StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Who is the best movie music composer EVER?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Who is the best movie music composer EVER?
John Williams
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Jerry Goldsmith
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
James Horner
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Max Steiner
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Hans Zimmer
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Elmer Bernstein
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bernard Herrmann
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Danny Elfman
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Howard Shore
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Alan Silvestri
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bill Conti
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Franz Waxman
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ennio Morricone
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Other (please tell us below!)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

esmagnus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 24499

esmagnus is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View esmagnus's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:24 pm   Post subject: Who is the best movie music composer EVER? Reply with quote

I know it's hard to pick just one, but pretend you HAVE to! lol Be sure to tell us why you picked the composer you did.

As tempting as it is for me to pick John Williams, I went with Jerry Goldsmith given his huge body of work covering so many different genres, working on so many different kinds of films/tv shows and collaborating with so many different people.

Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we had a similar thread somewhere here in the forums. Wink

Nice pictures collection btw.

And for the record: GOLDSMITH FOR THE WIN Very Happy
Commander
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to go Williams on this one. Why? A few words:

Jaws, E.T., Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Harry Potter.
Lieutenant Commander

esmagnus is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View esmagnus's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

bpewien wrote:
I think we had a similar thread somewhere here in the forums. Wink

Nice pictures collection btw.

And for the record: GOLDSMITH FOR THE WIN Very Happy

Any bets on Goldsmith retaining the crown?
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Esmagnus, who knows... ^^
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 29173

jimfish is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website jimfish's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the being the end-all BEST movie composer ever, but I've not found a single Morricone score that hasn't inspired some form of thought or emotion within me...
Ensign

Member#: 18133

Caelestis is offline View user's profile Send private message View Caelestis's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My first pick is, without a doubt, Ennio Morricone. But, in my opinion, one important composer who needed to be mentioned here is Basil Poledouris.
Germany tinkerbelle
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 25449

tinkerbelle is offline View user's profile Send private message View tinkerbelle's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love almost all the composers mentioned above, but after a long thought it had to be John Williams, not only for his awesome scores on Star Wars, Jurassic Park etc. ... but also for doing such fine pieces for Sabrina, Stanley and Iris and The Sleepers .... Smile
Captain
Captain

Member#: 25890

ZeframCochrane is offline View user's profile Send private message ZeframCochrane's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion John Williams is the MASTER! Very Happy
Commodore

Member#: 24518

Angel is offline View user's profile Send private message Angel's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I should say John Barry Razz but it has to be John Williams because he made to many great soundtracks.

my soundtrack collection
esmagnus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa! JW comeback! guess people are getting stoked about JW at the Hwood Bowl!
Ensign

Member#: 331

Andres is offline View user's profile Send private message View Andres's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of you know that I am a long-time Goldsmith fiend. So one might imagine that the choice would be a no-brainer for me.

But a question like this requires more than responding with one's personal favorite. "Best Film Composer Ever" involves much more than whether one was deeply affected by a particular composer. One has to look at the body of work and take into account things like overall quality, variety and even things like career success.

What really slows me down on this issue is that I spent some time analyzing John Williams' music this last year, and I have to say that in terms of sheer complexity and the power to translate experience into music, his peaks are the peak of the whole business. I still grope a bit to find words to describe what I found, but in essence Williams has a phenomenal power of abstraction, he can sometimes bring not just the emotion (often in layers) of a scene but also an almost perceptual recreation of the action and the setting into his music in a way that is both very direct and yet very musical and entirely integrated to the purpose of evoking the emotion. I think this quality that sometimes arises in his work sets him apart from any other composer, at all, ever.

I can't begin to try to define Goldsmith's strengths in this writing, but his greatness lay more in bringing in outside sources and in generating powerful emotional musical ideas to create a sort of musical commentary on a scene. There is a great deal of overlap between Williams and Goldsmith in the compositional tools they used and and the level of musical competence they brought to the table. Drawing a distinction between them requires that I paint in bold strokes when the truth is more subtle.

So do I vote for Williams? I can't. Just in terms of sheer musical achievement I have lately come to believe that John Williams has the edge, but there is more to film scoring than that. On every other issue Goldsmith is competitive, but I can't choose him either.

So I can't vote. And that opens the field for me and leads me to ponder the fact that each great film composer is an unrepeatable gift to us. How can one decide which is best among so many utterly unique and irreplaceable voices? I don't think it's really possible unless you define the standards very specifically and narrowly, and then the answer probably becomes both more obvious and less interesting. Smile
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like most of the composers mentioned in the poll, but I simply refuse to pick any one favorite.
IMO, most composers have delivered beaautiful soundtracks... but also scores that were miles away from awesome.
That's the problem with most "best" lists, be it composers, actors, politicians, companies or whatever.
I take things on a "case-by-case" basis, and that makes it really, really difficult to pick a best of anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: