StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

[Remove] Chess in Concert
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic 

What should we do with this album?
Keep it - "It's Where I Want [it] to Be"
39%
 39%  [ 11 ]
Lose it - It's "Someone Else's Story"
50%
 50%  [ 14 ]
Maybe I'm on "Nobody's Side"
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 28

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:16 am   Post subject: [Remove] Chess in Concert Reply with quote

I would like to argue that Chess in Concert be removed from the playlist. (I'm posting here because I didn't think the "Add" worksheet was really what I needed for this. Admins, feel free to move this topic.) While I do love the musical and enjoy the recording, I think it is inappropriate for StreamingSoundtracks.com.

First, and most importantly, this is not score. This is a recording of a live performance of the West End Musical by Benny Anderson, Bjorn Ulvaeus, and Tim Rice. The music is not part of any movie, nor featured in a movie. I think this would be far more appropriate at a station that does Broadway music, so if JERIC feels like creating one of those, then sure. I have requested tracks from the album since its adoption, and I find them jarringly out of place in the queue.

There are also a gazillion tracks. Okay, 43. Anyway, most of them don't make any sense out of the context of the musical. Some of them are kinda short, and some are really, really long.

And for those of you who hate vocal tracks, that's everything on the album. There are some great songs: "I Know Him So Well." "Nobody's Side." "Where I Want to Be." But they don't belong here.

You know me. I love musicals. I love Buffy, even. But this is not a movie, game, or TV show. Take some time to think it over before voting. Request a track or two, or listen to some samples here. I think you'll agree that it's an awesome album, but not really what we do here.
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As requested, moved to Request forum.
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque, I agree with you that the movie connection for Chess isn't really there, other than Josh Groban and Idina Menzel having songs on other soundtracks like A.I., Troy, Polar Express and Enchanted.

However, I suggest keeping it in the playlist for a promotional period of a few months since it was nicely donated and something that I'd like to hear and enjoy. Perhaps other folks who like Josh Groban's singing on soundtracks would concur. Wink
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm. The promotional period idea sounds like an interesting one. (Although it's not just Josh Groban and Idina Menzel, you know. Poor Adam Pascal gets no love.)

It was a nice donation, no question. Still don't think it belongs here permanently.
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4415

AK-Mal_Owner is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AK-Mal_Owner's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with LI here, I'm not sure that this work has a permanent home here. I think Zirael has a terrific idea there. Since the album was a donation, it would be a shame to simply eliminate it as soon as it was loaded, but having it play through a promotional period (what ever it may be) I think would be a great compromise.

Just out of curiosity, are there enough musical albums to start a musical/showtunes channel? Just a thought.

-tg/akm
UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard this yesterday and the track was just some awful joke songs like that weird al album we have. waste of time and ruins the flow of what SST is about.

whoever authorised this purchase / donation should have checked out the album before allowing it to be added by jeric.
Lieutenant Commander

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:43 am   Post subject: Re: [Remove] Chess in Concert Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:

You know me. I love musicals. I love Buffy, even.

that's acceptable cause thats the score to the actual episode. same with chicago, that's the score [even if i dont like it]
USA AK-Mal_Owner
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4415

AK-Mal_Owner is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AK-Mal_Owner's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That was kind of the point LI & I were trying to make. There are some that legitimitly (sp?) belong, like Buffy or Chicago and half of the Disney ones. Then there are the odd ball ones that don't seem to fit, there's at least one other that I can think of that fits that category *koff*Pink Floyd Symphonic*koff**koff*.

-tg/akm
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

thejoyrider wrote:
i heard this yesterday and the track was just some awful joke songs like that weird al album we have.

Okay, now my curiosity is piqued, because I can't think of a thing on that album that could be compared to Weird Al. What did you hear?
UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
thejoyrider wrote:
i heard this yesterday and the track was just some awful joke songs like that weird al album we have.

Okay, now my curiosity is piqued, because I can't think of a thing on that album that could be compared to Weird Al. What did you hear?

just the songs and spatula nonsense in general. nothing
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the album doesn't really belong here... but here's an idea: just leave it be. Wink

It's neither more nor less annoying than something out of a movie-musical, it'll probably get very little love once the newness factor has worn off, and it'll keep the nice donators happy, so maybe next time they'll offer something "better".
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

alien_avatar wrote:
I agree that the album doesn't really belong here... but here's an idea: just leave it be. Wink

It's neither more nor less annoying than something out of a movie-musical, it'll probably get very little love once the newness factor has worn off, and it'll keep the nice donators happy, so maybe next time they'll offer something "better".

i like your thinking. keep the album.
USA Ladylark
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 13749

Ladylark is offline View user's profile Send private message View Ladylark's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

About the only argument that could be made, and I will make it, is that this concert is featured quite regularly on PBS and it's great performances. Since we do have things on here that are concert versions of video games (including Video Game Live). In addition, we have albums on here that are "inspired by" things. I say we accept this. Doubly so since this was a donation.

Now I don't say we go accepting all broadway scores. But considering we haven't gotten Evita yet (and I offered to donate the film version) I say let it go.
Lieutenant

Member#: 18198

ld80061 is offline View user's profile Send private message View ld80061's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:41 pm   Post subject: Re: [Remove] Chess in Concert Reply with quote

I support removing this soundtrack. Just to highlight the parts of her intro post I most strongly support:

LadyInque wrote:

First, and most importantly, this is not [a] score... I find them jarringly out of place in the queue.

There are also a gazillion tracks. Okay, 43. Anyway, most of them don't make any sense out of the context of the musical. Some of them are kinda short, and some are really, really long.

I can comfortably tolerate leaving the tracks in place if it would encourage donations, or as an experiment. But as the situation stands, I would rather remove the CD. (Or, if possible, find it a new home in another of JERIC's websites.)
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the bump, ld. I don't think we should accept CDs that don't work just because they were donations. Look, I'm a professor. I get a great many books for free because publishers hope I'll use them. I feel no obligation to do so, or to hold on to a book I don't find useful or interesting. It doesn't cost them much, I'm sure, and I'm sure it doesn't cost labels much to send us CDs. I don't think we need to worry about hurting feelings or losing future donations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: