StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Social Network Soundtrack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Canada simplisticshen...
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 26684

simplisticshenanigans is offline View user's profile Send private message View simplisticshenanigans's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:40 pm   Post subject: The Social Network Soundtrack Reply with quote

I figured I would try and spark a debate here and see what everyone thinks about this. Wink

When I initially saw The Social Network Soundtrack added to the Playlist I was ecstatic. I have wanted to hear this soundtrack for months and, having not seen the film, was glad SST added it so I could sample Trent Reznor's first step into the world of soundtrack composition.

As the weeks progressed I heard a variety of songs from the soundtrack and – to my surprise, I hated most of what I heard. There are a few beautiful pieces but overall, I think, most of the songs were almost unlistenable and others downright annoying.

I was puzzled.
How could THIS be the soundtrack everyone was talking about?
How did THIS beat out TRON for an Oscar nomination?

Well this past weekend I actually got to watch The Social Network and hear the soundtrack as it was meant to be heard - within a film.
Now I can see why it has gotten all the praise. The music is woven seamlessly throughout the film; it creates emotions for characters that all too often seem cold and distant. I have read a lot of complaints on the message board about this soundtrack – and I will agree for our purposes (simply listening to the music from the film) it is not the best. But when I enjoyed it as it was intended (within a film) I found myself appreciating it immensely and even enjoying it.
I would say:
Listen-ability = 5/10
Effectiveness on Film = 9/10

Cool
USA AdamR
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 26242

AdamR is offline View user's profile Send private message View AdamR's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Some scores can stand on their own...some can't. This one needs the film to be effective. By itself, it either flops as an album, or you might get one or two tracks that sound good on a random playlist for something different.

Like you, I'm surprised this would take down any sort of score with a theme to build on, and using orchestral pieces. You don't always have to agree with the academy. Wink
Oglala Istagi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give it .5/10. for Listen-ability. sure it is the trendy thing now a days. Minimalist scores are in and it is cool to like them. That is the problem with the hipster culture

If this score wins over How to Train Your Dragon. I will have lost any remaining respect I have had for the Academy. it has been years in coming but it will be the straw that breaks the camels back.
Cadet 1

Member#: 23837

cherries is offline View user's profile Send private message View cherries's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this score. To me, it's not particularly melodic or beautiful as a whole, but I think that these tracks work very well. In Motion is probably my favorite track, and that one is pretty melodic and beautiful.

There's an undercurrent of anxiety and something of a dissonance running through the score, and it will turn off some people who are just listening to the score. But to me, it has the opposite effect. I like those qualities here and find them much more than just listenable. This really is a love it or hate it score, but I'm on the positive side. It works incredibly well within the film, but stands on its own. Is it destined to be a classic score? No, but it works anyway.
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well don't forget that score is at first made for the movie not for listening on it's own.
Especially the 'difficult' modern minimalistic scores need some effort to appreciate.
I had the same with Atticus Ross's "Book of Eli" but repetitive studies really made me appreciate this.
After seeing the movie it still recollects fragments of the movie even if it's not melodic.
And I still think the use of "Hall of the Mountain King" in this new setting for a rowing match is brilliant.

take a look at my collection: My album list
Canada simplisticshen...
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 26684

simplisticshenanigans is offline View user's profile Send private message View simplisticshenanigans's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hall Of The Mountain King" was used perfectly in the film.

My favourite track is undoubtably Hand Covers Bruise.
This track conveys so much emotion: Regret, Anger, Sadness and Uncertainty all through a few minimalist sounds.
I believe this is the song playing when Eduardo is talking about the amount of shares he was left with when the company redistibuted what he had.
It is perfectly placed to covey not only everything that he is feeling - but what Zuckerberg is feeling as well.
A brilliant track.

As I hear more and more of this score I can really hear Trent Reznor's style coming through; I am often reminded of some of his NIN tracks and the uneasyness that I felt while listening to some of those...
cherries
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 23837

cherries is offline View user's profile Send private message View cherries's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one reason why I think it's not a score that's going to win over a lot of people. There really is an anxiety and unease to it.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Istagi wrote:
That is the problem with the hipster culture

I find myself increasingly confused by the word "hipster." To what exactly does this refer? What is "hipster culture?"
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_%28contemporary_subculture%29

jeff
sdg
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

So, from my cursory glance, it appears that I was justified in my confusion. The term mutates to refer to whatever the "now" is, and as such, means even less than I thought it did. Thanks, j2.
Captain
Captain

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading J2's link, I don't think the term "hipster' fits for LadyInque. And I even think she doesn't feel sorry for that, right Lady?
And it also mentioned magazines again.

No, I think LadyInque should stick with these hipsters:

Last edited by Dutchbat on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

But then again, J2 might get confused Smile

Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't confused until you mentioned that I might get confused. Now I'm confused about what I may get confused about.

jeff
sdg
USA Johnny_Cage
Commander
Commander

Member#: 9964

Johnny_Cage is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Johnny_Cage's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

In preparation for the Oscars, I watched The Social Network yesterday and listened to the score in it's intended environment: within the context of the film. And I still think it sucks.

I understand the intention behind making the music this way. Low-key electronic scores like this can provide a strong impact and create tension, like several of you have already pointed out. But I thought this score was just plain obnoxious. It did nothing to enhance my viewing experience and I was always relieved when the music stopped.
"You have been chosen to represent Earth in Mortal Kombat. Be warned. Although your souls are protected from Shao Kahn's evil: your lives are not. I cannot interfere any longer as your Earth is now ruled by the Outworld gods."
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have neither seen the movie nor heard the score, though I've been following the controversy on SST with interest. I only watched ten minutes of the Oscars last night, but they were the right ten minutes, and when I heard the win for The Social Network, I told my husband there would be blood in the forums today. Was I mistaken?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: