StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The future of soundtracks - digital download only???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA AdamR
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 26242

AdamR is offline View user's profile Send private message View AdamR's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:17 am   Post subject: The future of soundtracks - digital download only??? Reply with quote

I saw no topics about this as I've gone way back in SST yesteryear to see what I wanted to reply to.

Disney/Pixar's recent release of "Up" has a soundtrack, but Disney has chosen to release the album as digital downloads only and there is no physical cd release of the album (and that's likely why its not on SST according to SST policy).

Is this the future of soundtrack music? I don't think it is, but its a studio's first attempt to see what consumers are thinking about the idea. If I really really enjoy a soundtrack, I will search far and wide if I have to, to get a physical cd copy because to me, that means I have something to hold and read over, and say to others "I liked this movie so much I must have the music in all its glory!" That kind of reaction and feeling doesn't come from digital downloads. Another thing, I want full-cd quality despite not being able to hear the difference (find me someone who can at high-lossy bitrates). If you pay for it, you want it all there.

So what are other's opinions on this new marketing idea in the soundtrack world?
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not good at forecasting a future.
All I can say is I like buying physical releases. I hope I will be able to do so in the future.

BTW: I think "Up" is available at SST. Here: http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/modules.php?name=Album&asin=B002A4ZN1A

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Yogi Berra say, "It's tough to make predictions about anything, especially the future."

I see a future where the concept of owning anything media-related is gone. Instead, there will be access to vast "on-demand" libraries, via a subscription service. You will thus own everything and nothing at the same time. There will be no need to have a personal copy, because it will be there for the asking whenever you like.

That said, I like my CDs. I don't think the model I described above will ever replace the very human need to have a tangible contact with something, even music. Half my soundtracks are really souvenirs; I know that.
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

For soundtracks I truly treasure, I purchase the physical CD. As AdamR said, there is just something about being able to hold that CD in your hand, read all the goodies in the insert and be able to refer to it when you want to. (I love the smell of the ink!)

As to the future, the trend is clear. More and more magazines have forgone print & postage costs and gone strictly digital (example Film Score Monthly.) I have shelves full of old issues, and I still use them as resources. That said, there is a distinct advantage to the digital version; i.e. video interviews, sound clips, and hotlinks. Many magazines now offer the option of getting a digital version rather than hard copy. (I'm the newsletter editor of an organization and we give people that choice.)

More and more newspapers are folding (excuse the pun) as people prefer to get their info from the internet. The ones that do continue to subscribe either don't use the net (the elderly) and those who are after the coupons.

With iPods and blackberries, most people want their music fast and cheap (buy 1 digital track instead of 12 on a CD) and they don't want the storage problem of physical CDs... nor DVDs either.

The other big change is all the independent and fledgling musicians out there who could never afford to produce a physical CD. Yet their music is being heard all over the world... much of it offered for free just so they can get their name out there. That is a trend that is growing exponentially. And I say "wooohooo!"
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rather fond of downloads, so I wouldn't care much if stuff only gets released digitally. I only buy an actual CD when I can't find a download... and then I go and rip it to my harddrive. Wink
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 26242

AdamR is offline View user's profile Send private message View AdamR's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I guess Up is here. :p My mistake.

I think you guys are right...convenience does win out in the end, and that's what the ipod has given users--convenience without carrying around stacks of cds. Twopop, you're right on about storage...I keep all my cds in closed leather storage binders with artwork and use all the empty cases when we make home videos for school activities. Storage is definitely a factor.

However, I think the true soundtrack listeners (most of us here) are the picky types and want the disc, not the download. The ability to create discs from download sites would be nice, but would they use the lossless source and not charge an arm and leg for the right to have a physical copy? I know amazon has a sort of disc on demand feature, but will this be an option for digital releases so us traditionalists aren't left in the dust?

We can hope! Smile
USA BuyerQueen

Member#: 89

BuyerQueen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View BuyerQueen's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamR wrote:
Storage is definitely a factor.

You have no idea! Wink I'm not sure how JERIC feels about a cd vs. digital, but I prefer the digital. And storage is the main factor.

BQ
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

BuyerQueen wrote:
AdamR wrote:
Storage is definitely a factor.

You have no idea! Wink

I've been always wondering how does it look in your case. More than 11.000 albums! You must have some huge shelves or maybe a deep basement Wink

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
Portugal NanM
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 16245

NanM is offline View user's profile Send private message View NanM's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

alien_avatar wrote:
I only buy an actual CD when I can't find a download... and then I go and rip it to my harddrive. Wink

Eh really?!
Wouldn't be better for you to buy a digital copy when you can't find the CD? Otherwise you are listening an inferior copy in terms of audio quality, unless digital media stores start to sell, worldwide, lossless files as a download option. But then how we know if it's a true lossless audio file or not, right?

In my opinion CD's is the only option to go. And will be a sad day if music won't be avaiable on CD format anymore.
Because digital files per se, can't replace the experience of playing your music (and here enters the soundtrack collector inside on me), while you view the artwork, read the liner notes, study the track by track analysis and look at the movie production photos of the booklet, that every respected soundtrack label like FSM, Intrada, Lalalandand and some others, care to put on CD.

And while these labels are active, then we know that a CD format won't be extinct soon.
USA BuyerQueen

Member#: 89

BuyerQueen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View BuyerQueen's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

molossus wrote:
I've been always wondering how does it look in your case. More than 11.000 albums! You must have some huge shelves or maybe a deep basement Wink

We had custom shelves built into our home when we moved in but they are only for 80s and SST. We had to relocated DFM to another room that had book shelves already across one wall. So DFM has it's own room now. Both are practically full and I'm not sure what we will do next. But we will figure out something.

Thank goodness Saffy takes care of EFM and AFM!

BQ
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

NanM wrote:
alien_avatar wrote:
I only buy an actual CD when I can't find a download... and then I go and rip it to my harddrive. Wink

Eh really?!
Wouldn't be better for you to buy a digital copy when you can't find the CD? Otherwise you are listening an inferior copy in terms of audio quality, unless digital media stores start to sell, worldwide, lossless files as a download option. But then how we know if it's a true lossless audio file or not, right?

In my opinion CD's is the only option to go. And will be a sad day if music won't be avaiable on CD format anymore.
Because digital files per se, can't replace the experience of playing your music (and here enters the soundtrack collector inside on me), while you view the artwork, read the liner notes, study the track by track analysis and look at the movie production photos of the booklet, that every respected soundtrack label like FSM, Intrada, Lalalandand and some others, care to put on CD.

And while these labels are active, then we know that a CD format won't be extinct soon.

I care much about the price and downloads are usually quite a bit cheaper than CDs.
And about that sound quality thing: I... can't... hear... a... BLOODY... difference!!! Never could!
Either my hearing is that bad, or maybe my speakers are or whatever.. Rolling Eyes Laughing
In a different thread someone once posted a link where you could take a little test whether you could hear what kind of recording it was by listening to different samples. There I got confirmation that I really couldn't tell. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to have CDs. I buy em, rip em, and put the CD in a box to collect dust. It is like having a good backup.

I just decided to buy Transformers Score (not the bloody "official soundtrack"). The manufacturing has apparently stopped (resulting in hight prices) and is only available digitally.

I WANT THIS SCORE ! :S
Italy Xalira
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 25119

Xalira is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Xalira's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that soundtracks usually cost 20 € or more in Italy, on iTunes Store they're obviously cheaper. But as we talk about score CDs, I say that I love the booklet with the best images from the movie etc... That is enough for me to search for the physical release. Just my opinion Smile
UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

digital distribution will not happen any time too soon. there's other things to consider.

1. it would wipe out retailers.

2. some people prefer owning the physical product for either principal, collectors value, or other use such as portable players and the car.

3. you could possibly lose control of your consumer rights. we've seen this with videogames where DD based releases is based on 1 license per person. you wouldnt be able to lend music to a friend or make your own compilation.

4. alot of people dont have the net and that would negate alot of customers. especially those who are net or technology savy.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point it was imagined that your retailers would become something different:

Imagine a much smaller store with no finished product, just "raw materials" They'd had blank media and burners, paper/ink/etc for covers/booklets, and empty cases. You come in and order "Transformers: The Original Score" and they download it (or have it stored locally), burn you an "official copy" and print out all the insert material, disk art, etc. A few minutes later you have your disk just as if you had purchased it in the traditional manner.

For new/popular releases the retailer could decide to prepare a number of copies and have them on hand.

It also wouldn't be that difficult to do books in a similar manner.

jeff
sdg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: