StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Letter from my Congressman!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Yvond
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 39

Yvond is offline View user's profile Send private message Yvond's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:09 am   Post subject: Letter from my Congressman! Reply with quote

Jeric,

I was plesantly surprised last week when I received a letter from Colorado Congressman Mark Udall of the House of Representatives in response to my letter regarding the future of Internet Radio. Like all Congressmen, he tried to please, without really saying anything. [Roll Eyes] I thought you might be interested in his views, so here is the letter in its entirety. For anyone who wishes to comment on the letter, feel free to respond...

-----

Thank you for writing with your concerns about copyright protection, digital content, and fair-use rights. I appreciate your taking the time to get in touch.

As you know, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act has been criticized as too far-reaching. As it is intended to protect technology that in turn protects copyrighted material, the DMCA often protects more broadly than copyright law does. Unlike copyright law, technologies need not permit fair use, and there are no time limits associated with their protection.

I believe one purpose of copyright law is to strike a balance between the rights of owners and the interests of users. But the advent of the digital age may require a new balance to be struck so that copyright law doesn't become a restraint on innovation but instead continues to drive economic and creative development.

I am not at all certain that Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Ernest Hollings (D-SC) has struck the right balance in recently introduced legislation. His Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act (S. 2048) would mandate specific technology to manage digital rights. I am concerned that such a proposal may turn out not to be sufficiently flexible or strike the right balance among all the different parties interested in issues related to copyrighted material. I am hopeful that Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy's (D-VT) approach -- urging the high-tech and content communities to work together to find a market solution -- will result in an inter-industry agreement on protection intellectual property online.

Should companion legislation to S. 2048 be introduced in the House, please know that I will monitor it closely and remember your views.

Thanks again for writing. I am always glad to hear from my fellow Coloradans.

Warm regards,

Mark Udall
Member of Congress
gecko
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 14

gecko is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website gecko's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:02 am   Post subject: Letter from my Congressman! Reply with quote

Well, I'm glad you got a reply. Even if you weren't satisfied with it. [Smile]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: