StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Skipping of songs

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:51 am   Post subject: Skipping of songs Reply with quote

Well it appears to be back again. The computer skipped two songs within a couple of hours, including my pick [Roll Eyes]

What is wrong?
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:54 am   Post subject: Skipping of songs Reply with quote

It's baaaaaack!

Well, yes I am using the old crossfader. I was hoping they fixed this bug with their newest version. I am going to try my hardest to correct this problem but for now, let's just go through the Pros & Cons.

Pros:
- Song transistions sound so much better. With the other output I was using, songs were ending abruptly. To me, that is more frusterating than the entire song being skipped. It sounds a lot more professional this way.
- I am able to use a normalizer now. It is on right now. You probably can't tell but what it does is keep the volume of the stream leveled. So that one minute it's practically impossible to hear then the next song blares.
- No gaps between songs. Every second counts here on StreamingSoundtracks.com. [Big Grin]
- When the tracks crossfade, it prevents stream rippers from getting whole songs as if they came right off a CD. I'd like to think I am pissing off people who are ripping the stream for the sake of not having to pay for the music. This way it can be considered recording the stream for later listening purposes rather than let's try to make internet radio into napster.
- I am able to truncate songs to whatever time period I desire. Right now songs are truncated to 10 minutes. This means even a 24 minute song will only play the first 10 minutes. I can turn this on/off easily and I'm considering turning it off at off-peak hours.
- With this in place I am going to try to keep requests at a minimum of 2 at all times. So even if it does skip on of your requests, you will still have 1 request that will play.

Cons:
- Skips approximately 10% of tracks.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
xiopher
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 191

xiopher is offline View user's profile Send private message xiopher's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:05 am   Post subject: Skipping of songs Reply with quote

I really enjoy this website and the new changes to the stream.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:32 am   Post subject: Skipping of songs Reply with quote

Thank you xiopher! And welcome to the forum.

USA Morg VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 57

Morg is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Morg's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:25 am   Post subject: Skipping of songs Reply with quote

I am going to remain neutral on this one [Smile]
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 116

esparvel is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website esparvel's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:20 pm   Post subject: Skipping of songs Reply with quote

At the beginning I thought it was a good idea. [Smile]
When I saw the queue with 25 requests I started changing my mind. [Roll Eyes]
With 54 songs in the queue I guess I prefer the old system, or at least reduce to 1 request per hour in the peak time, I guess that with 192 potential listeners and peaks of 48 visitors two requests per hour and potential listener or real visitor are too many. [Frown]

I still think the idea was good just people aren't ready for it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:07 am   Post subject: Skipping of songs Reply with quote

Well, today was a test. I still want to keep 2 songs, but I want to make the time variable instead of the number of request. On peak times I can make it 2 requests per 2 hours. How does that sound?

Pikachu
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 92

Pikachu is offline View user's profile Send private message Pikachu's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:25 am   Post subject: Skipping of songs Reply with quote

Why are you using crosfading?

it was mutch better before?

ps its bean awhile since i was on the net thats why this question
xiopher
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 191

xiopher is offline View user's profile Send private message xiopher's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 9:36 am   Post subject: Skipping of songs Reply with quote

I have some sugestions.
If you have people login to request you can track who is abusing the system. I have seen 3 from the same cd or more.
also it should be 2 per hour spaced every 30 minutes.
having a queie (sp?) isn't bad. it is bad to have to wait 30 minutes for your song to play.
what about points that you spend to give a song priority. you could spend 2 points on a song you really like or play two songs and spend 1 point on each.
it is kinda like a weighted average.

The points if I want to be able to play some songs in the day and I want to hear some good songs through the day.
JOhn-E
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 221

JOhn-E is offline View user's profile Send private message JOhn-E's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:19 pm   Post subject: Skipping of songs Reply with quote

Is the crossfader the reason that some songs play the first few seconds and then the next comes on? That has been rather annoying. However with your list of pros (all of which I agree with) it seems that stopping the use of the crossfader would not be better. Oh well. Its just really annoying when the 10% is the song one asks for but thats okay. And I think you should turn off the 10min timer thing during off-peak time... it sounds like a good idea for now... this way people can listen to a long song(all the way through) once in a while. (just hope they are good) [Smile]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:58 pm   Post subject: Skipping of songs Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback JOhn-E. The 10 minute limit is not on anymore.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: