StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

scrap the user reviews for albums
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 

swop reviews for casual comments?
yes
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
no
87%
 87%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 16

UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:41 pm   Post subject: scrap the user reviews for albums Reply with quote

instead, have comments. this way people can casually chat about the album and leave comments. this will probably be better than having a thread about an album that for most part most users dont comment in in my experience.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Why couldn't we have both?

jeff
sdg
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As the #2 reviewer on this site, maybe I'm a little biased, but what's wrong with album reviews? I put a lot of effort into writing reviews that I think actually help and inform people. (Okay, I'm also trying to spread the glorious message of how wonderful I am, but that's secondary and every writer does that.)

I think that we have a forum for casual comments, and that the album page should be kept less cluttered. You're right, not many people write reviews, but that's okay.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 19134

JadedTitan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View JadedTitan's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As #3 i agree with Ladyi, i put a lot of work into my reviews, at least i try to be informative so people who read them know what to expect from the music of that score. sure some who do 'reviews' are not reviews at all and are sort of worthless, but i dont think those of us who have put time and effort into these reviews should be pushed aside. Both might be alright, but i would think getting rid of them is not a good idea at all. Try to promote more people writing them than getting rid of the system all together.

...further idea, why not write reviews yourself joyrider? you donate plenty of albums, anime and games, you seem to like these scores enough to donate, why not write reviews so others know why you like them and whats on the albums that they may enjoy? I always thought those that send in albums should write reviews, but i guess some dont have the time for as many as they donate...
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted no.

When I see there is a review on the album, I always read it, sometimes it helps to choose a track the reviewer really like when the album is not familiar to me.
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted no as well.

Sometimes the reviews are helpful, sometimes not so much... but I don't see a problem with having them. *shrug*
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The reviews we receive are almost always of extremely high quality - well thought out, researched, interestingly written, and most of all, a nice incentive to take another listen or check out an album for the first time.

The posters (above) and some others are exceptional writers, and I for one am very grateful they take time to write reviews for SST. We are very lucky to have them.

As J2 suggested, yes we can have both. That said, I tend to not publish the 1-or-2 line comments people submit, simply because it isn't helpful to other readers to read "I like this score a lot!" Those kind of comments can be done in chat. (I usually contact the writer and ask them to write a longer review.)

But there's nothing wrong with 3-4 well thought out sentences of substance. Those will be published.
USA Cyberbrain
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 185

Cyberbrain is offline View user's profile Send private message Cyberbrain's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the reviews people write. I don't see why we couldn't have both, as long as it doesn't turn into a youtube style comment fest.
BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5034

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer reviews to comments. The latter can always be mentioned in chat.

Is there any way to see which albums have reviews? It might be good to maintain a list of the reviews that can be sorted by Composer & Album.
BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

BhelPuri is offline View user's profile Send private message View BhelPuri's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twopop wrote:

But there's nothing wrong with 3-4 well thought out sentences of substance. Those will be published.

Now this is a win-win situation so I see no reason to complain. Reviews are welcome. And comments with some info/description are also welcome.
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

BhelPuri wrote:

Is there any way to see which albums have reviews?

They have this icon alongside the album name in the playlist (if that's what you ask for BP).

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
BhelPuri
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

molossus wrote:
BhelPuri wrote:

Is there any way to see which albums have reviews?

They have this icon alongside the album name in the playlist (if that's what you ask for BP).

Ah, that's certainly helpful. But it still requires one to list all the playlist (by a search/browse) albums and see which ones have reviews. It would be nice if we had a section specifically to show the albums with reviews, like the ScoreDVD feature.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

BhelPuri wrote:
Is there any way to see which albums have reviews? It might be good to maintain a list of the reviews that can be sorted by Composer & Album.

I'm glad you asked this question, BP! Good news - we've been discussing a Reviews module and it's now in the works. Very Happy
At first we considered having it show just the last 10 or so reviews, but I think when it's launched, you will be able to see them all, which currently stands at 197.
UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberbrain wrote:
I really like the reviews people write. I don't see why we couldn't have both, as long as it doesn't turn into a youtube style comment fest.

im not talking about spam but decent comments. something like twitter. like you can hear a track being played and quickly click on the album cover and go and type a comment about what you heard. rather than trail the forums for a thread about the album. the chat box is good but so much gold get lost after a few hours.

im not sure how reviewing music works. i dont get it. i remember filmtracks.com reviewed the bourne identity saying it was basically trash but to me it was a good album. had that on my minidisc player for when i used to work evenings.
USA AdamR
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 26242

AdamR is offline View user's profile Send private message View AdamR's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I review albums here and I don't think its a hard thing to do. I try to state what the album is like for those who aren't sure which tracks to request. If I help you out, great, if not, so be it. I liked the album enough to share what I thought about it. Very Happy

Joyrider, I've gone to filmtracks as well, and I don't always agree with what the writers say about albums. They loathe Pirates of the Caribbean because it reuses stuff from Gladiator...that makes it one star when Gladiator got five? Yeah, its being lazy, but gosh darn it that music worked well for a fun family film! The music did its job and I can always replay scenes from the film when I hear the main theme. You may not always agree with the review but that doesn't stop people from writing them to at least say what they thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: