StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Feature request: Automatic track length limitation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Automatic Track length limitation
Yes
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
No
80%
 80%  [ 17 ]
I don't care either way.
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
The problems we see in the queue (e.g. some people requesting "too much" or putting several long tracks in the queue at once) are done on purpose.

The one exception I should have made is for new people ... sometimes they are so excited to have found SST, they just go nuts requesting. Those ppl we can excuse. Ya gotta love their enthusiam Spoiler:
because we have all been there!
Wink
USA Cyberbrain
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 185

Cyberbrain is offline View user's profile Send private message Cyberbrain's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea its not at all pointed at new people. Thats totally understandable.
USA zgurl49
Commander
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

But even mimi-trolls have feelings!...I think Smile
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 26242

AdamR is offline View user's profile Send private message View AdamR's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to agree with others and say no to this idea. I have lots of favorite tracks, understand the netiquette and just choose shorter tracks on long queues. Granted I may have to wait a bit, but that's life and my request will still play.
diginferno

Member#: 14160

diginferno is offline View user's profile Send private message View diginferno's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:
Mini-trolls I guess you'd say. Wink

Hey, I'm a full-fledged troll and I still don't do that on purpose! Could that be because I'm an XL troll? Laughing

Oh well, I don't know if my vote would do any good to the people here, since I don't visit this station too often, so I didn't vote. Also, the poll does not offer an option that would reflect my opinion on those limits. I would say that the war between the "yes" factors and the "no" factors I can think of would end up leaving a feeling of fake neutrality. Fake because I have strong feelings about this topic, so the "I don't care" option does not apply.

Let me put it this way: assume that we can go inside a rehearsal hall as guests, during a composition session. The artists are just creating the works that someday will be added to the playlist here. They play and argue about the music that's coming out of their hearts, they come up with new ideas and shape the music as we watch them in awe. Then they reach the point where the song is considered finished, as in "okay, and this should end up with something like this: ♪♫♪". And they give it a full play to see how it sounds without being interrupted. Some of us think it's a wonderful song, others will say that they're not particularly impressed, and others will say that they're hungry and when do we leave, but everyone listens to it for 17 minutes, because that's the final length of the song. Then all of a sudden, some of us yell "Wait a minute! This song can't possibly be this long! You MUST make it fit inside 15 minutes! Start cutting pieces from it to make it fit!". Can you imagine any other reactions than "F*** off, b****!", "Get the h*** outta here!", "Who the f*** let you in?" or, maybe, "What are you doing in here, honey? Go out and play in the sand." and other stuff like this? Honestly, I can't. And I wouldn't blame the artists, because they are the only ones who are right.

Ok, 'nuff said, let's get back to reality. I think that this topic requires careful consideration. You know what the alternative would be to this? I will let you guess. There's a reason why I'm called "troll", or even "THE troll", after all. Wink

.::If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions::.
UK Dragonel VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with people picking long tracks because that is what they want to hear, particularly non-VIPs who at that queue length will only get one request a day anyway. Hopefully VIPs are sufficiently aware of etiquette to decide if they really have to hear that track right now.

I do object to those who pick long tracks because they think it's "funny", but until SST invents mind-reading software, it's a little hard sometimes to tell the difference.

Besides, yesterday we got to 3:30 with only one 7 minute track and two 6-minute tracks, so I guess it's just a result of SSTs popularity this summer. If it gets to where the requests are disabled for hours most days, then it may need looking at, but at the moment it's just a minor irritation from time to time.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonel wrote:
I do object to those who pick long tracks because they think it's "funny", but until SST invents mind-reading software, it's a little hard sometimes to tell the difference.

I guess pesa's just going to have to get moving on that software.

I think some people pick long tracks because they only have the one shot per day. That's fine, but sometimes the longest tracks are not the best. Case in point: "An Unpleasant Incident Involving a Train" from Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events is the most boring 4:51 you could hope for. But it's the second-longest track on the album, and that's why I think people pick it. That's a shame, because there is so much better music elsewhere on that score. Yet another reason why we need people to write helpful reviews!

I wish people wouldn't apologize for the track length in the comments. If someone's mad about the request, it won't mollify him. And if someone doesn't care, then your apology won't make any never mind to her.
USA AdamR
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 26242

AdamR is offline View user's profile Send private message View AdamR's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Good point LI. Apologizing won't change anything. Request, and enjoy when your turn comes.
Finland GalFin
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16241

GalFin is offline View user's profile Send private message View GalFin's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 'no' also, although I don't have a strong opinion about this. I realize that long tracks (over 7 minutes or so) could be a problem if there are a lot of people requesting and the queue becomes very long very quickly but on the other hand I understand that especially non-VIPs are more likely to request longer tracks.

I myself have have often decided not to request at peak time (if I'm online at all) or at least try to request short tracks.

So let's just try to be considerate and remember the netiquette.
Norway Choli
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 393

Choli is offline View user's profile Send private message View Choli's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted NO.
Some of long track are very nice and why I couldn't hear it? It don't have a sense.
Of course I think that tracks were producer/director/actor is talking over 20 minutes about "how we make a film" it's completely different. 20 minutes of no matter what music is ok but 20 minutes talking on this radio is annoying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: