StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Request Search

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Class
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 23309

Class is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Class's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:07 pm   Post subject: Request Search Reply with quote

A lot of times when searching for a particular artist and I click lets say John Williams and I'm looking for all of the Harry Potter ST's he has and I only see Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone & Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban. I know he did Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets where is this listing??? Well if I search for John Williams, William Ross or search for Harry Potter but I should be able find it by looking up John Williams or clicking a link on a item in the queue that I know is John Williams. Not always I know who the composer album name is and it is always hard for some to find out what to search for.

This part is mainly for the DB admin(s) and any geeks that might help out:
I believe from what I see all of these ST's only have one composer in some cases some do only have one composer for one ST's/track but many have one or more composers but are treated like one composer. In other words from what I am seeing your DB needs a bridge table to allow for multiple artists for one track/ST. I think if this can be done it might be easier to search for that ST from your favorite composer without doing a bunch of other unnecessary searching.
EX: a few minutes ago I searched Philip Glass to see if we had Dracula and didn't see anything until I tried to submit a request to get a message that there is already a ST with that ASIN and I searched up Dracula and found it and it was labeled as a artist of Philip Glass, Kronos Quartet and not just Philip Glass.

PHEW! I hope this makes sense if not ask me to clarify an item.
http://www.goodreads.com/class
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you've accurately described this (known) issue. It also impacts the playlist/artist in queue as well. It's my guess that the fix would introduce a major change to the database (having it handle multiple artists in separate fields) and isn't worth the risk to the site.

jeff
sdg
USA Class
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 23309

Class is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Class's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
I believe you've accurately described this (known) issue. It also impacts the playlist/artist in queue as well. It's my guess that the fix would introduce a major change to the database (having it handle multiple artists in separate fields) and isn't worth the risk to the site.

jeff
sdg

I guess I didn't think about impacting the queue. I'm not sure if you have tried this but have you guys thought of using 'like' and not '=' for the MySQL query? EX: where artist = 'John Williams' yields only fields with his name instead you could use something like where artist like '%John Williams%' which would fetch all records with only records that have John Williams in the artist and it doesn't matter if JW is found in first, middle or last part in the artist field? In other words having a loose vs strict search.
http://www.goodreads.com/class
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It is something I need to think about more in detail. Like Class says. It should not be too difficult.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: