StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Nightwish - The Hans Zimmer of the Heavy Metal genre
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Croatia Lonefellow
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 24040

Lonefellow is offline View user's profile Send private message View Lonefellow's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:22 am   Post subject: Nightwish - The Hans Zimmer of the Heavy Metal genre Reply with quote

Well, Nightwish isn't really unfamiliar in most of the world since their last album. Although these kinds of topics usually require a short intro to the band itself, I will skip to the actual point of this topic. Any and every info you can find here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightwish

In short, before they were known as a band in the veins of power metal and even gothic metal (god forbid), but now the most accurate description would be symphonic metal. My consistent metal band repertoire ranges only from this band and Therion, so I am not going to discuss how metal this band is, since I know metal purists would hang me... It's how soundtrackish their sound is. In their last albums, the latter is at a very high point.

The orchestral parts were made in Abbey Road and performed by the LSO themselves with Pip Williams doing the arrangements. A number of guest artists such as the Lakotan musician John Two-Hawks and the uillean pipes player, known in the celtic genre, Troy Donockley appear on tracks of their music. All of this would mean nothing if the song themselves don't live up to the production value. Luckily, they do.

You may have heard the singles such as Amaranth, Nemo, Wish I had an Angel and such tracks. I will tell you to erase them from memory. Sure, these songs may be catchy, they don't, however, represent the band at their full potential. In fact, these songs represent one of their absolute lows. With so many rich tracks at their disposal their choices of singles is really confusing considering how much more they are than the tracks representing them and their albums.

The focus of this discussion is obviously on the last two albums: Once and Dark Passion Play. The songs I mention here I recommend listening as a fan of soundtracks, not a metal fan. I am not sure if I may post youtube links, so I will simply list them with a short description.

From Once:

Creek Mary's Blood - A song representing the struggle of the American natives. A calm orchestral undertone that picks up tempo later in the track and John Two-Hawks gives a lovely sound with his flute playing and
vocal accompaniment.

The Siren - A song with a mystical atmosphere designed to draw you in a similar manner as the title creatures in legends. Has a frenzy violin solo in the middle.

Ghost Love Score - This is a rich orchestral experience all around following a certain love story and one of the rare songs of this lenght that can immerse you from beginning to end. Features a lot of atmospherical and tempo changes while still maintaining a feeling of the theme throughout.

From Dark Passion Play:

The Poet and the Pendulum - Along with Ghost Love Score, this is the highpoint of their music. A 13 minute epic consisting of a total of 5 parts. It ranges from an etheraly calm joyride with boy choir vocals to horror like Elfmany passages. In my honest opinion you will not find a more soundtrackish sound in non-soundtrack music than this. Note that the lyrics are quite dark at points so I wouldn't recommend playing this to anyone under 16.

Sahara - A song similar to the Siren, but with a barren desert feeling to it. Imo, the middle sounds like a homage to the old Egypt themed soundtracks such as the Ten Commandments and Cleopatra.

The Islander - This is a celtic acoustic piece featuring the male vocalist throughout. Nothing much to say here, it is an enjoyable song and one of the rare instances where their choice of singles was a spot on decision.

Meadows of Heaven - A very calming song that talks about childhood and nostalgia, so it sounds both idyllic and melancholic. Starting with mellow strings and piano it slowly develops to a celtic sound and ending with an all powerful combination of orchestra, guitars and a gospel choir!

-----

Also, if it is alright, I would like that the discussion of this topic goes as far as possible from the singer arguments and focuses on the sound itself.
Netherlands Ghostkeeper
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 27774

Ghostkeeper is offline View user's profile Send private message View Ghostkeeper's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A long, long time ago I heard a midi version of one of their songs titled "Hotel Horror" that I liked.
I haven't pursued them, because metal is not my genre, but they always remind me of that little tune.
Cadet 2

Lonefellow is offline View user's profile Send private message View Lonefellow's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid that they do not have a song by that name. Could be a mislabel like many, many other songs of all artists on the internet.
USA zgurl49
Commander
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing leofikus. I've listened to some Nightwish in the past and always enjoyed their sound since it mixes my love of score music and my love of metal music. Will have to check out the songs you mentioned too!
Lieutenant

Member#: 25119

Xalira is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Xalira's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

They used to be one of my favourites bands when Tarja was on board. Now the passion/obsession of Tuomas Holopainen for Hans Zimmer is starting to bore me, I hope they will change things a bit with their new album (due September 2011).
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stumbled in on this subject.
Nightwish is one of the few metalgroups I like (being Dreamtheatre the other major one)
Like Xalira I preferred Tarja singing and also I am in favour of the more Gothic Metal sound.
On the other hand I also enjoy having Tarja's Christmas Soloalbum which I can recommend here as well.

take a look at my collection: My album list
Italy Xalira
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Xalira is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Xalira's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of the new album, Imaginaerum? There's even a movie coming out next year!
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't have time to look into the new album ( blame SST Smile )

take a look at my collection: My album list
Croatia Lonefellow
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pretty good. Because of the soundtrack love, I simply ADORE Scaretale, so much Elfman on that song!

Slow Love Slow is a beautiful jazzy ballad, my second favorite on the whole thing. Is it me or does the atmosphere remind me of Twin Peaks?

Arabesque is also good, an orchestral instrumental with a zurna playing in the background.
Turn Loose the Mermaids also gets on the list because it's a nice ballad that sort of starts like a Blackmore's Night tune, then turns into a spaghetti western, almost Morricone ending.

Last Ride of the Day is powerful and the first part of Song of Myself is pretty damn exciting. The poem in the second half isn't bad, a beautiful instrumental behind it but I need to be in the mood for it.

The songs I really dislike are Storytime and The "birdie" song and coincidentally they are both singles. Though Storytime has a cool children's choir/Crimson Tidish bridge going on, so it's sort of bearable.

I'd give it an 8 but would recommend it more to a soundtrack lover than a metal lover.
USA dragon_Angel_05
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 12015

dragon_Angel_05 is offline View user's profile Send private message View dragon_Angel_05's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard about this band. The first song I've heard from them at the time was "Walking in the Air".
Italy Xalira
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Anette is officially leaving Nightwish, it seems: http://www.nightwish.com/en/news?a=2187&fb_action_ids=4560501300329&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't seem to have much luck with their female vocalists... Rolling Eyes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 16

Wolf is offline View user's profile Send private message Wolf's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I ahve been liking to listen to them when Tarja was on board and enjoyed it too with Annette but yeah, they need to get a stable vocal.

I drifted towards Within Temptation as a result and I actually don't regret it.

I still listen to both. Wink
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, these are from the show in London:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xalira/sets/72157631970903560/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yMfc94aeRg
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

So how was Floor?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: