StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Timed Requests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Canada Sir_Rideout
Ensign
Ensign

aw

Member#: 19233

Sir_Rideout is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sir_Rideout's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:02 pm   Post subject: Timed Requests Reply with quote

I love hearing music I request here on SST, but find that I'm often only at my computer for short bursts followed by hours away (at least for the times of day I tune in to SST). This can make catching my requests difficult.

What I'm proposing is a feature which would allow me to set up a request in advance of it being added to the queue. At the time I submit my request, I'd also set a time I'd like the request added to the queue. Whether the request goes through would still be contingent on the track not having been played recently, and me not having requested too soon before my timed request takes place. Essentially, the only difference between this feature and regular requesting is that I could be out on my bike or downtown when my request is added to the queue, and arrange for it to play after I know I'll be back to my computer.

Thoughts? Concerns?

"... there is no honor in the victory where there is no danger in the way to it;...." - Seneca the Younger,
USA zgurl49
Commander
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I like the idea but what it the artist is already in the queue when your scheduled time comes around? That was the first thing that came to my mind...
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is going to happen. I believe the RIAA doesn't allow features that let you plan when your request is going to be played. That's why we don't have a feature that tells you how long until your req plays. Then it may become a play-on-demand service, rather than a radio station.

At least, I think I have this right.
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

We may not be in violation of the RIAA if the "reservation" is when it gets added to the queue and not when it plays. My first thought was that our etiquette discourages you from having things in the queue when you're not here to hear them. It seems like in this case you might intend to be around and then not make it back to hear it, which would violate our etiquette. I'm sure it wouldn't happen all the time, nor would it be intentional, but it is what I thought of first.

Also, given the support required to do this, and the major departure from our current operations, I think it'll take a lot of discussions and "what ifs" before we do something like this.

With that in mind, make your case everybody.

jeff
sdg
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the "danger" of requesting a track by remote and then not being around is much worse then it is now, when you request a track by hand and then having to leave before it plays.

Maybe it coud be abused though, or maybe it could lead to awkward jumps in queue size, like when 15 people decide that they all want to put a track in at 8 o'clock or something like that.

And to me it sounds complicated to set up such a system.
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 29261

Le_Curé is offline View user's profile Send private message View Le_Curé's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As a variation of Rideout's request:

It would be helpful, if I could enter a list of requests, which plays whenever there is the next free slot.

Even if the list is just limited in space, e.g. ten titles. If I request while lurking, I find it tedious to constantly have to watch, if the que is open. After all, SAM doesn't do anything else. That way I could enter a list of titles at the beginning of my session, knowing that they will eventually play. The list would be deleted, when I log off. Interceptions with artists in que can be programmed away, not permitted or put to the end of my list.

What do you think?
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that any titles you entered that way would rarely play, Le_Curé. Assuming that "free slot" means that SAM is making a request you're already fairly limited. Now add in all the other people who also have a list, plus all the "artist in queue" and "track recently played". And then delete the list when you log off. I'd guess that you'll occasionally get to hear one track from your list. It's a cool idea, but I don't think that it's worth the time and effort required on the site to implement it.

jeff
sdg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: