StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

From RAIN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Morg VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 57

Morg is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Morg's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:01 pm   Post subject: From RAIN Reply with quote

"With the right technology, everywhere is 'international waters'..."

All I can say is: "Route around it."

That is, if there are 3,000 stations still streaming, the RIAA's legal crew could conceivably send 3,000 cease & desist letters -- but what if there were 30,000? 300,000?

If you haven't already, everyone go grab a copy of Shoutcast or Darwin Streaming Server and start sharing the love. Using "frequency hopping" techniques -- i.e., onion routing, constantly shifting IP addresses, anonymous rendezvous points to locate active streams -- broadcasters could use the vast, distributed nature of the sprawling Internet to give the RIAA fits -- and let them waste vast sums of money trying to track down each and every streamer. On the Internet, with the right technology
everywhere is "international waters!"

Raise the pirate flags, y'all!

Deep background
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 125

ke4cpc is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ke4cpc's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:46 pm   Post subject: From RAIN Reply with quote

In theory, that'd be feasible, and even like starting a war... But in reality, there's no way to afford such a rebellion. Instead of asking everyone for $12 or $20 for a cd or more bandwidth, instead you're asking them to churn up about $1500 each to host a server, and though I don't speak for everyone, I am struggling to keep my cable bill paid so I can keep my home computer up and running. There's no way I could afford a music server. I tried to afford a free server about three months ago. It was going to operate like the old BBSes but have web-access and telnet access. All I got was a case, a hard drive and some software. It's still here, but I am seriously considering posting that on ebay due to further financial burdens... In any case, I couldn't imagine others having such good fortunes as to put up their own servers and be so successful.

On the other hand, It would be great if those interested in keeping webcasting alive would contact the local radio stations who do not have internet broadcasting in place yet, and encouraging them to promote their station in that manner. If they have the legal right to broadcast music ann so forth over the public radio waves, then it should be allowed to do the same thing via the internet. There are so many things the internet has to offer with high-speed communications improving, but these technological advancements are being slowed or halted because of greed and stupidity. If someone would just build these advances without the idea that they could make millions, and then distribute it for all to share, then life on the internet would be great. Just the same, it would be great if these ambulance-chasers would stop trying to make their millions from these technological advancements by stopping them in the name of intrusion, or infringement. Another example besides webcasting is Voice over IP, a technology that allows you to use your home computer for telephony communications. This technology was acheived in the late 80's, when Bulletin board systems were connecting to each other by networks other than the single phone line, and linking using a standard protocol that would relay 16-bit transfers. But then it was expressed that this type of communications was a waste of bandwidth since the same thing could be acheived over the same phone lines, at a much cheaper rate. The FCC later ordered a cap on the telephone lines of 53333 baud since data telephony would have to be faster (64k) to be understandable. Except that there were ways around that too. Voice compression, empty data packet suppression and so forth. Thus sites such as dialpad.com and the like were created. Now the big scare is that long-distance companies would be driven out of business in much the same way the US Mail service has suffered since E-mail has become so standard.

So what can we do about these blunders? It's hard to say how we can bypass 12-20 years of nonsense and greed and stupidity before we are allowed to advance ourselves technologically with the communications level that is available to us now. If you ask 100 americans "What is the internet?" you'd be surprised what reaction you'd get from 90 of them. Those 90 people would say something like "This big place where everyone can chat to each other, and you can get information, like a big library." The corect answer should sound something like, "The internet is the shortest distance between two computers. What you choose to use it for is your choice," The apabilities are limited to data only. But that's a great big gateway. If you an transfer it through wires, be it verbal or digital, you can transfer it over the internet...
The problem is there's lawyers, mainly lawyers who don't want this to happen unless you pay for it. I mean, you pay for your internet service, right? SO what's the big deal after that? I mean, it'd be like a theme park who already charges you for the entrance into the park, also charging you for standing in line for nearly an hour, and then charging you for the ride or show. If they did that, then a lot of people would stop going to theme parks. But in essence, these lawmers are telling all these theme parks that if they don't charge their guests for the wait in line and for the ride, plus taxing them for walking around, decidding which ride they want to go on, then they will have to shut down not just their theme park, but everyone's theme park!

Does any of this make sense, or did I just waste a megabyte of server space? Sorry, but I write unusually long flames. And unfortunately, I can't seem to fit in more than one line of praise when I do offer it.

Speaking of it,
Good job streamingsoundtracks.com, you are an asset to the entire internet service!
EvilKitty
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 38

EvilKitty is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website EvilKitty's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:39 am   Post subject: From RAIN Reply with quote

I think that's a great idea. It will be a bit hard for them to track down 300,000+ streamers... I've used the broadcaster from shoutcast before, and I'm only able to handle 1-2 listeners at a time with my bandwith, but if it's a pirate war the record industry wants, it's a war they are gonna get!

Arrr... Arrr Matey! Attack the landlovers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: