters is a little too Hogwarts House Cup for me, especially since many of the stations have smaller memberships.
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's good. It also brings together all the other stations for those who didn't know they were all affiliated together.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: