StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

San Diego Comic Con - Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
wrabbit
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13971

wrabbit is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View wrabbit's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:55 pm   Post subject: San Diego Comic Con - Advice Reply with quote

hello fellow SST'ers...

i was thinking of taking the plunge this summer and heading to the west coast for the san diego comic con this july, but i could use some advice as it's turning into a more expensive endeavor than i thought. i was planning to indulge in the full experience and come in on wednesday and stay through sunday, and would like to avoid renting a car while i'm there.

have any of you west coasters attended before? is it worth coming in early, or does all the stuff worth checking out really only happen saturday and sunday?

i'm still undecided at this point, but if anyone has any thoughts/advice, i'd love to hear it. and if anyone doesn't know what i'm talking about or thinks i'm crazy for going, then i'm a bigger nerd than i thought.

thanks in advance!
wrab
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 19134

JadedTitan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View JadedTitan's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wrabbit, first off Wednesday night preview is already sold out, so the regular Four day passes are the most you'll get. Ive been once and in my opinion going as many days as you can is the best option. There are different things to see each day, different panels to hear or things to see so if you have the money going all four days is a lot of fun. But also just going the weekend is good as most of the GOOD stuff happens then. It really depends on what you want to see or get out of it... either way, hope you have a lot of fun Smile
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrabbit, that's awesome news that you're coming out West! Very Happy

Two of my children and 1 nephew work in the video game industry plus another who designs sets for these shows/expos. I've asked the 4 of them for their advice for you.

First to reply said: "We attended last year and will have a booth after a 4-5 year waiting period.

In terms of how many days. I thought 1 day was enough to walk the floor but I am not a big fan and was not interested in going to see all the panels/events and such.

If you end up waiting in lines you will probably need several days."
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrabbit - here's advice from another:

"I went last year too! I agree with ___; you need several days if you plan to go to any panels because you spend and hour or two in line before each panel. And panels fill up so know what you want to get into ahead of time and show up very early. I'd say go at least 2 days."

Wrab, I'm double-checking with them again re your question about arriving on Wednesday or waiting till week-end.
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Third one (the set designer) says: ".. i am not working on Comic Con this year. I AM working on E3... Playstation Press Event and Party.

I am probably in the same boat as __. I am not a huge fan, so one day... actually more like 2 hours... of walking the floor was more than enough for me. However, i had a blast during the after hours. The Gaslamp district is full of restaurants, hotels, and bars all walking distance from the convention center.

Waiting in line for panels and such takes up a LOT of time. if she's there to do that, she should spend much more time there (and be willing to get up EARLY to wait in line for some of the panels)"
wrabbit
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13971

wrabbit is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View wrabbit's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

jaded, two - thanks so much for your responses. they have been very helpful. jaded, your response was spot on with what i was thinking.

two, the gaslamp district looks very cool, so i had wanted to check that out. glad it's worth it!

p.s. two, your family has the coolest jobs EVER.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

wrabbit wrote:
two, your family has the coolest jobs EVER.

They sure do. I guess having computers around from the day they were born and buying all those Sierra games paid off. Wink

Wrab, you are going to have a blast! Let us know all the cool people you meet - and post pics from your phone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: