StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Feature Request: Cancel request ability.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Good idea?
Yes
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 21

Netherlands Haino
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 21194

Haino is offline View user's profile Send private message View Haino's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

Last edited by Haino on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion: Click carefully. If you click wrong, enjoy the "happy accident". (Curious if anybody will recognize the quote.)

Wink

jeff
sdg
USA AK-Mal_Owner
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4415

AK-Mal_Owner is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AK-Mal_Owner's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I say leave it alone. I can see some one getting the confirm page, thinking it's the dedication page, and moving on... and then people are going to start thinking that something is wrong since their request didn't go through. I'd say that if it was a prevalent problem, then there might be cause for change. As it is, I like and enjoy the simplicity. And yes, I've accidentally clicked on the wrong song. More than once. It's no different than punching "A6" on the jukebox when you meant to hit "A5". You don't get your quarter back.

-tg/akm
USA Cyberbrain
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 185

Cyberbrain is offline View user's profile Send private message Cyberbrain's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump because I've done this three times now where I would I could cancel my own req that I made accidently due to a misclick or the page scrolling as i click.

If would be nice if you had up to 2 minutes to cancel your own request. A Confirmation page wouldn't of helped because everyone would just click confirm without even really reading it, out of habit... myself included.
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you really want to request a JW request and then you must be quick.

I stay with my 'No' vote and say:

Check if you really want to request that track. This is a better option

Wink
USA Cyberbrain
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cyberbrain is offline View user's profile Send private message Cyberbrain's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It has nothing to do with JW requests. Its happened to me several times with other artists/albums.

Sometimes people just plain misclick or the browser scrolls as they click or any number of other possible mishaps. When I use my touchscreen computer it happens alot then too.

Its just a nice and reasonable feature to request.
Portugal NanM
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 16245

NanM is offline View user's profile Send private message View NanM's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberbrain, you also need to consider that once you misclicked a track that you have requested, it may be of interest to someone else when they see that track in the queue list, and can be disappointing when notice that suddenly a track is removed from the list when they are expecting and waiting your misclicked track to play.
Poland molossus VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 11167

molossus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View molossus's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberbrain wrote:
A Confirmation page wouldn't of helped because everyone would just click confirm without even really reading it, out of habit...

I'm not sure if we should ask Pesa or any other member of the SST Crew to sacrifice their time and efforts to build more complicated feature just because there are members who have a habit of clicking buttons not caring for reading a simple information they are provided with.

Avatar is from work of art by Drew Struzan
USA Cyberbrain
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

NanM, I do consider that, thats why the ability to cancel should have a timeframe with in 1-2 minutes before most people would even notice.

Molossus, Exactly my point. A confirmation page isn't a good solution, just maybe a button on the "Dedication page" to say "Cancel Request" And have that button only work for 2 minutes.
Something that could be done, if Pesa or anyone else had free time and felt like doing. Hense why it was merely an idea to throw out there. Im just going to stop offering up ideas to help improve the site.
Finland GalFin
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16241

GalFin is offline View user's profile Send private message View GalFin's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberbrain, please do not take this too personally. I think you've raised an interesting point and you should not stop making suggestions and bringing up ideas just because the idea is not implemented or others don't support it completely!

I just think that implementing the cancel feature would bring up too many complications and has a potential of making requesting difficult and a more random process.
An example: Let's think there is a cancel request feature with a 2 minute wait time. You've made a request of a, let's say, James Horner track, and then you notice that you made a mistake and want to cancel it. So you cancel it and want to change the track from the album you requested. At the same time you release the artist to be requested and it just may be that someone else is requesting James Horner also at about the same time, and he/she is faster and so you lose your James Horner request.

If you want canceling the request to keep the artist still reserved for you, so that you can change your request from the same album for example, I'd think that would make the system even more complicated. How about if you then decide to cancel your request completely? Then there would have to be another cancel option at this point.

Also, let's say that at about the same time you request that James Horner track another SST member is trying to request another track by James Horner only to get the message "Artist already in the queue". Ok, the person decides to request another composer, only to discover few minutes later, that you've canceled your request and now James Horner would be available. Well, I'm pretty sure that the other member would not be too pleased about that.

So, the cancel feature would make requesting a bit of a game of chance because you'd not be sure if the artist or the track is really taken or is it available a few minutes later. The current system is clear. If the artist is already in the queue, the artist will not be available until the track is playing and that's it.

I've made plenty of mistakes when requesting, but just learned to live with that.

I do understand your frustration especially with the touch screen computers but maybe you now understand that this is a bit more complicated that you might first think...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: